Forum Stalking Ground?

paul k

You can count me in too, I can't do enough to justify my own ground and this would be great.

300wsm

sikamalc said:
It is great to see so many members interested in this proposal. It is something that if we achieved it, we could all be justly proud of and would help a great many novices and people who have no ground of their own.

IF this did come about, and it is an if, I would expect it to be open to all members of the Stalking Directory, with or without Level 1, depending on their experience. However as PeteE mentioned this may not be possible through insurance purposes, or the conditions of the lease.

This is all a bit of a way off at the moment, but we will keep this on the boil and hopefully something may turn up in the way of a reasonable lease. I have a contact in Till Hill and I will Email him next week and see what might be around in the future.

For the insurance side of things you may be able to not have any formal quals but have to do a shotting test which is no bad thing regarless of quals or experiance.

243varmint

Trapper said:
Why not ,I would be happy to contribute,
Perhaps with all the knowledge available here, we as a Group would be in a position to offer our own DSI 1 /2 , rather than the BDS/BASC and Colleges getting all the grabs!!Plough the money back into the Group, and really make a mark!.
(Don't throw that bottle ) well it would mean we can be a force to be reckoned with, Just a thought !!!.
Trapper(Pete e ) well done that man! :) :)
I think this would be a great idea trapper.
wouldn't your own insurance be enough cover( not that i am an insurance expert)
shooting test sounds a good idea as well
count me in( don't tell 'er indoors bandit country) ;)
Jonathon

AJWH

count me in!

i havnt got any ground of my own and am finding it hard to get any stalking in general so would love the oppertunity to get some experience.
Alex

Amberdog

Count me in too this is what stalking is all about,bds in my experiance not very good at getting grass root stalkers going unless you have deep pockets
amberdog

Trapper

Think that pete e
original ideas hits the spot !how who !moves it forward now into reality! I am keen but now expertise in the world of wheeling and dealing!
Swampys idea of a steering group is sound , but who do we choose as a group!
Regards Trapper

Pete E

Re: Deer

devilishdave said:
Sounds like a fantastic idea, what locations are being looked at?
Dave

If you look back at the beginning, this thread was to gauge peoples interest and to see what sort of numbers would likely respond and also to gauge what sort of £££ we could raise to get the project off the ground..

At the stage the Site admin were busy with the site hand over and understandably wanted to get that out if the way first and let things settle.

Hopefully the idea won't fade away, but we will have to wait for the Admin to decide if and when this can be moved forward..

As is obvious, getting a suitable bit of ground, in the right location, will be the major stumbling block...So right now I would suggest people keep a look out and if they hear of something, they should PM the details to the Admin team..

With stalking being so difficult to obtain, I would recommend not posting any details on here until the ground is secured..

Regards,

Pete

stone

griff said:
There is a large estate close by, we have in the past considered approaching them with an offer for the stalking, but was unsure if we could fill enough days to pay the rent! they have red,roe and goat..
It is to late in the season now but we could make enquiries for next year,that would give time for all things relevant to be in place..

There is also a cottage that would be available.
The big question is would people be prepared to travel those sort of distances and how many?
We do have an inroad to these people as we have dealt with them for the last 10 years so there is a possibilty!
I will make tentative enquiries..

regards
griff
hi griff
did you and malc make any inroads on this ,as this seems a great chance for the SD lads to get a cracking oppurtunity aswell as the chance of goats too
i have enough stalking of my own which we all know is hard to come by so like i said what a great oppurtunity for the members with out

Robin

forum stalking ground

I am more than happy to give £100.
I dont think mandatory qualification is the way to go, surely it would be better if an experienced stalker took out a novice each time as that is what i thought we were all about?
Of course range targets would have to be included just for peace of mind for eveyone.
I assume my BASC insurance would cover me I will have to check.
After all we are trying to make it easier for people who haven't any ground and novices alike.
If there is any other way I can help just let me know.

jingzy

ground

I dont know what ground people are looking at but I think anything should be considered, North of Sctland to the Channel. This site has many people from all over the uk and if a pilot piece of ground can be set up to see the response of members, then others may follow.

blackie

Jingzy,

that sounds like a good idea. I'm sure people would be willing to travel and as you say there are a lot of members from all over the uk.

blackie

User00004

Might have dabbles on ground just SOUTH of Inverness, waiting fo the specifics etc, would this be of interest? Is it too far North for people to travel?

I know there a 4 block involved, I am thinking of one for myself but if there are more available and the interest is with this site I will get more info.

Cheers

TJ

techman

Forum Stalking ground

TJ,
I am happy with that. It's a long way but as I said to you at the Game Fair, we have friends in Inverness and a combined Stalking and fishing trip would be great.

jingzy

TJ,

I would be interested in an area around Inverness.

If the site isn't interested, I will be TJ.

J

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I phoned a man today who owns a small estate up here near to me, it is about 1000 acres. I explained all about the the DSC qualifications and the difficulty people were experiencing with financing their three stalks. I explained how the site would be interested in renting out the shooting in order to have to have somewhere for candidates and their AW's to go without having to take out a second mortgage. Also it would be somewhere that novices could be taken in order to get a start in the sport.

The bad news is that although sympathetic, he has a friend that looks after the deer for him. This looking after is not always as well done as it could be, owing to work commitments, but the fact remains he cannot offer us the shooting rights.

The good news is that he did ask if I would be interested from about mid September in helping out with shooting the deer, which are a nuisance around the house. These are Sika we are talking about, obviously stags at that time of year. He also intimated that he would possibly be up for me taking a novice with me, to give them a start / more experience. I should know more in the next couple of weeks.

Now remember this is deep Sutherland, 50 miles North of Inverness so not many folk would be travelling South to get to it!

I tried, and although not a complete failure, not the result we want. I have another man to speak to next week, he owns a forestry block of a couple of hundred acres, which resides in a much larger forest. This one will hold both Roe and Sika, there might be the odd red in there but it is probably lost!.

I'll keep you posted.

John

Little Terry

Good luck with this project. It would provide opportunities for a lot of people if managed properly and is a lovely idea.

However.......and I am not normally a sceptical sort of bloke............the forum has not existed without it's fair share of squabbling and bitching over some very insignificant subjects in the past. This is perhaps only natural, considering the number of people using the site and the fact that is can be accessed by anyone, anytime. But is it not going to be too much to ask for everyone to get along nicely when there is real, live stalking at stake?

Perhaps I don't understand the technicalities of running a 'club ground', but i remain firmly 'on the fence' on this one.

I've seen too many 'club' pheasant shoots break up because "he shot more than me..." or "he always gets the good dates" or "why is he always in the hotseat" or "a few of us are doing all the work for everyone elses benefit" etc, etc.

As an opportunity for novices to get experience, perhaps we could have a thread where experienced stalkers can offer 'tuition stalks". A bit like swap-a-stalk, but more like have-a-first-stalk?????

Just my twopenneth. Feel free to put me right if i've missed the point.

Terry.

mole trapper

THINKTHIS IS A GREAT IDEA FOR THE NOVICES TO GET A BIT OF EXPERIENCE, I WOULD HAPPILY DIVVY UP A TON, WOULD BE UNLIKELY TO EVER HAVE A GO ON SAID GROUND MYSELF BUT THAT IS A SMALL MATTER, RECKON BARONS DOWN WOULD BE A GOOD SPOT TO PUT IN A QUOTE AT THE MOMENT. :evil:
oops sorry did not realise i was shouting. :oops: