Forest of Dean Boar.

basil

Distinguished Member
Looking for a bit of a heads up if possible please.
On my photography wish list is Wild Boar and presumably the Forest of Dean would provide the better opportunities.
Would anyone care to divulge where I`m more likely to see and photograph the Boar please?
I know there are no guarantees of seeing any Boar but any help would be very much appreciated.

Dickie

I was out with Elmer Fudd from here a couple of weeks ago but only saw the boar well after dark, he might be able to give you a heads up.

basil

Distinguished Member
I was out with Elmer Fudd from here a couple of weeks ago but only saw the boar well after dark, he might be able to give you a heads up.
Thanks Dickie. I know they have been seen in daylight but it`s very hit and miss.
I might take the camper up there and chance my arm over the bank holiday weekend.

nun_hunter

I just asked a friend of mine who went up last year and spent all day walking about and got a few pictures of boar rooting through the bluebells. He said he started at the Speech House Hotel. He said it was a bit hit or miss as to whether or not you'd see them soon or after a bit of a trek, he did about 10miles on foot.

Alantoo

Erik Burger of the NCDMG and I recently met with one David Slater who is a naturalist and professional photographer and has founded Friends of the Boar. He is quite keen to meet stalkers and to explain his view as to why the FC are managing the boar using bad science...

It may be worth contacting him...after the discussion he took us on a walk as it started getting dark and apart from a dozen piglets and a couple of adults we also saw a few fallow...though largely thanks to Eriks's thermal spotter.

From Erik's email...."I recently had a chat with David Slater who runs ' Friends of the Boar'.
David is a professional photographer with a keen interest in wildlife."

Alan

Nelson62

I've seen them at the Canop cycle centre, just as it was getting light on the Verderers trail. That was in February.

scoie

another sighting around the cycle centre with me , mum and little un , didn't bat an eye lid as he family cycled past , we actually stopped and watched them from no more than 20 yards . 50 yards before that a fallow cleared the fence
rgds
craig

re'M'ington

My Mothers Social Worker showed me a photo on her phone of a very good Boar200lbs+ wandering up Lydney High St. John,and I bet there's some benches nearby to sit and wait on.

Martin

basil

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone for your help.
I managed to find some. I tried to get in closer but couldn`t.
We had to cut the weekend short as my Mrs isn`t well but I`m chuffed with the results. I`ll be going back later in the year where I`ll bait an area up.

lee.270

awesome pic, we had a lot of them down in sussex but between two asshXles who shot them all year round in my area, they've nearly all but disappeared.

nun_hunter

awesome pic, we had a lot of them down in sussex but between two asshXles who shot them all year round in my area, they've nearly all but disappeared.
From a selfish hunting point of view I'd like to see them make it to Ashdown Forest as at least they have a large safe area to establish and then filter out as there are too many small permissions where they just get anhilated now.

basil

Distinguished Member
I`ve just read the topic in Wild Boar about baiting areas now becoming illegal.
There goes that idea for my photography purposes then!

liongeorge

I`ve just read the topic in Wild Boar about baiting areas now becoming illegal.
There goes that idea for my photography purposes then!
Don't worry Basil it's not, see my update on that post.I was just trying to get my ducks in a row due to a rediculous situation with my feeding station.

basil

Distinguished Member
Don't worry Basil it's not, see my update on that post.I was just trying to get my ducks in a row due to a rediculous situation with my feeding station.
I`ve just this minute read your post. Can I ask if you only use Maize and nothing else like Pig nuts please?

liongeorge

Pig nuts are good but do not weather and turn into mush if put in a hole or get wet. Peas were rejected entirely by boars but sows and little uns loved them. Apples are good and last a good long while while they are in season. To be honest maize is by far the best in my experience I've tried pretty much anything I can get my hands on and still come back to maize. I put a bit of mollasses in with the maize to make it extra tempting and a bit of scent wafting around.

mereside

maize and also walnuts whole in shells then use molasses and aniseed dripped onto tree where they can rub they love this,atb wayne