foxes pairing up

hairlesshunter

Out last night heard the same noise as is on the FoxPro. Vixen on heat walked across the field were I had been shooting rabbits with my hmr and there were two maybe three foxes jumping and lunging at one fox which I would think was the vixen. Watch them for a couple of minuets then stopped as I didn't want to make my presence known as I will make hopefully one more visit with my 204 or 223 :) any one else heard anything .

wikedwickedmotox

seen 3 scrapping 8 weeks ago shot 2 of them a dog and a vixen, then shot 3 scrapping again in the same field 2 dogs and a vixen, also watched a pair run off up across the moors together. This is on high moorland though and they are always a few weeks early

Bumble

Quiet here so far.Normally hear a dogfox near me by December.Not heard anything while i`ve been out.

Paddy_SP

Not much going on around here - but then again, there are so few foxes about that I'm pleased if I even see one...

fox stalker

saw 3 in the same field monday night sniffing around each other...none shot tho due to backstop not good enough.

Rowey

Very quiet in our neck of the woods. Hardly seeing any never mind hearing them. Weathers been strange all year though. Everything still seems behind here so they may kick off later as well as move in

garyw

the vixens are calling but too early to mate.the vixens will have more than one dog as a partner so calling lasts a few months.

finnbear270

No calling where I was positioned last night, but an obvious pair were shot, big dog fox appeared, just came up like a molehill!!! 73 yards in front down the side of the valley, shot him @ 21.45, a waft of fox straight after the thump confirmed the tiniest of air movement, I left him lay, & sure enough the vixen turned up @ 22.00 to try some cpr, result, early bath. Forgot to mention, the green filter is still not fazing them!:D

Last edited:

Cyres

Heard a dog fox barking at 8pm last night, weve not been out for weeks as so wet looks like nightly patrols will soon resume.

D

wraith

had lots of foxes and vixens paired up over the last two weeks vixen in heat call got a few dogs and teritorial vixens as well spotted 8the other night with the night vision but more intrested in food

novice

We had a pair running together on Thursday. Had a vixen calling for about 5 minutes straight at 6am the other morning. Unfortunately I was in the bathroom getting ready to go to work when I heard her!

Novice

garyw

how do you know a vixen calls when in heat? how does it differ from a call to her mate[location call]or if not paired up a call to attract a mate.

novice

I didn't say she was calling to attract a mate on this occasion, but my understanding is that there are certain calls that they use when they're on heat. They're certainly marked up as such on my FoxPro :D

Crow Man

Vixen calling last Sunday night only one field away from where we were crow shooting at the edge of dark. Managed to call in a dog fox using vixen mating call on fox pro on Tuesday night and again on Thursday night both called in from some distance, could hear them calling back for quite a long time getting closer and closer.
Fell to the trusty .204 with pulsar night vision.:)