Found myself a pure bred dingo.

dodgyknees

What's a wombat taste like? ....................Chicken?

There's a whole book dedicated to what wombats taste like:

I know every line off by heart.

I also know what wombat tastes like... not at all like chicken of course... more like rank fatty donkey. Horrible. Me and the wife walked to Melaleuca in Tassie several years ago with the Parks people and sampled wombat as part of the "bush meat experience" we decided would be a good idea, along with Bennett's Wallaby and a pademelon, neither of which were any better. Gave me a new appreciation for what indigenous and settler folk had to deal with when it came to procuring protein.

mchughcb

Most meat if prepared wrongly can be bad. Good backstrap of macropod is very similar to venison. Just don't over cook it.

dodgyknees

Most meat if prepared wrongly can be bad. Good backstrap of macropod is very similar to venison. Just don't over cook it.

Yes, unfortunately when you’re hiking 15km+ a day in the SW there isn’t much room for a decent kitchen. Slices of meat on a wet stick is about as good as it gets. Still though, I’d challenge anyone to make a decent fist of wombat even with the best kitchen and all the time in the world. Extremely fatty and rank tasting.

Wallaby is ok as long as you can age it properly, like as you say roo backstraps are good as long as they are well prepared. But very fresh, grilled on a stick, the Bennett’s Wallaby had a very distinct aroma that was properly off putting. Of all the animals I’ve culled and processed for dog tucker, the Bennett’s Wallaby is perhaps the smelliest when gutting it out. We have them here - proper pest.

Have eaten plenty of roo, in fact when I stayed in Subiaco overnight for work, I’d always have roo steaks at the Vic pub in Hay St, without fail. Excellent.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a trail cam with anything like the diversity of animals you’ve got there.

mchughcb

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a trail cam with anything like the diversity of animals you’ve got there.

Yes very close to Melbourne. No fallow deer, bandicoots, echidnas or lyrebirds this time. But proves you don't have to live in the middle of nowhere to see a lot of game. Only yesterday I was hunting with a guy and just down the river he called up and saw a wild platypus.