Foxes n silage

Over the years have noted that foxes have a great liking for silage pits, particularly over the colder winter months. Have assumed that they were doing this for free warmth, but wondered if there was a food related reason for doing so.
Anybody got any theories or experiences?

Worms they eat tons of em,reading a book called running with the fox all about their habits,way of life etc.When times are hard they love to top up on worms and your silage pit is probably worm central.They also eat maggots if all else is unavailable atb

Worms they eat tons of em,reading a book called running with the fox all about their habits,way of life etc.When times are hard they love to top up on worms and your silage pit is probably worm central.They also eat maggots if all else is unavailable atb

Iv never seen a worm in our silage dung yes silage no.

Regards yes.

Thats why i said probably lads,the book is a mine of info about what they eat and when times are hard they eat beetles and any wigggly thing to keep hunger at bay .So it was a suggestion based on the book ,if there are beetles the do eat them and as Foxdropper said rats and as we all know any mice are fair game atb

I had a dog which loved eating silage. She'd slope off frequently in the evenings and help herself from the clamp. Revolting breath...

No worms in silage.
Foxes and badgers will both go for maize silage. I've seen a whole gang of badgers feeding at a clampface, just like the black and white cows, but in miniature!
Also bear in mind that grass silage may have other ingredients incorporated into it which the foxes might be attracted to. They'll also eat wholecrop cereal silage.

Thatl be that there experience Tim ,Foxes are a law unto themselves just as u think u know them the boomerang and curveball turn up

I've shot a fair number of foxes laid up ontop of a silage pit especially in very hard weather when straw bales have been stacked on top in a indoor pit but have never seen a fox actually eating silage, the mice and rats among the tires, sheets, bale will be easy pickings.

Back