Flask recommendations please

griffshrek

For a flask size "flask" you can't go wrong with SS Stanley they are bullet proof and great , do as others have said and always pre-heat any flask and you'll get a good 8 hrs from the Stanley.

I now tend to use the smaller 500ml drink from flasks for ease of use and convenience.

I've got a Zojirushi 500ml hand flask this thing is unreal it keeps liquids hot for ages . An example of this is to go out foxing last night at 7pm i filled up the Zojirushi and my drink now flask the "Avex".

I only drank the coffee from my " Avex" as it was only a quick outing , I left the Zojirushi in the truck all night and remembered it at 11am today . The coffee was still too hot to drink this morning, considering the temperature last night with me was -1 all night .

The Zojirushi flaska are not cheap but really good .a cheaper alternative is the smaller 450/500 ml screw top flasks from
Go Outdoors not expensive but very good .

Good luck on the flask hunt

sauer

Jet boil senior management are anti hunting .... nice kit but won’t get my money

Alpkit brukit version lot cheaper does same

And their owners aren’t pro hunting per se but as long as it’s sustainable ethical management hunting they ok with it.

This I got direct by email after asking

Paul

Leupsak

I tend to use a flask for 3 hour sessions in the high seat but for all day and to top up the flask it has to be the kelly kettle.
I keep water, tea bags and a bag of tumble dryer lint as fire lighter in the truck and just add a flask of cold milk each day.
This way I always have hot water and can heat a tin of all day breakfast too and all for the cost of a few twigs.
Ive had my Kellys for 30+ years, a 1 pint for when I'm billy no mates or a 3 pint for parties or when I want to fill flasks.

Last edited:

enfieldspares

Some folks...in olden times...kept the brewed tea ONLY in the thermos flask and the milk to add to the cup separate. So the earlier addition of the milk didn't prematurely cool down the tea.

Alantoo

Some folks...in olden times...kept the brewed tea ONLY in the thermos flask and the milk to add to the cup separate. So the earlier addition of the milk didn't prematurely cool down the tea.
Can't abide stewed milk so I only ever put black coffee in the flask. Don't have milk in tea so no worries there.

Alan

Scotty99

My daughter bought me a Stanley flask for Christmas, I've used it several times since. It keeps things not just warm but too hot to drink for up to 6 hours. Go and get a Stanley.

AdrianC

To be honest, I find the cheap flasks in Asda for a fiver keeps coffee hot all day.
Metal construction and liner. Bloody good.

plonker

Thermos ultimate flask, quite often don't drink the flask all in an afternoon/evening and leave in the car overnight and it's still warm the following day!
Atb dave

mikeakc

I’m sure there are good quality cheap flasks out there but it’s a gamble for certain. I once ran an experiment with a mate to settle an argument (I was advocating the cheap flask - no brand, from Asda).

We put the two flasks out in the snow, both preheated and filled with just boiled water. The cheap one’s contents were almost snow temperature after three hours whereas the Stanley’s contents were still hot. I ate my words and now put my trust in the Stanley brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alantoo

I’m sure there are good quality cheap flasks out there but it’s a gamble for certain. I once ran an experiment with a mate to settle an argument (I was advocating the cheap flask - no brand, from Asda).

We put the two flasks out in the snow, both preheated and filled with just boiled water. The cheap one’s contents were almost snow temperature after three hours whereas the Stanley’s contents were still hot. I ate my words and now put my trust in the Stanley brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds like a bad 'un rather than a brand difference.

I bought a premium brand (Stanley or Thermos, can't remember which) which as soon as it was filled up it felt warm...sure enough contents were cool in a few hours...I took it back to the shop but they didn't have one to swap it with so gave me my money back.

We have a couple of cheapish Zojirushi 1 litre ones which have been great for heat retention...sadly the cups didn't bounce so I decant into a Lifeventure stainless insulated mug.

Alan

caorach

Jet boil senior management are anti hunting .... nice kit but won’t get my money
I didn't know that Paul, but useful info for us all as we can strike jetboil off the list :)

MSR do a similar product as well, I know nothing about their position on "hunting" other than that in the US you'd alienate a lot of "outdoors" people by opposing it.

MSR® WindBurner® Windproof Personal Stove System | MSR Gear

Of late I've been carrying one of these:

WindPro™II: Liquid-feed canister stove with superior cold-weather and low-fuel performance.

In the distant past I used to carry a flask but having a stove gives a lot more flexibility and I would carrying everything from a hexi burning "cup" basically to either of two MSR stoves I have. If you have to carry your water and are out for limited time etc. then a flask might still make sense but especially if you don't have to carry your water then a small gas canister and a stove are a lighter and more handy solution. The other thing I find about having to stop to "brew up" is it gives you a little break as opposed to just grabbing a slug from a flask and carrying on and there are benefits from sitting down for 10 minutes and looking around you while you brew up and drink your tea, again that will not suit how everyone operates but I actually find the "enforced" tea time a good thing.

Dawnrazor

Thermos every time now, I had a Stanley for years, the green one, was brilliant until it got ran over one day and prerry much flattened, got a new on e that week, it didn't keep anything warm at all, phoned them, they said keep it but sent me a replacement, same thing happened....... twice, great service but they said they're no longer made in the USA now but China, this was 6 or 7 years ago so things may have changed but I bought the equivalent Thermos and would swap it.