First time FAC application

Hi all, am a fairly new member and recently started shooting - at Bisley and have done a couple of days stalking in the South West going after Reds and Roe, just taken Roe so far, greatly enjoying it! Plan to get up to the highlands in August, and shoot some driven boar in Europe in the Autumn too. Grew up with shotguns, shot centrefire in the army, but not much hunting experience.

Am leaning towards .22 and .308 on my application, but wondered if .308 is a bit lumpy for my first application? And if I get a letter from the stalker I’ve been out with, what should it say ideally to help my application please? I’m guessing that I’ve hunted on land that has reds with his .308 and am safe? Lastly I’m going to put in for target now with a variation for hunting once I’ve been out 4-5 times and have my DSC1 (down to try that in March). Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you!

Tom270

Firstly I would get an application pack from your local Firearms dept rather than download off the internet, I found everything I needed in the pack and would have been stuff missing otherwise.
I would apply for what you want all at one go, good reason is good reason and if you are going to be stalking that's what I'd put on the application. I had a .270 on first grant and don't see why there would be a problem with a 308. I am sure there are those with more experience who will post assistance.
Looks like you are going the right away about things. Tom

Tazz

Hi all, am a fairly new member and recently started shooting - at Bisley and have done a couple of days stalking in the South West going after Reds and Roe, just taken Roe so far, greatly enjoying it! Plan to get up to the highlands in August, and shoot some driven boar in Europe in the Autumn too. Grew up with shotguns, shot centrefire in the army, but not much hunting experience.

Am leaning towards .22 and .308 on my application, but wondered if .308 is a bit lumpy for my first application? And if I get a letter from the stalker I’ve been out with, what should it say ideally to help my application please? I’m guessing that I’ve hunted on land that has reds with his .308 and am safe? Lastly I’m going to put in for target now with a variation for hunting once I’ve been out 4-5 times and have my DSC1 (down to try that in March). Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you!
I am sure you will get a number of opinions on this subject with different experiences with different police authorities. My view is make the decision to grant your FAC as compelling as you can by showing a level of comitement and effort on your part, here is what I did

Apply for a single “mid size” centerfire calibre that would be seen as common for stalkers and target shooters if that’s what you are going to do 243/308

Go out with at least two professional stalkers who are prepared to do you a letter saying, safe and competent understanding basic safe backstops and rifle handling safety

Join somewhere like Bisley and pass their one day range test

Book your DSS1 to show Stalking is something you are keen to do, I passed the pre DSC1 one day course prior to my application and had the DSC1 booked

Show them any copies/invoices regarding stalking you have been on or stuff in the future you have booked

You don’t have to do any of the above but IMHO it helps your case

Tazz

Thank you very much for the replies - helpful, and good to know re calibre. Does anyone know what a letter from a stalker should say if being used to support an application/variation for hunting? I’ve been out 4 times and used a .270/.308 so want to get that in there to help.

Scapegoat

You'll be fine with a .308 as a first rifle, but, rightly or wrongly some forces will want to know that you have sufficient knowledge and experience of such a calibre. A letter from the stalker should sort that for you.

Don't go thinking it's too lumpy.....it's no worse than many others as long as you choose the right round. My T3 lite is particularly polite for such a light rifle with a reflex moderator, a smoothly loaded 150grain round and good technique.

Scapegoat

Thank you very much for the replies - helpful, and good to know re calibre. Does anyone know what a letter from a stalker should say if being used to support an application/variation for hunting? I’ve been out 4 times and used a .270/.308 so want to get that in there to help.
I have occasionally provided recommendation letters for applicants, and tend to use the following formula:

"I have been asked to provide evidence of Mr Applicant's knowledge and experience of shooting with a .308 rifle. I am a rifle shooter with experience of range and field shooting with a wide variety of calibres over a number of years.

He has accompanied me on a number of occasions and on each of those occasions has demonstrated an excellent level of firearms safety in his manner of handling, carrying and firing the rifle.

We discussed the round's capabilities, velocities and energy levels, and he showed good understanding of the suitability of the round for making humane killing shots on intended quarry species.

On the practice range he showed exemplary safety and discipline.

Under my supervision in the field we took the opportunity to discuss suitable backstops for that calibre (and indeed any other) on a number of occasions, and it was clear from those discussions in various situations that he knew when to take a shot, but more importantly when not to.

He demonstrated that he was capable of researching the land and the need to consider factors such as the location of roads, bridleways and footpaths, as well as ricochet risks.

In conclusion I can state that Mr Applicant should be considered as a suitable applicant for this calibre. "

Hope this helps!

palmer_mike

I applied for and was granted .308 on my first application.

This was on the strength of booked paid stalks ony at that time.
I was asked whether the land I would be stalking on was passed for .308 and as it was there was no problem!

The ony advice I would give would be to apply for the rifle on the strength of deer stalking and target use rather than target only. This will save fannying about later and you can justify it now anyway!

Thanks for this - so with just four accompanied stalks and a letter from the guy taking me out, do you think it’s worth putting in for hunting and target? I was planning to put in for target then a variation in a few months in time for the autumn.

Thanks a lot for the replies, very helpful!

25 Sharps

Thanks for this - so with just four accompanied stalks and a letter from the guy taking me out, do you think it’s worth putting in for hunting and target? I was planning to put in for target then a variation in a few months in time for the autumn.

Thanks a lot for the replies, very helpful!
Are you a full member of a target club with small bore and full bore range access? If not then you will struggle with the target condition.

25 Sharps

In that case I would up your application if the club shoots different disciplines, gallery rifle for example? .223 for close range .308 for longer? If you don't use the slot you have an opportunity for a free 1-4-1 later on should you decide you need something else. Don't forget to apply for moderators for each rifle, even if you don't use for the same reason as above. Good luck

In that case I would up your application if the club shoots different disciplines, gallery rifle for example? .223 for close range .308 for longer? If you don't use the slot you have an opportunity for a free 1-4-1 later on should you decide you need something else. Don't forget to apply for moderators for each rifle, even if you don't use for the same reason as above. Good luck
This is good advice thank you - also rifle I am set on after shooting is modular/calibre changes possible so that would work. I do fancy 223 as it’s so cheap to shoot. I was hoping to put in for 303 a bit later too so I can shoot a bit of historic stuff, and maybe some woodland stalking on the smaller species. Will add .223!

Whitebeard

Lastly I’m going to put in for target now with a variation for hunting once I’ve been out 4-5 times and have my DSC1 (down to try that in March). Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you!
Hi you wont get a condition for target shooting unless you are a member of a Shooting club, with access to or fascilities to use the class of firearm you intend to own,

Ian.