Fox caller

Kevgun

Although I have a GC500 and a Outlaw from Icotec, when I have managed to leave the house without them, I keep all the calls I need on my mobile phone I just stick it on loudspeaker and that's normally loud enough, some people make the mistake of playing them too loud, I was out with a Mate a few weeks ago and for got my caller , so out with the phone and started playing the Vixen in heat call, it still works this time of the year, my friend said that's not very loud, but I called one in from 500+ yards away with it. they have brilliant hearing.

victormeldrew

Thanks for the replies folks, all much appreciated.
Once again the SD members prove that they are more than willing to assist others.

Unfortunately, I am one of those who haven't mastered calling without an artificial device, but I will keep practicing as the skill is a useful back-up.

There is a lot of good advice in the replies & I look forward to putting this into practice.

Thanks again.

V

Overlay

i have just sold my caller on, I have a few small hand callers to hand and just use them, they work perfectly well, get to know your calls and use them with moderation, you can get them running in at warp speed if you get the right hand call - little is best most times, learn as you go
if you get a jittery fox come in near distance just stop it and shoot it. don’t over do it, if it’s not coming in sit patiently it will come by again

don’t make a fuss or it will be looking for you every night and out of range

Bramble

I call with an old foxpro, normally just gefore leaving an area, I have had more come in to Baby fox cub distress at any time of year than probably any other call, field mouse disstress is also very good as a quiet call.

jimo

Try calling when you cannot see a fox. If you have the UK calls, I'd recommend trying "Mouse". Give it 5 mins or so, quite loud, then pause for a couple of minutes before repeating. Make sure the caller is well away from you and that you are not directly 'behind' it if a fox comes from the most likely direction (if you see what I mean ? ) Keep your eyes open ! If dark and you're lamping, scan at 1min intervals with the lamp, otherwise keep scanning with NV or Thermal. If still light enough to see .. Look and look well.
You'll be amazed at how often the fox will appear out of nowhere. Sometimes they'll rush the caller (Mine has teeth marks in it ! :lol:) , other times they'll come in more cautiously, but they will come.
Stop the call when the fox is in range. By then you should have him in the crosshairs and chances are he'll not have noticed you yet. If the fox still moves a quick "Oy!" will stop him. Settle the sights and squeeze ......

Foxes learn what bad news a lamp can be by people missing them. Make sure the lead goes where it should and all will be well.
If you scatter a bit of dog food around it it can hold them if they turn up between scans or stop them finding the caller if between calls. Don’t be in a hurry to move on. One may come within earshot of it at any time.

Andyquadra

If you scatter a bit of dog food around it it can hold them if they turn up between scans or stop them finding the caller if between calls. Don’t be in a hurry to move on. One may come within earshot of it at any time.
It can hold them in an area, but when I tried it, the fox never stopped moving long enough to get a shot 🤣

foxhunter

I call with an old foxpro, normally just gefore leaving an area, I have had more come in to Baby fox cub distress at any time of year than probably any other call, field mouse disstress is also very good as a quiet call.
I have shot loads to cub distress and strangely it works all year round. This years favourite call has been hare distress , if nothing else has been working this call has delivered. Strange how each year seems to have a different call working best.

victormeldrew

Thanks again lads, more good advice there.
I'm going to be busy trying out all the tips - trying a variety of calls would seem to be the answer.

Every day is a school day, I'd have thought cub distress wouldn't have worked all year round.

I've used tinned cat/dog food as bait & squash it into the ground so that it can't be eaten quickly.
On one permission I stopped using tinned as the farm cats were eating it so I changed onto dried complete dog food scattered thinly. Again this can't be eaten quickly.
The downside of the complete is that if it gets too wet it goes mushy & they won't touch it.

Thanks again,

V

foxhunter

There is no rule book to follow I've always said. Just get out there and do your own thing and success will come. I change calls all the time and you will be surprised how finding the right call on that night can make things happen quickly.

I have mating calls work all year too which isn't in the rule book either .......just get out and experiment 👍

Warrener

My most successful caller recently has been the little sand grouse caller from Best fox call, brings them running in.

uptonogood

Someone really needs to write a pamphlet for the failed mouth callers on here .
Might just do that ,no batteries needed .🤭😁👍🏻
Went to a new farm last week where a lad has been at them with a fox pro but only one fox shot in a month .
The lambs are too big to take now but they have a small shoot .
Called and shot a dog and dry vixen within 10 minutes of being there using inside of my hand 😎
Called another two with iffy backstop so I’ll be back for them .
Incidentally,while there I heard a caller few farms away being blasted full volume which I like to think helped put them my way 😁😁😁
A01D490E-4FFB-4F92-9D35-74EA2DA5B046.jpeg

Farmer Geddon

My neighbour uses a fox caller, I love them. Sitting in my ambush point one night, I heard this almighty racket, sounded like an old woman being strangled coming from the other side of the wood that he owns. After the fifth call I saw a fox bolt out of the wood at high speed towards me, it paused to cross a ditch. so I shot it. Happened twice now, exactly the same place. I might buy one now just to stick in his wood & shoot the bolters.:-|
"Study to be quiet" Isaac Walton.

dazb1967

Someone really needs to write a pamphlet for the failed mouth callers on here .
Might just do that ,no batteries needed .🤭😁👍🏻
Went to a new farm last week where a lad has been at them with a fox pro but only one fox shot in a month .
The lambs are too big to take now but they have a small shoot .
Called and shot a dog and dry vixen within 10 minutes of being there using inside of my hand 😎
Called another two with iffy backstop so I’ll be back for them .
Incidentally,while there I heard a caller few farms away being blasted full volume which I like to think helped put them my way 😁😁😁
View attachment 256310
Right place at the right time, I'm out 5 nights a week at the minute and wouldn't be without my Inferno caller, I'll always have a look about before I set the caller up and often lucky enough to bump into a few and If I see a fox the mouth caller will often bring them in but quite often the fox will run away as soon as I squeak, The nights when there is nothing about the caller seems to bring them form no where, I shoot on 2 fairly large pheasant shoots so the pheasant distress call works well for me

Overlay

Thanks again lads, more good advice there.
I'm going to be busy trying out all the tips - trying a variety of calls would seem to be the answer.

Every day is a school day, I'd have thought cub distress wouldn't have worked all year round.

I've used tinned cat/dog food as bait & squash it into the ground so that it can't be eaten quickly.
On one permission I stopped using tinned as the farm cats were eating it so I changed onto dried complete dog food scattered thinly. Again this can't be eaten quickly.
The downside of the complete is that if it gets too wet it goes mushy & they won't touch it.

Thanks again,

V
you’ll find the vixen to cub yip will work 100% this time of year both ways,, bait wise - diced up rabbit/guts in a small mesh bag hung off of one or 2 bushes 4 ‘ off the ground in your shoot zone will pull em in and stop em for a shot, don’t be in a hurry, you might think they gone straight by but in all probability they’re sitting up checking things out while checking previous hot spots out

wabbit warren

ive had a lot of foxes since ive had my icotec hellion caller, some have come rushing in big time others not so quick
but you can tell by there body langue there their because of the caller
as for calls every day is different, volume and call wise
i must admit that its been a bit quiet of late but did have a dog fox come across from over 200 yds away at full speed the other week straight at the caller
as someone else said on here "every day is a school day" you never stop learning and should take everything in and nothing for granted
i use a caller yes, but i also use mouth calls and hand calls