Fox carcass disposal

And round we go again .I stated that mate and complied with the fact but seems it’s not law .
No, you didn’t say you bagged them, you said the inspector told you they should be bagged! Any way…I wouldn’t have them any where near the unit, they’re better off in the bottom of a hedge a few fields away, having them around the unit bagged or not is only inviting other pests to come and have a free meal wether it’s four legged or winged. And it’s the winged ones you definitely don’t want around a free range poultry unit.

No, you didn’t say you bagged them, you said the inspector told you they should be bagged! Any way…I wouldn’t have them any where near the unit, they’re better off in the bottom of a hedge a few fields away, having them around the unit bagged or not is only inviting other pests to come and have a free meal wether it’s four legged or winged. And it’s the winged ones you definitely don’t want around a free range poultry unit.
It’s a free range farm mate ,not an enclosed unit .Winged vermin are everywhere and nothing anybody can do legally .Gulls mostly but rooks ,jackdaws and ravens taking eggs from within the sheds .
Perhaps I wasn’t clear ,I bag everything now after I was asked to ,hope that’s put you in the picture 👍🏻
With walkers everywhere now I don’t think field disposal is an option given there’s a perfectly good incinerator on site .It’s not like it’s one or two ,rather 100+ a year .

It’s a free range farm mate ,not an enclosed unit .Winged vermin are everywhere and nothing anybody can do legally .Gulls mostly but rooks ,jackdaws and ravens taking eggs from within the sheds .
Perhaps I wasn’t clear ,I bag everything now after I was asked to ,hope that’s put you in the picture 👍🏻
With walkers everywhere now I don’t think field disposal is an option given there’s a perfectly good incinerator on site .It’s not like it’s one or two ,rather 100+ a year .
Sounds like he’s got bigger problems than just the foxes then!! Jobs no good if he’s got birds going into the sheds and taking eggs!

I live close to a free-range
Sounds like he’s got bigger problems than just the foxes then!! Jobs no good if he’s got birds going into the sheds and taking eggs!

I live close to a free-range poultry farm and they have exactly the same problem with, mainly corvids, especially ravens taking eggs. The chickens clearly have to have access to the laying area and the flying vermin soon sort out and use the same entrances. It's almost impossible to stop it.
As far as fox carcase disposal is concerned, I suspect a lot depends on where you are. In my own area, there is a lot of cover, thick hedges etc. and when you think about it how often do you come across dead animals or birds laying about? In a lifetime of shooting and keepering I could number on the fingers of one hand the carcases I've actually found. As has already been said, a fox carcase tucked away in a quiet spot will be gone in a remarkably short time.

I live close to a free-range

I live close to a free-range poultry farm and they have exactly the same problem with, mainly corvids, especially ravens taking eggs. The chickens clearly have to have access to the laying area and the flying vermin soon sort out and use the same entrances. It's almost impossible to stop it.
As far as fox carcase disposal is concerned, I suspect a lot depends on where you are. In my own area, there is a lot of cover, thick hedges etc. and when you think about it how often do you come across dead animals or birds laying about? In a lifetime of shooting and keepering I could number on the fingers of one hand the carcases I've actually found. As has already been said, a fox carcase tucked away in a quiet spot will be gone in a remarkably short time.
I run a free range poultry unit and I agree the corvids are the biggest pest, I have a few ravens that will take the odd egg from the range that may get laid out there, but to have birds coming in to the actual shed is no good! Get trapping…

Not my problem really .I’ve told the farmer to set up a ladder trap even said I’d make one but he’s a funny sod when it comes to pest control.Thinks too much of what the public opinion is .
Apart from rats and foxes at night and the odd shed move I leave him to it .Next time I’m there I’ll take a pic of the eggs strewn about outside the sheds .Must be losing 100 eggs a day .Ravens are the instigators ,I’ve watched them but as they are protected it’s a non starter regards lethal control.
Hes tried bangers ,scarecrows and kites but they ignore all after a time .

I see no end of road kill, both foxes and muntjac, particularly along the A14. They've been there months, no doubt all dried up and largely eaten by maggots, but no highways agency comes along and removes them...🤷🏽‍♂️

I see no end of road kill, both foxes and muntjac, particularly along the A14. They've been there months, no doubt all dried up and largely eaten by maggots, but no highways agency comes along and removes them...🤷🏽‍♂️
why should they risk human lives to remove a dead animal? might be worth a big red on a blind bend but foxes and muntjac no way its worth the risk

easy to say it is a set up from the antis

Going on past experience - in all honesty it’s someone in the fox shooting brigade who can’t be arsed to remove / dispose of clinical waste with a bit of thought, see it all the time, this goes back to the don’t care attitude of the shooters themselves I have one permission whereupon carcasses can be put in a pit that gets a regular earth covering in a private part of the estate, everything else I remove albeit Deer remains, foxes, even rabbits i cant use, they are all destined for the incinerator

about a year ago coming back from work in Thanet at 4 am on the Thanet way dual carriageway the car in front approx 3-400 yds swerved when I got to the spot laying in the road four fresh shot foxes dumped on the road, looked like they had been chucked off the back of a truck

on reflection should have drove over them and get on my way, nope like a numpty, pulled over bagged em up and paid for the incineration

no wonder people get upset, imagine walking along that lane with your grandkids, beggars believe fox shooters would think that’s ok, another knife slipped in the back of shooting. Bloody disgrace. People complain about restraints being put on them, probably the reason people don’t get a CAD number so they can’t be -laced in the area

Things like this shouldn’t happen
Too many noddy's doing it, this is the trouble

I always carry them to the farmers burning pit as evidence that I'm doing my job, although I admit its very tempting to leave in a hedge when its raining and the mud is 10" deep.

I freeze foxes in black sacks and when I have a few I drop them into a local bird of prey centre and and they feed them to the raptors
(eagles/vultures/hawks etc)
I also do the same with rats, squirrels and aerial pests, and the waste and bones from butchered deer.
Its a win win, I am supporting a struggling local business with free food and they have provided me with paperwork should I encounter a jobsworth clipboard carrier.

I recently left a roe skull there as an experiment and it was returned to me completely picked clean.

I freeze foxes in black sacks and when I have a few I drop them into a local bird of prey centre and and they feed them to the raptors
(eagles/vultures/hawks etc)
I also do the same with rats, squirrels and aerial pests, and the waste and bones from butchered deer.
Its a win win, I am supporting a struggling local business with free food and they have provided me with paperwork should I encounter a jobsworth clipboard carrier.

I recently left a roe skull there as an experiment and it was returned to me completely picked clean.
Presumably you’re using lead free then?

Presumably you’re using lead free then?

No, I am using lead, they defrost them and then dispose of anything they don't want to use. They also told me copper was just as much of a problem going up the food chain.

My post was an example of how you can dispose of carcasses/waste and not start a lead v copper debate when BOTH are likely to be banned over time.

A simple google search of "Is copper toxic?" produces this result...

In these animals excess consumption of copper is linked to many negative health effects, including liver damage. ... If animals are killed with copper bullets, and the bullet's wound path is trimmed by hunters and left in the field, animals who consume that left over meat may ingest harmful quantities of copper.

Back