Fishing - They Dont All Have To Be Huge!

Night Vision Store

jamross65

My mates trout fishery has a great population of pike and perch, although for the last few years the perch were very scarce. Well this year they seem to be back in big numbers. We were out having a go at them on Monday and again today. We had well over 100 fish between us on Monday and probably just under that number today, and for not much more than a couple of hours fishing each day. Biggest probably 3/4lb and all caught on Greys 5'6" 2-5lb line rating spinning rods using a drop shot technique with either tiny imitation rubber fish or worms on a single hook. Great wee rods that let even small fish give you a bit of fun. Im actually going to give the rod a go for grilse later...

I had 9 fish today for 9 casts. Every single one of the fish caugt over the two days was returned to the water without harm as all seem to get hooked lightly and most through top lip the way the hook sits on the line.

It has probably been well over 20 years since I last caught a perch as these days I am normally chasing salmon or fishing for pike with the fly. I know it sounds a bit poetic but to be honest it was the stuff of boyhood dreams when we were kids. My two lads are away on a holiday just now with their grandparents and when I told them on the phone about how many we had caught they were saying they can't wait to get home to go out for a go! Took some photos on the phone but can't seem to get them onto the PC. Will take some on the camera next time out.

Also forgot just how good looking a fish the Perch is...

Milligan

I totally agree. Small fish on light tackle is fun simply because the volume is likely to be higher.
Large mouth bass off weight 5 tackle in South Africa is possibly the most fun I've ever had fishing.
Catch with a barbless hook, release without removing from the water and cast again. :)

jamross65

I totally agree. Small fish on light tackle is fun simply because the volume is likely to be higher.
Large mouth bass off weight 5 tackle in South Africa is possibly the most fun I've ever had fishing.
Catch with a barbless hook, release without removing from the water and cast again. :)

The tiny spinning reels we use are loaded up with 8lb braid which helps to feel every movement from the fish as well. The biggest he has had of the loch a few years ago was just over 4lbs. Now that would be fun on those rods!

howy308

Sounds great fun as in all sports I find the true sportsman are not in it for trophies, biggest fish or numbers in game shooting but for the love of it.

teyhan1

My greatest fish in memory was a lowly 5' long wild brown trout.
Caught in waders standing in a river in the middle of winter in deepest Wales.
From memory it was caught with a black nymph trawling in a pool. The fish were there but they were hard to get to take anything.
I was frozen solid but refused to give up until I had at least one, which exactly what I caught, 1.
My wife THINKS I'm mad...........I KNOW I'm mad

mereside

nice to read i love my fishing and especially pike and perch as i grew up catching those.
I spent a week in italy a few weeks ago and off with my own rod i made down the stream for whatever was available rather than lying out at the pool.

forgot my polaroids so had to stick a klink on to see the strikes on a small black knat,
hope you are well Brian need to catch up with you shortly, atb wayne

Sounds great fun as in all sports I find the true sportsman are not in it for trophies, biggest fish or numbers in game shooting but for the love of it.
Totally agree, I get Americans travelling over here to fish for our native wild brown trout, the look of delight when they catch even the smallest WBT is a picture.
Cheers
Richard

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I remember when I was a boy catching a perch on a wasp, I wasn't getting bored, honest :D

John

BSAvale

Totally agree about the size or numbers of fish not being the point...I have caught fresh and sal****er fish over 400lb in various locations around the world, but I get just as much pleasure (and considerably less pain and bruises!) from catching gudgeon on the little river near me...beautiful little fish and great fun on light balanced tackle.

I am off fly fishing for bass all day Sunday in Wales...doesn't matter whether they are 2lb or double figure fish (although that would be great) they are great fun on the right gear.

Cyres

Couple of months ago my brother took me fishing on a small private lake in the borders. We took my no 3 son who has never caught a pike, lovely evening and as it was so weedy we opted to fish shallow lures and top waters. Well it was manic, after catching 20 + jacks we stopped counting, my son caught 3 lost 10 + several times we had 3 on at the same time. I have a lovely picture of my son with his first pike about 5lb. The problem is now he thinks pike fishing is easy.

They went mad and to watch a pike repeatly strike at a top water is exciting stuff, killing lures were a woodchopper and a pearl ripplin redfin. Brother was using a home made in line buzzer just fished sub surface and i let him keep it.

Very special evening could never happen again.

D

D

Eyefor

The best perch fishing I have ever experienced was at Loch Gelly in Fife (many years ago).

The locals used HUGE old round pike bungs with three treble hooks on droppers loaded with lob worm and would whack it out into the loch and just wait then reel in three perch all around 2lb which they then knocked on the head for eating. I often wonder if the fishing is still any good (maybe not with all those perch being killed)?

Best ever roach fishing was on the Tay in the centre of Perth - near the old abatoir, adjacent to the park.

Best ever wild brown trout fishing was on the Eden at Cupar (near the old sugar beet factory).

Best ever plaice fishing was in Crail harbour - unbelievable size.

The memories are so old they are all in black & white!!

What am I doing down here?

I keep promising myself to return for a weeks fishing. One day....

jamross65

trout fisheries full of pike and perch won't be trout fisheries for long surely?

Thats a popular misconception. Waters tend to balance themselves out with the Eco system, the problems arise when man tries to intervene to assist nature.

Pike eat other pike. Perch eat smaller perch. Pike eat perch. Trout feeding top of the water and stocked at 2lbs are generally okay. Yes, some will be taken by larger pike, but a big pike taking a good size trout will perhaps not take another fish for a considerable time. The rainbow trout re triploids (sexless fish) so there is no natural regeneration of them in the loch.

There are some cracking brownies in the water and they are caught up to 6-7lbs every year.

It is a 100acre trout fishery run as a private syndicate and not open to the public. But why not allow the other fish to flourish and have that diversity as well? The water is stocked each year with rainbows at the start of the season Nd given the rise of fish that occurs there is certainly no shortage of numbers caused by predation from pike. And the over wintered rainbows caught each year certainly testify to that.

I recall an I cident on Lake of Menteith one year when the guy in the boat near us hooked into a large fish they obviously thought was a trout. It took a good 10 minutes or so to get it to the net when they discovered it was a pike about 8lbs. They started cursing and calling the fish all sort of names and one of them started to batter it over the head about 20 times with the priest as it lay in the bottom of the boat. When we came in that evening it had just been dumped on the beach with its head literally missing. It was a disgusting way to treat such a fish in my opinion and an indictation of their ignorance (that's not directed at you bewesher!). Even if it was to be killed it shouldn't have been done so with the ridiculous show that pair put on for everyone watching from roundabout.

My mate has been in the fishery business for over 40 years and there is not much he doesn't know about rearing trout and running a fishery. He will probably comment on this thread at some point but I know when he reads this he will agree favourably about things being left in balance and the diversity of being able to catch 20lb+ pike on the fly one minute, then fishing the evening rise with CDC dries for some cracking trout later the same day...

bobthedug

Reading that brought back fond memories as a young boy I learned to fish for pike and perch in a large pond near where I grew up.
I remember the delight at my folks buying me fishing tackle that I got to pick from a catalogue that my mother had brought in from her work!
I remember pouring a basin of soapy water on the drying green and 10 mins later collecting the worms that came to the surface for bait.
I also recall a local fishery which lost a huge amount of fish to some disease and the owners has a policy of killing every pike or perch caught. It seems the lack of these predators contributed to the disease spreading as the sick ones would have been eaten.

jamross65

Reading that brought back fond memories as a young boy I learned to fish for pike and perch in a large pond near where I grew up. I remember the delight at my folks buying me fishing tackle that I got to pick from a catalogue that my mother had brought in from her work! I remember pouring a basin of soapy water on the drying green and 10 mins later collecting the worms that came to the surface for bait. I also recall a local fishery which lost a huge amount of fish to some disease and the owners has a policy of killing every pike or perch caught. It seems the lack of these predators contributed to the disease spreading as the sick ones would have been eaten.

you were spoilt! My first rod was a cane thing with wire eyes whipped onto it from Woolworths! Got it when about 4 years old and caught wee trout on it from the Lyne Water in West Linton on worms with my grandfather.... Happy memories

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing