Ford Ranger Winch Frame

Ferryman

This is a long shot but I thought it worth a try.

Does anyone have or know where I can obtain a set of plans to construct a winch frame to fit the back of my 05 Ford ranger.

I am after the same design as the Forestry Commission vehicles use.

I am quite happy to purchase said plans if anyone has them.

Thanks

Tony

Not the best picture to show the winch frame I had a friend make up, but this picture taken yesterday gives an idea of design, if you wanted I could photograph it from a better angle. It can be removed with its 4 bolts, when the canopy is needed.

Attachments

Tim.243

Is the main frame 50mm X 50mm box tube ?
For the work involved then what ever size box you use make sure you ask for 4-5 mm wall as you only want to build it once.

As a fabricator it does not look a hard job, just most people make it into a black art. Up the wall thickness of the box, prep the joints well and burn it in well. When people skimp on the material and weld into wide gaps is when things don't last!!

Tim.243

joe soapy

Be carefull building anything tooo strong to attach to the butt, look underneath and its only held to the chassis by six 6mm bolts and bent tin

Ferryman

Thanks @TheOldGamey did your fabricator weld tubes into the 50 X 50 for the mounting bolts or did he just drill through ?

Tim.243

Be carefull building anything tooo strong to attach to the butt, look underneath and its only held to the chassis by six 6mm bolts and bent tin
If you fix it with the same size bolt it will matter not how strong the frame is...............

Tim.243

Ferryman

Well I finally tracked down the company that made the winch mounts for the FC and they offered to make me one but at over £1200 inc VAT I think I will pass and go with getting my own made.

Tim.243

Well I finally tracked down the company that made the winch mounts for the FC and they offered to make me one but at over £1200 inc VAT I think I will pass and go with getting my own made.
A 7.5mtr stick of 50-50-4mm box will be no more than £50.00.........that leaves you enough to make one for all of us on SD!!

Tim.243

Ferryman

Dog crate done

IMG_0418.JPG Not the winch mount, but here is the dog crate installed where the rear seats used to be.
I can slide a rifle slip underneath and have installed 2 heavy duty stainless steel eye bolts in what were the rear seat mounting bolt holes, so I can secure the rifle using plastic covered steel cable.

deerstalker.308

I had one fabricated by an FC mechanic who's handy with metal work, he knew the principal of them having worked on numerous rangers trucks over the years, I think I paid total around £100-£120 parts and labour and it's as tough as old boots, handles 200kg stags no bother, I'll happily send you some photos (albeit mine is in a hilux but it's a simple job.

2130martin

If all you are doing is loading stags as in winching themup a ramp,you cam simply bolt the winch to your headboard,that is more than strong enough.
Get bolted in place and test it gradually increasing the load,its really not much strain dragging a Stag,probably no mire than a load secured with a 70mph+ wind hitting it.
Mine is fitted like that and hasnt been a problem.