Fox calibre or light load on 6.5x55

Primer

Guys just after some advice.

I've just managed to secure a bit of land that will need some fox and vermin control along with deer, now do I look for a dedicated fox rifle such as a 22-250, .223, .243 or shall I just develop a lighter load for my 6.5x55 as the Vihtavuori manual shows an 85gn bullet load? Not looked yet at what light loads you can get for the swede.

I already have a .22rf for rabbit, rat etc.

srvet

Any load from a 6.5x55 will kill fox. Personally I would look for a dual purpose load, perhaps a 120g BT or 140g Amax or similar. If you want a dedicated fox rifle then go that way

Primer

Any load from a 6.5x55 will kill fox. Personally I would look for a dual purpose load, perhaps a 120g BT or 140g Amax or similar. If you want a dedicated fox rifle then go that way
I'm happy to just use the one rifle for now and if circumstances change in the future then I can look at something else.

rick6point5

Had lunch with a chap who uses 80g in his with great effect by all accounts, me i just use my normal load for the calibre I have at the time, I can see the point of having a dedicated item but I don't have the time to be prey specific these days.

srvet

I'm happy to just use the one rifle for now and if circumstances change in the future then I can look at something else.
Have a look at the YouTube videos from 260rips , I am pretty sure he uses 140 Amax for fox as does THLR for roe. There are some very emphatic kills from a 260 rem which is ballistically similar to the 6.5x55. Obviously you can have a lighter load for fox but I'm not convinced the fox will care

Heym SR20

Just use a normal Softpoint bullet that you use on deer. I shoot quite a few foxes with 100gn RWS in 243, and also 139gn 7mm soft points. Foxes don't get up after being hit by either.

Border

I used Sierra Varmint 100 grain HP in 6.5 Swede to good effect on fox/corvids before going down the 22/17 centrefire route.

Greener Jim

I agree with Heym SR20. Anything will do. Frangible is better for fox but it's not like a soft point won't work.

It'd be a shame not to exploit the high BC .264 bullets mind so if it were me, I'd go 140gr Amax If the rifle was mainly for fox. Otherwise it'll be a pain re-zeroing or swapping scopes and the like.

If you want her for deer aswell, use whatever you feel comfortable with for deer :)

jimsim

120 grain nosler bt will do just fine I shoot fox muntie, roe , and fallow , I push it with N160 around 2900 fps , or try sierra 120 grain soft point both will work well regards jim

The deer man

I use a 120gr Pro Hunter in my 6.5x55 and can assure you it will kill a fox wherever you hit it.
Sierra also do an 85gr and 100gr Hollow Point Varminter.
Sierra are accurate.

North Cornwall Deer

+1 for the 120 BT's will do the job nicely,
I use them on everything from long range bunnies, to red stags.
Best to stick to one load and get confident with it.

woodmaster

As said I would just use my normal deer round. However if you are intending to go out with the lamp and be looking specifically for Mr Fox and no reason to have deer on the menu then 90grain V-max do the job nicely. They buck the wind well and flatten foxes.
They are noticeably different to any deer rounds you may have so no mix up's will take place.

stevenedwards

I also use a 6.5x55 for fox and deer. I prefer to keep things as simple as i can, 'cause I need to ! one round avoids the need to re zero or having the wrong round in the chamber and you get used to its characteristics. I use 120g BT but what ever you are happy with should be OK for fox's. I have found Norma 120BT really effective on fox.

Canadian1

Just use a normal Softpoint bullet that you use on deer. I shoot quite a few foxes with 100gn RWS in 243, and also 139gn 7mm soft points. Foxes don't get up after being hit by either.
Agreed.

The only hunting rifle I own smaller than my 6.5mm is my .22 Long. A dedicated fox gun is not necessary unless you want an excuse for another rifle, which is totally okay. :D

Southern

I don't know your situation in terms of how many rifles you can own, or want to own, what your 6.5x55 is, or your comfort with loading ammunition. There is a lot of fun to be had in loading some light 100-gr bullets and getting more hunting time with your primary deer rifle. But is is also nice to have rifle just like it, say in .223, or a scaled down rifle like a CZ or Anschutz in .22 Hornet, just for foxes and such.