Fox cubs.

I shot two last night the size of domestic cats, out playing, as others have said, I get no pleasure from this and questioned doing it but with ground nesting birds round here it’s a no brainer.

Well done on the dispatch mate ,just another set of cubs to look for now then .
No chance, these were moved in, none anywhere else on us. A drying off vixen don't do visits to other litters. Snared within 5 yds of holes convinces me they were hers. Not enough work for them to have been there long.

Ah you never said they been freshly moved in ,different story mate .A litter born and established in an earth that is killed will see both parents desert the area very soon after .
Just an observation .

Love talking to old boys about fox control ,especially pre 72 if you get my drift .i remember that era too though I was a wet nosed teenager with his first terrier .Bred a few since though and decent enough stuff too .

Ah you never said they been freshly moved in ,different story mate .A litter born and established in an earth that is killed will see both parents desert the area very soon after .
Just an observation .
Post 5 my friend :tiphat:. On the hill if we missed a litter initially we would do the Cubs, then lay out for both adults. Different strokes for different ops. Seen litters split, dogs and Vicky's half mile apart same parents. There's no end to learning about Vulpes and I'm knocking 80.

Sorry mate must have missed that .You are right though ,much to learn .Ive found litters spread out as well especially as they grow and definately when the birthing earth is rancid with corpses .I hate digging cubs to be honest ,my terriers are too big for one thing and always ends in destroying the earth .Better to cage trap them after dealing with dog and vic .
We once shot 3 vixens attending an earth though only one was wet .
One thing I miss from keepering is the full time learning at the coal face .
Have you ever tried or had success with digging a hole for the dead vic and expecting cubs in the morning to be with her .

Watched a litter of cubs play fighting with the vixen only 5 yds from my feet last night for almost an hour. Recorded it on the phone and shared with friends and family,,loved every moment of it, would never consider shooting cubs, it would be like killing labrador puppies...

Call me crazy if you wish..

Sorry mate must have missed that .You are right though ,much to learn .Ive found litters spread out as well especially as they grow and definately when the birthing earth is rancid with corpses .I hate digging cubs to be honest ,my terriers are too big for one thing and always ends in destroying the earth .Better to cage trap them after dealing with dog and vic .
We once shot 3 vixens attending an earth though only one was wet .
One thing I miss from keepering is the full time learning at the coal face .
Have you ever tried or had success with digging a hole for the dead vic and expecting cubs in the morning to be with her .

I'm still at it with wild birds. No to your last question, but I've often seen a wet vixen and a barren one together with a dog bringing food in. I only ever used to dig for Cubs when small and she was home. Usually on the hill mid April. Low ground totally different. I used small borders when up North and in Ireland. Had them for 30 yrs, all sorts before that.

Vixen popped out cubs accounted for
Vixen now accounted for too shot believe it or not from my patio doors good night

Watched a litter of cubs play fighting with the vixen only 5 yds from my feet last night for almost an hour. Recorded it on the phone and shared with friends and family,,loved every moment of it, would never consider shooting cubs, it would be like killing labrador puppies...

Call me crazy if you wish..
Ok you’re crazy

We have just spent 5 hrs checking every known hole and possible place but nothing showing anywhere. The lot I just sorted possibly moved from next door as he had a litter but disturbed the area and they vanished. Our biggest problem is the Newcastle supporters, 11 major establishments, between five and thirty holes. Small wonder ground nesters are diminishing, and that includes Waders, Skylarks and pippits. The cuddly bunny people have a lot to answer for, besides TB in cattle.

foxdropper,a question if i may .we moved cattle yesterday and found a fox den in the straw that was put down for the cattle,its in the wooded edge of the field. at 0630 this morning i saw 8 cubs running around the vixen and a little later 0720 i saw a ninth cub and what i can only assume was the dog fox 60 meters away from the main group.would this be the same family or would nine cubs be to many for the vixen to handle?

Back