Fostering process...copy of FAC docs.

Some social worker's have a better understanding as you have pointed out .in S E London some did not understand how country life is different to city life one or two spoke to me about my shooting game and had some interest. I always said they could come along and see why we have to protect crop's and we don't kill for the fun of killing and have respect when we do. Spoke with the head of services and they agreed every thing was Fine as other's have stated. They wanted to know about pet's biting and car and house insurance plus all safety checks completed and fire escapes and procedure. Evan had to check out the tortoise in case it bit a child but these kids have been through hell. Please foster a child

Whenever I’ve copied my certificates they come out with FRAUD as a sort of water mark running through it. Clever really.

You could also redact your address from the copy (just cover it over)......after all they know where you live.

Well done for offering to foster, good luck.

Can I just say a massive thank you to all of you who have commented, offering your support, advice and encouragement. I am genuinely overwhelmed by your kind words and pm's. Theres now too many to thank individually but I am truly grateful to you all.

So I got back today and the visit had happened. The subject came up so my wife explained my concerns and she agreed to just take the number and issuing force. Fine.

My wife went on to explain the very thorough process we have to go through relating to a grant including police checks and alerts on medical records etc (in order to reassure her) Apparently the fostering rep then retorted 'Yes, but a lot of murderers have firearms certificates...like that guy in Hungerford'! My wife very calmly and bluntly stated that that was 30odd years ago and things are very different now. Its lucky I wasn't here really tbh. I cant believe she said that!

Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm not impressed with her attitude and am considering lodging a complaint.

Can I just say a massive thank you to all of you who have commented, offering your support, advice and encouragement. I am genuinely overwhelmed by your kind words and pm's. Theres now too many to thank individually but I am truly grateful to you all.

So I got back today and the visit had happened. The subject came up so my wife explained my concerns and she agreed to just take the number and issuing force. Fine.

My wife went on to explain the very thorough process we have to go through relating to a grant including police checks and alerts on medical records etc (in order to reassure her) Apparently the fostering rep then retorted 'Yes, but a lot of murderers have firearms certificates...like that guy in Hungerford'! My wife very calmly and bluntly stated that that was 30odd years ago and things are very different now. Its lucky I wasn't here really tbh. I cant believe she said that!

Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm not impressed with her attitude and am considering lodging a complaint.
Lots of murderers drive cars too...

FairPlay to anyone who can offer fostering. I’m full of admiration. Personally I’d be complaining tomorrow, attitude and behaviour like that should not be tolerated.

Apparently the fostering rep then retorted 'Yes, but a lot of murderers have firearms certificates...like that guy in Hungerford'! My wife very calmly and bluntly stated that that was 30odd years ago and things are very different now. Its lucky I wasn't here really tbh. I cant believe she said that!

Not worth lodging a complaint, as she was factually correct in what she said. I assume she wasn't actually drawing a comparison between Michael Ryan and you. If they had any doubts about your behaviour, you wouldn't have got this far in the process.

That scrote had on his SGC/FAC:

You can only educate people one at a time. Your Mrs is a very wise lady who said just the right thing at the right time.

Please do not challenge it will go against you it is not meant to but we all know it does go on. Sorry you meet a negative social worker in fostering I was told listen to the s/w for what they have to say and when they walk out the front door and think to yourself what a load of S... . Yes they do get thing's wrong at times but you have to work with them for the sake of a child if you want to keep your placement. It is not easy had many meetings about s/w towards carers with head of services nothing ever changed. We had what we called the famous five s/w all use less and so many complaints and carer's left over them. So be careful and log it down what she said to you over FAC in her words same as when a placement informs you of something if they swear use there WORDS.

I would do it again but now left as empty rooms filled for good

Last edited:
One wonders how such an uniformed person has sway over the future lives and happiness of such needy children?

Had this happen to me and my wife 15 years ago.As soon as I mentioned guns they closed the door on me.Ignorant morons.

Triton have you fostered any child are you aware of there lives . I know i have turned some lives around and made a difference some went to university and one as her own farm and as three beautiful and polite children. They have all learnt that you can do better in live my own childhood had drink and abuse . So i changed it for other's

Triton have you fostered any child are you aware of there lives . I know i have turned some lives around and made a difference some went to university and one as her own farm and as three beautiful and polite children. They have all learnt that you can do better in live my own childhood had drink and abuse . So i changed it for other's
I haven't directly but have nothing but admiration for those who do - I have been involved with Social Services reviews and hopefully made a bit of a difference in that way, albeit indirectly.

Triton thank you for sitting on a reviews. As my time as chairman for foster carers for the biggest borough in London some of the supervising social worker can be negative towards carers if they do not agree . Most are so helpful and work with carers . Every child does matter and some of the children who are troubled may cause problems with one carer but the next carer may work.

An old thread I know but thought I'd update in case in helps others in a similar position.

I took no further action regarding the points in my original post. I politely explained my security concerns to the lady concerned and she was happy just to lay eyes on the documents. She was them able to tick the box I guess.

We went to 'panel' a few weeks ago which was a little nervy but after an hour we were unanimously approved by the panel of 8. Very happy. Interestingly, there was not a single mention of firearms/shotgun ownership...I'm assuming because the information presented to them pre-meeting was entirely satisfactory.

Thank you very much to all that have supported and offered kind advice 😀

Hi all. Just a quick question, preferably for those genuinely in the know and/or those who have been through similar circumstances.

Me and my family are towards the end of the process to apply as foster carers. We're about a month away from panel. It's a long process and they are very thorough (understandably) in their questioning.

Anyway, the rep from the fostering agency has asked me for a copy (as in photocopy) of my FAC. This has me concerned as I'm guessing the police aren't too keen on copies of FACs being made.

Can anyone please advise on whether her request is reasonable and I should comply. My feeling, for what it's worth, is that the agency should take up the matter directly with my local firearms dept if they want to ask questions or seek confirmation of my suitability.

Any constructive comments would be most welcome, thank you.
We foster do not give them a copy of your cert,you can show them the first page to prove you have one,they can write down the expiry date to check next time.our social worker phoned the firearms department and demanded to know what firearms i have and was told she had no right to know,no outside agency has the right to know,be careful

An old thread I know but thought I'd update in case in helps others in a similar position.

I took no further action regarding the points in my original post. I politely explained my security concerns to the lady concerned and she was happy just to lay eyes on the documents. She was them able to tick the box I guess.

We went to 'panel' a few weeks ago which was a little nervy but after an hour we were unanimously approved by the panel of 8. Very happy. Interestingly, there was not a single mention of firearms/shotgun ownership...I'm assuming because the information presented to them pre-meeting was entirely satisfactory.

Thank you very much to all that have supported and offered kind advice 😀

I'm very pleased this has turned out well for you and hope you enjoy the roller-coaster journey that is fostering, as much as we do. :thumb:

Great now go and enjoy fostering it is hard but by god it is rewarding. Yes you will make a difference to a child's life but they will push your button's at times. Every child does matter and it will take time.

Good luck

Back