Flattened shoulders on bullet seating

Leica Amplus 6

ziggy

Hi guys, I was just setting up some new rcbs dies and had this happen when seating the bullet. Have you any idea what caused it or is it me being a numpty? The round on the left is the offending article with a resized case and one of my usual rounds on the right for comparison. Thanks for taking a peek. Doing this off my phone so apologies if the pic is dodgy etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 63

ziggy

thanks spud, I did wonder if it was going to be something painfully simple. normally end up having to set up each time I reload anyway but ive never had this happen so thought id better ask you more enlightened people

ziggy

its not touching fizz there is a minute gap but ill take it out and start again

Jagged77

Yes you've set seating die too far down - you've got to be careful when producing a roll crimp, it doesn't take much to squash the case down making chambering difficult or impossible (hard to tell with the naked eye also). You've gone to the extreme on this occasion. Also if you've annealed the brass check to make sure you've not over annealed and made the case dangerously soft.

fizzbangwhallop

Ziggy,
​Sounds as if it's too far down..... just read a set of instructions with one of my RCBS..
Without crimping: Place cartridge (without bullet) in ram and run to top of stroke. Screw die in til you feel it touch the case neck, back off a full turn and tighten lock ring. This leaves about a 16th of an inch gap tween the ram and the die base.
Then back off your seating stem and add a bullet and go from there.

Yeah..... I made the mistake the other week but stopped short of compressing a case neck. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Fizz

ziggy

ooooooooooooh hark at her, I was just about to phone you. you've ruined it for yourself now......no biscuits for you chunky. :finger:

bewsher500

surely if the case neck was being pushed back it would show a shorter case length than the one on the right?

I have pushed necks in before on a badly sized neck but they are always shorter

Territory Hunting