First Sika Stag of the Season

jamross65

night track.jpg

A guest shot this stag at 8.45pm on Thursday, first of the season. It ran off after taking the bullet from a 270 in the shoulder (so much for this so called 'pinning deer') not that that was the deliberate intention, just where it struck. It took off and couldn't be found on initial search and no blood or hair could be seen in the poor light.

I went back about an hour later with the dog and she had her first track in the dark with me wearing a head-torch.

She found a small piece of bone on the track and then indicated hair on the top of a rabbit netting fence and was desperate to get over. The stag was lying about 20m further on in cover. It had ran no more than 100m. It went 140lbs on the hook before the head and cape came off as the guest is having it shoulder mounted, definitely an older stag past its best but good weight in the antler. Should be a nice trophy given the colours of its coat, sorry as the night shot does not really show that...

straightbetweentheeyes

Well done Brian and well done whiskey, excellent team work:thumb: that's what it's all about, I know its not her first find but I bet you had a huge grin?!!

Regards, Jez

jamross65

Handsome pair sounds a good dog I bet it makes you proud!

Very pleased with her. Can't claim these tracks are difficult for her, more interesting as I am learning with her, never having had a scenthound but luckily I have a few very experienced friends to keep me right.

what she is very good at is stalking with her. Walks well to heel and stops and sits without command when I stop to spy, indicates deer in front very well with a raised head and obvious alertness suddenly. Needs to grow up a bit though as still a lot if puppy attitude in her!

jamross65

Well done Brian and well done whiskey, excellent team work:thumb: that's what it's all about, I know its not her first find but I bet you had a huge grin?!!

Regards, Jez

More from the point of view it was at night Jez and that's a knew experience for her. We were confident the stag would be dead otherwise it would have waited to the morning, ruined carcass or not...

sauer

wow
hardy brutes..
yer dog sounds like a right asset to you and a'the best with her and yer future...
will have to get sorted and get myself some sika stalking booked....

never seems to be enough time..........
paul

6pointer

Brian was that a high seat SIKA or a stalked Sika. It would be interesting to know what % are free stalked and what % are ambushed. Well done to you guest on a nice sika to start your season and well done to the dog.Etsy find no doubt but always a relief .

stone

A nice cull stag there Brian....
And whisky prooving her metal...

as mentioned already .. You do need a good dog for Sika more often than not

If I was your client I would be pleased too

stone

Brian was that a high seat SIKA or a stalked Sika. It would be interesting to know what % are free stalked and what % are ambushed. Well done to you guest on a nice sika to start your season and well done to the dog.Etsy find no doubt but always a relief .

Interesting question
is sat waiting at a vantage point after watching the deer move and pre empting where they are moving too classed as ambushed deer or not

as Sika are not the easiest of deer to stalk , so waiting for them to come to you is a good alternative regardless of sitting in a high seat

jamross65

Hi Davie

That one was out a high seat.

Hard to say percentage wise, its a good question. Guests, probably 75% high seat because in forestry or woodland better chance waiting for them to come to you, especially if there are two of you. When on my own, probably 50/50. Some of my ground is good for stalking and sitting for a bit.

Funnily enough I was out with a friend tonight and he never even reached his intended high seat. He Shot a knobber on the way in from a group of several stags, then while starting to gralloch it another group came out so he shot another knobber from it as well! One went home with him, the other is here with me!!! A year old beast makes good eating. I sat up a seat and had a nice 7 pointer and a 6 pointer both within 100m and a few hinds and calves but nothing for shooting for me. I have a few seats Davie that I would al ost bet money on seeing deer from but some folk prefer to go for a walk......

i think of you asked that question of the FC however you would get a 3rd option in the percentages! ;)

jamross65

Interesting question
is sat waiting at a vantage point after watching the deer move and pre empting where they are moving too classed as ambushed deer or not

as Sika are not the easiest of deer to stalk , so waiting for them to come to you is a good alternative regardless of sitting in a high seat

Didn't see your post Richard but you also mirror what I said, a bit of walking and sitting from vantage points. Guess that's a combined stalk/sit effort then!

Wildboar1973

Well done!
May I add one a bit critical advise...:
The stag was shot in the later evening, no signs found at all...
You put a (younger) dog after 1 hour on a still "warm" track, with maybe some more sikas around in the cover...
What would have happenend when you, seeing almost nothing going on ahead of your dog, would have bumped a wounded stag out of his wound bed?
It would have been horrible hard work the next day, for sure...
We only do some night trackings, if and when we find definetive signs of a deadly shot (lung blood) on the impact spot.
Everything else has to wait till good daylight the next day....
​But: It worked out great, so well done Brian and Whiskey! You good alucky smiling guest and showed a good team performance!

jamross65

Well done!
May I add one a bit critical advise...:
The stag was shot in the later evening, no signs found at all...
You put a (younger) dog after 1 hour on a still "warm" track, with maybe some more sikas around in the cover...
What would have happenend when you, seeing almost nothing going on ahead of your dog, would have bumped a wounded stag out of his wound bed?
It would have been horrible hard work the next day, for sure...
We only do some night trackings, if and when we find definetive signs of a deadly shot (lung blood) on the impact spot.
Everything else has to wait till good daylight the next day....
​But: It worked out great, so well done Brian and Whiskey! You good alucky smiling guest and showed a good team performance!

Hi Michael

No issue in critical advice being offered, we are all here to learn. ;)

I was in a bit of a dilemma as the lack of sign was one thing but the description of the shot and confidence from the other guide (very experienced stalker) that the shot was good and the beast was only a short distance from them when hit suggested the stag would be found dead. He was as confident as he could be given the bullet strike he witnessed and the reaction from the stag. Would I have been as confident if it had been a guest left on their own????? Eh............ No!

The dog found the shot site no problem but as you suggest, her lack of experience meant stead of showing any sign there caused her to immediately begin tracking as the scent was only an hour old.

On reflection if this happened again I would spend more time myself at the shot site trying to find sign in the torchlight before beginning to track....

​Regards...

Jimbo 30 06

Excellent result is this your first Teckel she obviously wants to please and this is down to your efforts in training her. Well done all round i say. :thumb:

Kind regards Jimbo