First set of sticks

Thanks for all the responses so far. I have decided to make my own Monkey Sticks for now and if I don't get on with them before my DSC1 I will splash out on the primos. I have to admit I would rather spend the cash on other kit I can't make myself, as the annoying thing is that I am a "Metalsmith" to trade (Blacksmith, welder, lathe op and Sheet Metal Worker all rolled into one) but do not have access to any kit to make my own sticks from metal (and they would be better that any shop bought set :) )

As Klenchblaize said "Any competent & caring supplier of this DMQ course will have suitable sticks aplenty to let you use and FOC. Indeed I know one provider who, if they see you struggle with what you have purchased, will cast them aside in favour of ensuring your use of their sticks. "

I have been told that I can only use kit that I bring with me on the range day e.g. rucksack for prone etc.

Thanks again to everyone and will be asking more "daft questions" later......Whats the best rifle? whats the best ammo? Whats the best way to open a can of worms?

After reading a few threads on here (humourous and sarcastic) I can almost see the eyes rolling into the back of peoples heads already in exasperation :) :)

Cris

I have had a set of tri sticks now for about 10 years. Can deploy them quickly and usable from prone to standing and any height in between. Not used quod sticks by they do look more stable. Just look a bit cumbersome for me.

countrryboy

An easy and very cheap way is those BQ metal canes with an exhaust rubber to hold them together so it will slide up and down a wee bit to alter hieght.
Bit of duct tape and pipe lagging to the legs to stop them 'clanking' And u can experiment with 2 or 3 legs
Even the 4 legged 1's aren't hard to make if u want a play, few times i've used them always found them ackward (but mibee never played with them enough, as those who like them swear by them)

Does the job fine, even cut a tiny set for sitting if u really have to.

Plusa lot in the future will depend on wot type of stalking u do.

Sonicdmb73

I have had a set of tri sticks now for about 10 years. Can deploy them quickly and usable from prone to standing and any height in between. Not used quod sticks by they do look more stable. Just look a bit cumbersome for me.
I have gone from a single stick through doubles tripod etc. With all honesty quads are a different ballgame. I am happy to shoot foxes rabbits etc at over 200 yards off them. Something I wouldn’t do off the others I have tried. They are quick enough to deploy too.

hoodwink

I am another advocate of quad sticks. I use two types one being limulus sticks, very good they take a little getting used to but very stable and very good for walking with over broken ground or hills, i also use Viperflex again very good quicker to deploy, not so good for walking with and a pain in the Rs in a wind even with the new deflectors they still whistle, so insulation tape the holes but then they dont close for stowing in the truck.
For kneeling shots grip of the side of the angled leg this is plenty good enough i prefer sitting to kneeling but it really is for shots that are relatively close like the DSC1 test is at 40 meters. Most of us started out with home made sticks which are fine.

Just looking through this again and noticed this ..... Around the one minute mark.... Picks up rifle from rack behind him (out of vision to him previously), doesn't check it's safe before mounting it onto the 'wonder sticks'. Then proceeds to 'walk' the rifle/stick combo about to demo the versatility of the set-up with his ruddy finger on the trigger !

John the Range Master says "Put it away. Go home. Don't come back!"