Fly zapper recommendations please.

liongeorge

Flies are really bad this year in our village. Had a zapper before and found many flies just ignored it so am not going to buy anything this time without a recommendation. This is for home use in the kitchen. Any help much appreciated.

shakey jake

Either buy cheap and chuck after a year or spend a couple of hundred on a proffesional one either zapper or sticky board, you need to know the size of the room in m2, bulbs only last a year of constant use and arent that effective in bright sunshine so try and site in the darkest corner you have, wave length of blue light is important and some bulbs fall short, they need to be 365nm according to my book. Feel free to drop me a pm if you want more info
Shakey

The Singing Stalker

Buy the executioner tennis racket thingie. Not as good but when you do wave it around and catch one there is a huge sense of satisfaction. Of course the other 99% of the time is frustration because you missed, again, and again and :D

Overlay

Flies are really bad this year in our village. Had a zapper before and found many flies just ignored it so am not going to buy anything this time without a recommendation. This is for home use in the kitchen. Any help much appreciated.

for the unit to be efficient calculate the area to monitored by the unit and buy one just above that, ensure you have the correct tubes for the species and allow for the natural illumination from windows and leave on 24/7 for the best effectiveness and change the tubes every year in April

good luck

phil

NoIDeer

We keep a few hens in our smallish garden. The red top fly trap is the best we have found. Not cheap and disgusting when full but keeps them away from the house.

Also google bag of water and coins to keep flys away, we are experimenting with this and seems to have an affect. Don't ask, I don't know.

Singing Stalkers offering above is the most satisfying.

kenbro

Buy the executioner tennis racket thingie. Not as good but when you do wave it around and catch one there is a huge sense of satisfaction. Of course the other 99% of the time is frustration because you missed, again, and again and :D

Grandkids take ours into the garden after dark, amazing how many sparks just from swinging it randomly.
Ken.

Eric the Red

My wife's just bought something which has worked very well off Amazon (will try and find details). The other thing to consider is a red-top fly trap outside. I cannot believe how many ours have caught. Not for inside though - can be a bit smelly.
The unit is an Xterminate 30W fly zapper - £45. I'm sure there are better - but this has worked very well so far.

Last edited:

jimmy milnes

for the unit to be efficient calculate the area to monitored by the unit and buy one just above that, ensure you have the correct tubes for the species and allow for the natural illumination from windows and leave on 24/7 for the best effectiveness and change the tubes every year in April

good luck

phil

As above
Placement is a big factor where people get it wrong

Lampwick

Nothing hygienic about those! Particles of flies are sent flying from them upon contact!

Sticky pad EFKs are the way forward!

Freeforester

I see where you are coming from and don't disagree with your sentiment, but it was a "zapper" the original post enquired about, I don't know of a zapper that also sticks, though I am aware of those which attract fleas, flies etc to a sticky pad. As a general rule (sometimes referred to as 'common sense', though admittedly, it may be not so common these days :norty:), any zapper should be sited some distance away from food prep areas; you may recall an outbreak of sickness around customers of a Lanarkshire butcher shop a few years back, where the source of the problem was traced to being the proximity of the fly zapper to a prep table. I am unaware whether the sticky fly traps were available then, for sure EHO would not advise use of zappers to combat flies were they deemed to be generally unsuitable for the job, but they may have something to offer re the possibly more recent development of lighted sticky traps.

Sticky fly trap with UV lamp - YouTube

okay it's not here in the uk (other designs are, I know) but the principle is sound enough, though would require very regular replacement of the sticky paper/s.

Last edited:

dunwater

Have you seen the bugasalt? It's an air powered gun that shoots a load of table salt, lethal to 3meters ( that's 10 feet after brexit) available on eBay.

Woodsmoke

The red top fly trap is the best we have found. Not cheap and disgusting when full but keeps them away from the house

I can vouch for this too. The original RT is superb, and at around a tenner per trap won't break the bank. It has a pheromone bait that actually attracts flies away from the area you want to protect. We usually have a couple placed around the garden and notice a massive reduction in the number of flies entering the house. You can buy copies at half the price (they use a protein-based bait, I think?) but they're nowhere near as effective