Fox trap.

Tom D

I need to remove a couple of foxes from a clients garden, very urban site so shooting them is not an option. I was going to buy some new cage traps and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations regarding make and model. I once had an old one but it’s gone now. Also what’s your favourite bait? I used to use cat food but am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Cottis

What food do they have access to in the urban environment where they dwell? Might be an idea to use a burger carton smeared with mayo and relish ha ha.

Seriously though, when I shoot rabbits in the wild, foxes often come to them very soon after they have been shot. Everything evolves and adjusts to their surroundings. If I am out after foxes, I will often just defrost a couple of rabbits or shoot a fresh one in the afternoon and that chuck it in an area that is being visited by a fox. Often works.

No idea on the trap I am afraid, never tried that. Good luck.

Tom D

I saw that, it’s expensive! There are some out there for as little as £50, I was wondering if these were any good? I’ll buy the expensive ones if they are the right thing but if the cheapo ones will work then.....

DJB266

I highly recommend Colin’s traps on Facebook! He doesn’t have a website and you have to collect from him in Peterborough but the traps are second to none, very reasonably priced and the expertise and knowledge from Colin cannot be beat! Retired gamekeeper been making traps since he was a boy they truly are fantastic!

JTO

Traps seem to work better around buildings where there is already plenty of human scent. If there is a shed of hen house, place it just inside and access point.
You hear all sorts of stories during beaters' lunch. One chap reckoned someone had been successful with traps because the foxes were not dispatched while still inside the trap.

Tom D

Traps seem to work better around buildings where there is already plenty of human scent. If there is a shed of hen house, place it just inside and access point.
You hear all sorts of stories during beaters' lunch. One chap reckoned someone had been successful with traps because the foxes were not dispatched while still inside the trap.
So how does he dispatch them? Let it bolt and try and hit it with a 12 bore? Or perhaps a killing cage?

DJB266

That is truth! They can smell the blood in the cage if you dispatch them in traps, best to get a welding gauntlet or a catch pole and remove them from the trap before dispatching.

Tom D

Thinking about it, that would make sense as then the trap could be reset immediately saving the need to take it home and bring it back again. Do foxes go limp if you grab them by the scruff? Never handled a live one.
I just figured I’d tap them on the head with the .22... maybe I need some sort of carry cage too..

DJB266

Thinking about it, that would make sense as then the trap could be reset immediately saving the need to take it home and bring it back again. Do foxes go limp if you grab them by the scruff? Never handled a live one.
I just figured I’d tap them on the head with the .22... maybe I need some sort of carry cage too..

I wouldn’t say limp but they are a bit easier to handle! I put in for a .22 revolver for dispatching them out of traps, just carry them away from the trap a little ways and do the job!

willowbank

What food do they have access to in the urban environment where they dwell? Might be an idea to use a burger carton smeared with mayo and relish ha ha.

Seriously though, when I shoot rabbits in the wild, foxes often come to them very soon after they have been shot. Everything evolves and adjusts to their surroundings. If I am out after foxes, I will often just defrost a couple of rabbits or shoot a fresh one in the afternoon and that chuck it in an area that is being visited by a fox. Often works.

No idea on the trap I am afraid, never tried that. Good luck.

Interesting on the thawed rabbits, I’ve found that they are scentless after being frozen, having had foxes walk right past the traps on several occasions and caught on cameras doing so.

When the traps were baited with fresh rabbits they started catching. This was the same with frozen Pheasants when used as bait so imo freezing destroys the scent.

The best type of trap I have found is the vertical sliding door, don’t waste your money on cheap Chinese collapsible swing door traps usually with a treadal bait plate, they sound good but Charlie gets out too easily through the gap at the sides of the door.

.410 barrel through the cage mesh is safest way to despatch, I wouldn’t worry about doing the job in the trap, they don’t give a toot about blood etc. I’ve been doing this for quite some time and don’t seem to have any problems. I certainly would not be trying to handle a big old dog fox who’s spitting and snarling and already trying to get at you through the cage as you approach. I kid you not it happens.

Willowbank

Last edited: