First stalk

So got out on my first stalking day wednesday, took my howa 243 which I've had for a week, first Chinese we spotted would wouldn't stand still so I wasn't comfortable taking the shot and ended standing somewhere unsafe to shoot so carried on a couple of fields later my guide spotted one near the hedge line, as we was deciding the best way to gain some ground she just ran in to the field before stopping by this time I was lay flat using his deer bag to rest on, once he said he was happy for me to take the shot I sent off a round to hit her hard in the lung heart area where she ran about 80yds before dropping. Made my day first deer with my own rifle. :)

Congratulations! I had a similar experience for my first attempt at a Chinese water deer. We'd barely set out into a field in the morning when one appeared within range at the edge of the field. Mentally, I wasn't yet in stalking mode, and I tried using a hay bale as a rest to lean against, but I just couldn't steady the rifle onto the deer fast enough before it scarpered. Lesson learnt there... How did you find preparing it afterwards? The skin comes off like a rabbit's, but the hair ends up all over the place. It's great venison though.

Congratulations! I had a similar experience for my first attempt at a Chinese water deer. We'd barely set out into a field in the morning when one appeared within range at the edge of the field. Mentally, I wasn't yet in stalking mode, and I tried using a hay bale as a rest to lean against, but I just couldn't steady the rifle onto the deer fast enough before it scarpered. Lesson learnt there... How did you find preparing it afterwards? The skin comes off like a rabbit's, but the hair ends up all over the place. It's great venison though.
It was the first time up close to one and amazed how thick the coat is and like you said drops out like my spaniels does .lol

Back