Food dehydrator for biltong/jerky?

karlbird

Looking on that well known auction site, I have seen some food dehydrators for under £30, new. They seem mainly for fruit and veg, but say they make biltong - has anyone tried them? Just think it will be cheaper than running the oven for hours and also I don't have the time/skill/inclination to make a biltong box.

Ray7756

If it dehydrates fruit it will work on meat, i bought one under £30 and it works just fine
Ray

griffshrek

I've got a £30 dehydrator one of the 5 tier types , as I type I've got all 5 tiers full of spicy biltong drying.

All I do is rotate the tiers about to get even dehydration.

Good luck ....it is easy and very tasty

Eric the Red

Looking on that well known auction site, I have seen some food dehydrators for under £30, new. They seem mainly for fruit and veg, but say they make biltong - has anyone tried them? Just think it will be cheaper than running the oven for hours and also I don't have the time/skill/inclination to make a biltong box.
Are you referring to the Andrew James version - works well IMO. Done a few batches.

karlbird

That's the one, seen several that look identical and come as different brands. If it has a years warranty I don't see an issue, as long as they do the job?