Footwear

lambic

Today's basic question is:

Why do people appear to wear Wellington style boots when they go out stalking?

I have done my fair share of walking and the there is no way on earth I would ever dream of doing a serious walk in anything resembling a Wellington. A bit of gardening maybe.

I've used Meindl walking boots for last ten years and they are fantastic. Cannot see why anyone would buy wellingtons like Le chameau. Surely decent walking boots and gaiters are better if you are any where other than a nice manicured park?

But I am a novice... What do full guides wear?

Cheers

jcampbellsmith

Today's basic question is:

Why do people appear to wear Wellington style boots when they go out stalking?

I have done my fair share of walking and the there is no way on earth I would ever dream of doing a serious walk in anything resembling a Wellington. A bit of gardening maybe.

I've used Meindl walking boots for last ten years and they are fantastic. Cannot see why anyone would buy wellingtons like Le chameau. Surely decent walking boots and gaiters are better if you are any where other than a nice manicured park?

But I am a novice... What do full guides wear?

Cheers
I own both and wear what's best for the conditions. Regards JCS

boar & deer

Me and most of the stalkers i know where le chameau/aigle wellingtons ive never had any problems with dis Comfort. But it is always wet down here

lambic

If you were limited to one or the other, which would you buy?

Obviously I am just trying to justify not buying Wellingtons

SDM

All depends on the ground you are stalking try Wellys over clear fell not saying you can't but not much protection on the ankles if you go over cheers TM 270

lambic

Going to have a look at some of these mac-gaiters or huntech gaiters. Old football injury means I need decent ankle support. Save myself a few pennies as well

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
"""I have done my fair share of walking and the there is no way on earth I would ever dream of doing a serious walk in anything resembling a Wellington. A bit of gardening maybe"""
Oh well, why are you asking?
Wellies have their place and for many months of the year nothing else comes near and when it comes to comfort there are some makes way more comfortable than the strap on Meindls etc...

Mauser243

Got a couple of decent pairs of boots, but got to say I go for my wellington more times than most, you can get some pretty decent supporting wellies these days.

M

Cadex

I have both but seldom wear the wellies now other than for dog walking.
I've found my Hanwags worn in tandem with a pair of Macgaiters give a huge amount of support and comfort, and all the waterproofing I need.

norma 308

Just got some hunter balmorals which seem a lot more rigid tham the le chems but I wouldn't use them for hill stalking as my ankles are pretty useless altberg or meindels for me

Bilge Rat

Just got some hunter balmorals which seem a lot more rigid tham the le chems but I wouldn't use them for hill stalking as my ankles are pretty useless altberg or meindels for me
Got some Balmoral's here too and love them. Didn't really want to pay that much for wellies but was fed up with rubber ones being punctured all the time by blackthorn/hawthorn. Warm, comfy and durable, with way more support than any other I tried, just need to be disciplined about cleaning and proofing them regularly now :)

Nick

Each have a place would never wear Wellies on the hill but they are perfect for walking along woodland rides etc
But if you do buy Wellies buy a decent pair cheap Wellies are usually just that,poor grip uncomfortable etc you can walk a long way in comfort in some of the better Wellies I'm not going to mention any particular make
as all the better makes have their devotees.

For the hill I have never been a fan of the long legged boot preferring a short four seasons boot with a rigid sole that can take a pair of crampons if the weather is really bad coupled with a pair of gaiters.

Jagare

Its a strange thing but i wear wellies when working the spaniels and walk miles in them. For stalking, hunting i will allways wear my Lundhags. I did buy a pair of Muck boots Artic tey sport for sitting out for boar when its cold. So its -10 and I'm sitting out to night and will see if they work

lambic

I previously used wellies designed by George Michael but gave up on them as they got sucked off in a bog!
Made me laugh that.

Just going to stick with the meindl walking boots, seal skinz knee socks and some deer hunter ram gaiters I just ordered for cheap on ebay.

Should do the job plus I have certainty that boots won't rub.