Foam for Cheek Riser

scrumbag

Hi folks,

I have been using this sort of thing:

1628834113832.png

with some Neoprene foam under it as a cheek riser. I can get the height and fit I want but the foam keeps slipping under the cuff. Any ideas on how to keep it in place?

Or does anyone know of a cuff with a pocket that also has a cheek riser?

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

Rory

I have not tried this ( yet as I have gone for a Kydex riser that affixes with velcro) but think this would work.
Get your rollmat/sponge/neoprene or whatever to the height you want. Get a thin piece of plastic cardand epoxy the riser material to it, srrap it down to conform to the shape and allow it to dry. Cut to shape and you should now have a shaped piece you can drop in place without worrying about it shifting under the strap on cheek riser.
You can probably glue felt to the plastic card to prevent scrtaches to the stock below it.

Home Loader

Plus 1 for vet wrap.
Rather than neoprene try some rollmat it tends to stay in its shape once it's been compressed down for a little while.

Beartooth Combe risers are very good and don’t budge at all. I have gone a step further and I have a kydex riser with foam under it. The foam is only there really to ensure the perfect height for the kydex allowing easy fitting in the dark etc. Then the beartooth “wrap” over top of that.

Creates a soft to touch, but rock solid riser. Added bonus is it’s quick to remove as well.

Mungo

Plus 1 for vet wrap.
Rather than neoprene try some rollmat it tends to stay in its shape once it's been compressed down for a little while.
Exactly this.

I have to say that vet wrap is a miracle substance. I use it on my moderators, and on a very shiny stainless barrel.

And have used it several times when I’ve sliced myself open!

NickJ

On my black lace up cheek raiser (I forget the brand) I have camping roll mat and gaffer tape, replace the mat every couple of years as it squashes down.

Out of interest can you fit a spare mag in that Hornandy one as I'd like one of them for the hill hinds?

I have a Tourbon with a fixed insert and it's too high for either of my Sako 85s with standard synthetic and MacMillan hunter stocks even though I have a scope on one of them.

Kalahari

On my black lace up cheek raiser (I forget the brand) I have camping roll mat and gaffer tape, replace the mat every couple of years as it squashes down.

Out of interest can you fit a spare mag in that Hornandy one as I'd like one of them for the hill hinds?

I have a Tourbon with a fixed insert and it's too high for either of my Sako 85s with standard synthetic and MacMillan hunter stocks even though I have a scope on one of them.
Sorry just saw that bit out of context and it made me laugh.

David.

Jelen

Hi folks,

I have been using this sort of thing:

View attachment 217102

with some Neoprene foam under it as a cheek riser. I can get the height and fit I want but the foam keeps slipping under the cuff. Any ideas on how to keep it in place?

Or does anyone know of a cuff with a pocket that also has a cheek riser?

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy
I use the spongy tape in the image below. Cut off 5" strips. You only need the underside to stick so do not remove the plastic film. Stack them on top of the comb adding a strip at a time 'till you get the correct cheek weld. Then fit whatever cover you want to use. Mine is a Bisley removable neoprene sleeve. It does not mark the rifle stock when you pull it off, or it didn't mark the soft rubber coating on my Mauser M12.

Attachments

• IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 13

scrumbag

Hi Nick,

I don't have that precise one, it's the same sorta thing.

I would say you would get a small magazine in mine, maybe a ~3 shot flush fit, my 5 rd AICS .30-06 size is very snug.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

NullMac

Never found anything that really works. There is always a bit of compression or slippage or something. If it gets wet it all needs to come off anyway as I am not putting something wet in the cabinet, so I end up having to rebuilt it.

No real substitute for a proper adjustable comb.

NickJ

Never found anything that really works. There is always a bit of compression or slippage or something. If it gets wet it all needs to come off anyway as I am not putting something wet in the cabinet, so I end up having to rebuilt it.

No real substitute for a proper adjustable comb.
As I've just said on another post, having seen both in action adjustable combs are OK if you aren't doing much crawling. No good for the hill unless you are going to take it out of a slip at the last moment. They are like a magnet for heather and the like.

I agree on removing fabric ones when wet, I'm looking to replace my lace-up one with velcro for ease of removal/refitting.