Flask recommendations please

I didn't know that Paul, but useful info for us all as we can strike jetboil off the list :)

MSR do a similar product as well, I know nothing about their position on "hunting" other than that in the US you'd alienate a lot of "outdoors" people by opposing it.

MSR[emoji2400] WindBurner[emoji2400] Windproof Personal Stove System | MSR Gear

Of late I've been carrying one of these:

WindPro[emoji769]II: Liquid-feed canister stove with superior cold-weather and low-fuel performance.

In the distant past I used to carry a flask but having a stove gives a lot more flexibility and I would carrying everything from a hexi burning "cup" basically to either of two MSR stoves I have. If you have to carry your water and are out for limited time etc. then a flask might still make sense but especially if you don't have to carry your water then a small gas canister and a stove are a lighter and more handy solution. The other thing I find about having to stop to "brew up" is it gives you a little break as opposed to just grabbing a slug from a flask and carrying on and there are benefits from sitting down for 10 minutes and looking around you while you brew up and drink your tea, again that will not suit how everyone operates but I actually find the "enforced" tea time a good thing.

I’m the same
Part of the day is to stop .... my ground I head back to motor and a venison burger and a fresh coffee with an aero press at back of the motor on tailgate of the truck .

Sit refuel just sit and enjoy a view or like .... then refreshed for another stalk rest of day round another part of ground.

Not everyone’s ground is like that I appreciate .

I am really enjoying kelly kettle just now ...big version so it’s for at the motor or base camp type deal .
12049cd815862725fa33f98c57a53131.jpg

8d7b139a5c324848031309288455eef9.jpg

Here’s just in front of garage Xmas morning whilst kitchen was out of bounds as wife was in battle mode with Xmas dinner prep .... so I decided a venison cheese burger with bacon & a coffee was in order [emoji851].

I got the cooking implements with kelly kettle too

Paul

The trouble with vacuum flasks is size. Most will keep stuff hot for ages if unopened, but once you take a cupful out you let an equivalent amount of cold air in, and the remaining contents cools down rapidly. In a large flask, the cooling effect is less due to the larger volume of hot liquid remaining. However, for carrying in your pack all day you will want a smaller flask, say 500ml (which fits just handy in the small "drink bottle" pockets that most backpacks have these days), in which case as soon as you've taken out the first cupful the rest goes cold straight away.

I have a small push button top flask that for carrying all day ... el cheap from supermarket and I do not find contents go cold straight away at all.
Can take a small cup / mouthful etc them do again hour n half later and still warm enough to enjoy

Paul

OK guys I need some help please as my Mrs is blowing her stack saying I've a fetish due to the amount I've bought an binned.
Can anyone give me first hand knowledge of a hard wearing flask that will keep coffee HOT all day. Everyone I try is great at 10 o'clock but tepid by 1500, I still want to burn my lips on it in the truck on the way home after a long day in the field.
Much obliged
Jimmy
Have a Thermos 900ml stainless steel double wall vacuum flask, This keeps anything hot for as long as you wish, certainly easily attaining the 24 hours and more. Excellent sealing system as well.
Had this one for about 2 years which was a free replacement for one that lost vacuum after about 4 years, no question, no quibble, just excellent service, Like all kit, get the best and buy once

Stanley all day long.

Had mine years.

Key to them is pre heat them with boiling water for 20 mins and whatever you put in it thereafter will be steaming all day. :thumb:

Spot on the pre heat is essential, I've got a rake of absolutely brilliant flasks, I keep going back for the same three stanley flasks because they work, i only ever had one dodgy top i changed that and they have been faultless, i use two soup type ones you can use as cups as well and a large hot water flask as i like a fresh brew in the stainless steel stanley cup

ive had them a while the big one comes with a cool box which the flask clips into perfect

OK guys I need some help please as my Mrs is blowing her stack saying I've a fetish due to the amount I've bought an binned.
Can anyone give me first hand knowledge of a hard wearing flask that will keep coffee HOT all day. Everyone I try is great at 10 o'clock but tepid by 1500, I still want to burn my lips on it in the truck on the way home after a long day in the field.
Much obliged
Jimmy
Mrs got me a sho flask, went camping last winter with it and coffee was still hot 14 hours later. Easy to clean aswell, not expensive either

I have a small push button top flask that for carrying all day ... el cheap from supermarket and I do not find contents go cold straight away at all.
Can take a small cup / mouthful etc them do again hour n half later and still warm enough to enjoy

Paul
That's contrary to my experience with what sounds like the same type of flask!

The trouble with vacuum flasks is size. Most will keep stuff hot for ages if unopened, but once you take a cupful out you let an equivalent amount of cold air in, and the remaining contents cools down rapidly. In a large flask, the cooling effect is less due to the larger volume of hot liquid remaining. However, for carrying in your pack all day you will want a smaller flask, say 500ml (which fits just handy in the small "drink bottle" pockets that most backpacks have these days), in which case as soon as you've taken out the first cupful the rest goes cold straight away.
I have a 2 litre glass flask that will (and has) keep water hot from Calais to Switzerland ! the trick is to add the milk and tea bag to the cup, for more normal use I have a Stanley 1quart stainless flask that I bought for windsurfing trips in the early 90's and with preheating will hold the drink hot for 8 hours even if you take a couple of cups out of it, again I tend to use hot water or black coffee in it as the narrow neck makes teabag extraction a real PITA

..... the "enforced" tea time a good thing.
One of the best tips for when you realise that you have gotten lost, when hiking... Brew up. Just the sit down and concentrating on something else (and re-hydrating), helps to make better decissions.
(In my case, we brew up so often, that we nevere seem to get far enough to get lost!)

I did some tests on flasks with friends. We took every flask we had and filled them with hot water, no pre-heating. Then measured them every few hours.
We were more interested in the characteristocs, rather than the brands.
The general results were, that the narrow neck flasks seemed to be slightly better than the wide mouth food flasks.
Glass vacuum was far superior to the insulated ones.
And the bulk of water had a big effect. Having a smaller thermal mass, tended to also have a much bigger surface area/vol, so cooled faster.

The tests were certainly not scientific, as we really couldn't find enough flasks to have comparissons where only one variable changed. So a lot of 'feel' in the conculsion.

Have a green(mostly green covered in scratches and scuffs) stanley. Bought it 6th May 1986 while on leave prior to deploying to NI.
Been around the world and still works well only ever had hot water in it.

Got a Stanley food flask which is very effective but the lining fell out of the mug almost immediately. Got a Thermos king as well. They certainly stay hot all day but I don't know about 24 hours and the stoppvxcz

Back