First staking rifle 25 06 ?

deeangeo

Can't think why not! - more than man enough for all UK quarry & most other kinds in the US & Europe. :thumb:

Monkey Spanker

Perfect choice, as you'll never need another - unless you really want one! I started with a 25.06 and still use one now. Wouldn't be without one.
MS

Fursty Ferret

I know very little of this calibre....what are its pros and cons?
A good foxing calibre? Similar in characteristics to the 243?

6pt-sika

25-06 with a 100-117 grain bullet is an excellent 300 yard plus deer rifle and IMHO the best groundhog rifle bar none . I've seen many many groundhogs shot at 300-400 yards with 25-06's by myself and others using 75-87 grain bullets .

I had a Remington 700 Stainless Fluted Sendero in 25-06 that was a consistent 1/4 MOA rifle while shooting the Sierra 87 grain bullet . Thought it might do better with an 87 grain Berger but no suck luck !

I've killed a good number of whitetail deer over the years with a 25-06 using the Nosler 115 BT or the Hornady 117 SST . Have my wifes left handed Ranger Arms 25-06 sighted in with the Nosler 100 grain BT , wanna see how that ones gonna do this year !

Monkey Spanker

I know very little of this calibre....what are its pros and cons?
A good foxing calibre? Similar in characteristics to the 243?

Perfect for all UK deer + foxes! A fair bit quicker than a .243 with a heavier bullet choice. I use 115 grainers for everything from Muntjac to large lowland red stags. You need to be reloading though to get the best out of it as factory can be quite expensive. If I could only ever have one rifle, this would be it!
MS

arron

that would be a cracking choice of rifle , as for foxing it is superb , i used mine for a good few years as an all rounder after selling my 243 as was no longer used , however on renewal i was told that i could not use it for foxing at night and had to rebuy a 243 for this purpose , dont ask why as i am still nobbed off about it ! so do check with your licenesing police force first , atb arron.

Muddy Springer

First staking rifle 25 06 ?
Go for it . 117 grainers, factory or homeloads, bloody superb from fox to reds. Ranges out to 400+ without issue. Fast, flat, accurate as hell is my tikka 695. Keep thinking about other cals, but can't be arsed as its hard to beat.

jimbo1984

Nothing wring with that choice at all it will deal with anything in the uk , I met a fellow in Alberta who regularly used a 25 06 for moose and elk ! So it will drop big reds no problem

jamross65

70grn doing silly speed for fox and up to 120's for anything big? Perfect!

I shot me for a few years at Sika and loved it. Soft to shoot as well when moderated.

Personally would say its a completely different beast to a 243 and far more versatile. Its not just about bullet weight, its the speed it drives them at that counts for the high energy it produces. I shot everything with 100grn Hornady SP at the time and they did a good job...

roe2506

Fantastic calibre,have shot roe at upto 300yds and they drop on the spot and very minimal meat damage. Get one bought, very versatile calibre

jamross65

Thank you for the replies! Any thoughts on make and model and barrel length?

That will cause a healthy debate!!!:D

I was told by Callum Ferguson who I think knows his stuff, that they really benefit from longer than 24'' barrels to get the best out of slow burning powder like H4831SC which is what I used in mine and it was 26''. However I have read a few on here saying they still get good MV out barrels considerably shorter...