Fox call

sako85708

I've had a Best fox caller ss for a few months now and after many hours of practice, I still sound like a ****ed off Swan !! Does anyone have any experience of this call and is it worth persevering with it !!! Thanks

I tried a Tenterfield type of call/whistle for ages, and to be honest I'd have been happy if I could even make it sound like a ****ed off swan ! As it was I binned it and admitted defeat. Bought one of these instead ... Fox Call Hunting Mouth Whistle Lamping Predator Distress Caller Shooting Rabbit 6702385071845 | eBay and one of these ... Fox Call Mouth Predator Caller Hunting Lamping Vermin Distressed Rabbit Squeal

I keep them both on the same lanyard and always have them around my neck ready for use even when using my IcoTech caller.

The second call gives a louder report more easily, but I think the first one is better if Charlie is within a couple of hundred yards. It took me all of 30 seconds practice with them to get calls that very few foxes ignore and I've had them come steaming in so close that I could have turned the rifle round and clubbed them with it.

Ive got one, tried for ages, then I finally got it, but the next breath NO it had gone, so gave up in the end. Still use the old wigeon whistle type i good effect

I have one, once you find the right method they are very good, especially on windy nights as they can be loud, cheers

I've had a Best fox caller ss for a few months now and after many hours of practice, I still sound like a ****ed off Swan !! Does anyone have any experience of this call and is it worth persevering with it !!! Thanks

****ing my pants when I read that, I had exactly the same issue, foxes used to run away from me not towards me :oops:

Ali

The blaze. Based on the SS one but a dam site easier to use. Not sure why it just is

Attachments

• 2405DB27-64DE-49E6-A444-661FA9C08C28.png
    2405DB27-64DE-49E6-A444-661FA9C08C28.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 21
I don't rate it. I can use it fine even without hands but i never had much success with it. The black plastic best fox call seems better in my experience. Also I use a fox pro. To be honest though since using thermal I don't really call as much any more as when lamping. More just spot and shoot 90% of the time. Maybe a shout or whistle to make them stand is all. Made me laugh though this. My mate has had one years and still can't use it. Really pi$$es him off when I pick it up and blow it without holding it lol.

I don't rate it. I can use it fine even without hands but i never had much success with it. The black plastic best fox call seems better in my experience. Also I use a fox pro. To be honest though since using thermal I don't really call as much any more as when lamping. More just spot and shoot 90% of the time. Maybe a shout or whistle to make them stand is all. Made me laugh though this. My mate has had one years and still can't use it. Really pi$$es him off when I pick it up and blow it without holding it lol.

Agreed. The little black ones are best as an average but often they just will not bother with any call if they are not hungry.

Definitely better to spot them with thermal with the wind on your side and get close enough to shoot them.

I have had a 'wam' call for a number of years with some success....I can make a fairly realistic rabbit call by both breathing in and out while holding the caller to my mouth...made of brass you have to be careful you don't crush or dent it as that would change the sound etc......Hugh.

Both the stainless and orange plastic Best Fox Calls work well for me, but like all calls, work well sometimes and are totally ignored at others. The "Wham" (note spelling difference) is also sold by BFC and these too can work well at times.
Somethimes I think people expect foxes to come tearing in to each and every call we use, this just doesn't happen which is just as well!

Somethimes I think people expect foxes to come tearing in to each and every call we use, this just doesn't happen which is just as well!
Agree 100% This year for me calls have been exceptionally unproductive. I have had a few come flying in but I've lost count of those that have totally ignored whatever call I try. Even though it can be frustrating and has at times had me wondering if somehow I'm doing something differently, perseverance is the key.

I have a couple of the Nordik Plain Pain calls which work very well. One side is higher pitched than the other. The Nordic Roe Call works well on foxes too. You just need to be imaginative in the latter's use.
20200215_091224.jpg
K

Agree 100% This year for me calls have been exceptionally unproductive. I have had a few come flying in but I've lost count of those that have totally ignored whatever call I try. Even though it can be frustrating and has at times had me wondering if somehow I'm doing something differently, perseverance is the key.
I think at times , we as shootets think we know how foxes think, when in reality we know precious little about what goes on inside that head.
Not long ago i was using my ICOtec caller on the rabbit distress, set out about fifty yards in a field. A fox walked slowly across the field towards it and got withinn two or three feet of the caller but didn't even look at it even though being so close it must have been deafening!
It carried on walking, not even looking at the call and I wondered if it was deaf. When it was well past the caller I gave a mouth squeak and it spun round and looked directly at me, bad mistake, as I shot it!.
This caller and that call has worked well for me very often, it just shows you can never know what reactions you will get from foxes.

I think at times , we as shootets think we know how foxes think, when in reality we know precious little about what goes on inside that head.
Not long ago i was using my ICOtec caller on the rabbit distress, set out about fifty yards in a field. A fox walked slowly across the field towards it and got withinn two or three feet of the caller but didn't even look at it even though being so close it must have been deafening!
It carried on walking, not even looking at the call and I wondered if it was deaf. When it was well past the caller I gave a mouth squeak and it spun round and looked directly at me, bad mistake, as I shot it!.
This caller and that call has worked well for me very often, it just shows you can never know what reactions you will get from foxes.
Maybe we should keep our electronic fox callers wrapped in a stinky rabbit pelt?

My call has a remote spinning decoy with a puppet-like glove in the shape of a bunny. I changed it for the real thing but it needs a replacement when it gets maggoty!

K

As some recommended the Wham I thought I'd give it a go.
I downloaded it onto my Fox Pro.
First night out, spotted a fox, turned the speaker up on full and set it playing.
Didn't even get past the 4th "Jitterbug" and the fox was off and away! Certainly didn't get to "put the boom boom into the heart"
Anyway maybe I got the wrong track?
Next time I'll give either Club Tropicana or Last Christmas a go and see if it works any better?

Back