First set of sticks

rab19

Thanks for all the responses so far. I have decided to make my own Monkey Sticks for now and if I don't get on with them before my DSC1 I will splash out on the primos. I have to admit I would rather spend the cash on other kit I can't make myself, as the annoying thing is that I am a "Metalsmith" to trade (Blacksmith, welder, lathe op and Sheet Metal Worker all rolled into one) but do not have access to any kit to make my own sticks from metal (and they would be better that any shop bought set :) )

As Klenchblaize said "Any competent & caring supplier of this DMQ course will have suitable sticks aplenty to let you use and FOC. Indeed I know one provider who, if they see you struggle with what you have purchased, will cast them aside in favour of ensuring your use of their sticks. "

I have been told that I can only use kit that I bring with me on the range day e.g. rucksack for prone etc.

Thanks again to everyone and will be asking more "daft questions" later......Whats the best rifle? whats the best ammo? Whats the best way to open a can of worms?

After reading a few threads on here (humourous and sarcastic) I can almost see the eyes rolling into the back of peoples heads already in exasperation :) :)

Cris

I have had a set of tri sticks now for about 10 years. Can deploy them quickly and usable from prone to standing and any height in between. Not used quod sticks by they do look more stable. Just look a bit cumbersome for me.

countrryboy

An easy and very cheap way is those BQ metal canes with an exhaust rubber to hold them together so it will slide up and down a wee bit to alter hieght.
Bit of duct tape and pipe lagging to the legs to stop them 'clanking' And u can experiment with 2 or 3 legs
Even the 4 legged 1's aren't hard to make if u want a play, few times i've used them always found them ackward (but mibee never played with them enough, as those who like them swear by them)

Does the job fine, even cut a tiny set for sitting if u really have to.

Plusa lot in the future will depend on wot type of stalking u do.

Sonicdmb73

I have had a set of tri sticks now for about 10 years. Can deploy them quickly and usable from prone to standing and any height in between. Not used quod sticks by they do look more stable. Just look a bit cumbersome for me.
I have gone from a single stick through doubles tripod etc. With all honesty quads are a different ballgame. I am happy to shoot foxes rabbits etc at over 200 yards off them. Something I wouldn’t do off the others I have tried. They are quick enough to deploy too.

hoodwink

I am another advocate of quad sticks. I use two types one being limulus sticks, very good they take a little getting used to but very stable and very good for walking with over broken ground or hills, i also use Viperflex again very good quicker to deploy, not so good for walking with and a pain in the Rs in a wind even with the new deflectors they still whistle, so insulation tape the holes but then they dont close for stowing in the truck.
For kneeling shots grip of the side of the angled leg this is plenty good enough i prefer sitting to kneeling but it really is for shots that are relatively close like the DSC1 test is at 40 meters. Most of us started out with home made sticks which are fine.

Longstrider

Just looking through this again and noticed this ..... Around the one minute mark.... Picks up rifle from rack behind him (out of vision to him previously), doesn't check it's safe before mounting it onto the 'wonder sticks'. Then proceeds to 'walk' the rifle/stick combo about to demo the versatility of the set-up with his ruddy finger on the trigger !

John the Range Master says "Put it away. Go home. Don't come back!"

Koenig

I see some posters are making mention of Primos sticks where the leg/s jam up.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that detail fixes.

And another where an American shooter just removes a little plastic split collar to get the leg extending again.

I am going to try fixing mine and my mates shortly (same problem). I’ll let you all know how I get on.

In answer to the original question, my Primos G2’s were great for the DSC1 Shoot test.

hendrix's rifle

I see some posters are making mention of Primos sticks where the leg/s jam up.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that detail fixes.

And another where an American shooter just removes a little plastic split collar to get the leg extending again.

I am going to try fixing mine and my mates shortly (same problem). I’ll let you all know how I get on.

In answer to the original question, my Primos G2’s were great for the DSC1 Shoot test.
I've got the new trigger sticks, gen 3? Anyway, I've heard a lot about them sticking but never had a problem. Not sure if it was earlier models only, I've not cleaned them properly, only to wipe the blood off. No lubing or oiling and usually get left in the car whether there wet or dry! Think they solved the problem

Koenig

Hendrix, I thought I had Looked after mine pretty well, and they were over two years old before one leg started playing up (sticking). I am not sure oiling them helps. One of the PH’s I was in RSA with last year recommended a graphite powder lubricant. I am not sure about that to be honest. My mate’s sticks (same model) are slightly older, and we’ve agreed to try and fix both when I next get over to his or vice-versa. I’ll post on here an update once we’ve finished. I’d hate to have to toss them out as I quite like them. I hope the G3 has solved the problem through improved design. More to follow.

Wapinschaw

I made a pair of sticks from a couple of lengths of timber with a bolt as a swivel and some small magnets to hold them closed. The first time I used them one broke at a previously invisible fault line in the grain. Bugger!

I tried a friend's trigger sticks on the range and liked them, however I went for Viperflex quads because of their robustness. They are made like medical crutches, with spring loaded pegs popping into adjustment holes. They can be used as a walking and dragging aid which could cause major problems with a tripod trigger set, while agreeing with the comment above about wind noise, it is easily solved with some tape over the holes. I agree that means they can't easily be telescoped shut, but wood poles don't telescope either so no disadvantage there. They provide great stability in use although you do need to practice to get the hang of them and sort out the length adjustment, a few sessions with a .22 is all you need.

They are not cheap, but what swayed my decision was a photo the UK distributors sent me of a set of sticks placed between two low tables as a bridge, with a man standing on the middle of them. Having used them as a walking, fence climbing and wading aid on some pretty rough ground, then deploying, shooting and dragging deer with them I am a very satisfied customer.

Tim.243

Thanks for all the responses so far. I have decided to make my own Monkey Sticks for now and if I don't get on with them before my DSC1 I will splash out on the primos. I have to admit I would rather spend the cash on other kit I can't make myself, as the annoying thing is that I am a "Metalsmith" to trade (Blacksmith, welder, lathe op and Sheet Metal Worker all rolled into one) but do not have access to any kit to make my own sticks from metal (and they would be better that any shop bought set :) )

As Klenchblaize said "Any competent & caring supplier of this DMQ course will have suitable sticks aplenty to let you use and FOC. Indeed I know one provider who, if they see you struggle with what you have purchased, will cast them aside in favour of ensuring your use of their sticks. "

I have been told that I can only use kit that I bring with me on the range day e.g. rucksack for prone etc.

Thanks again to everyone and will be asking more "daft questions" later......Whats the best rifle? whats the best ammo? Whats the best way to open a can of worms?

After reading a few threads on here (humourous and sarcastic) I can almost see the eyes rolling into the back of peoples heads already in exasperation :):)

I would make 2 sets using the B & Q, poles, all the commercially made ones use a pin/bolt for the pivot.
The rubber band fixings work off the sticks binding and wanting to close, that is fine if you have the time to practice (which you wont says my money)

If you don't ever use the short set after the test then pass them on like many things are on SD..

Regarding borrowing sticks on the day that you haven't used or suite your height is just "stupid"

Flip it around to your driving test and use a car you have never driven, the seat wont adjust to your leg room and the mirrors are not the same etc ....

It may sound harsh but as a shooter you have to rely on your self when taking a shot as the " providers " wont be there!

Good luck with the test.

Tim.243

paulbshooting

For your DSC1 I would get or try to borrow a set of quad sticks to give yourself the best chance. Some folk get intimidated shooting in front of others. Given up on the Primos, two sets now have failed on the mechanism. The guy at Bushwear said they get a few back. I have the early Viperflex - not cheap, heavy and takes some getting used to but well worth it. Great stability and confidence for longer shoots when you can use the bipod. For close range in wooland on munty patrol I use DIY B&Q sticks.

Milligan

B&q and made up as per monkeyspankers instructions.
I can sell you some for £200 quid if you are intent on parting with your money :)