Fps

Bramble

I'v changed powder from H380 to RL15, I did some load development a few months back and found a Good grouping at 38 grin which is near maximum for 50 grin Vmax in 22.250, bolt was sometimes hard to lift, but this had given me touching 5 shot groups ehen i developed the load and has done me well for the last few months on tge foxs. So I tried today with slightly lower load, in the mean time i had tried annealing all of the cases as some were on there 6th or 7th firing, so after reading and youtubeing i had a go with a blowtorch etc. I took the chrono and got the following results: 38 grn 4064, 3998, 3938, 37.4grn 3938, 4020, 3860, 37.7grn 4015, 3934, 4050, 3955. Question is are these too great a difference, there wasn't one group that got close to my original grouping not even the 38grn from the annealled case, have I bigger rd the case necks, or was it the temperature as i rwad RL15 is quite temerature sensitive or am I on the wrong track, I have been reloading for about 4 years now so have the basics but can't figure this one at all, I might just buy new brass and start from scratch. Your thoughts would be much appreciated, many thanks

Muir

How many groups did you fire when you got that good 38 grain load? Did you fire enough groups to prove to yourself that this wasn't just a random occurrence? ~Muir

enfieldspares

Maybe your case necks have changed dimension and not consistently from case to case. The necks may have lengthened of the neck walls may have thickened. This would then affect how the case releases the bullet when the rifle is fired and could therefore affect pressure which will affect velocity. Personally by the time of the fifth firing if working with maximum loads I will usually get rid of the cases. I trim cases to get a longer life out of them and that is it. I've never bothered with annealing nor with neck wall reaming.

Bramble

Muir: I only did one group, so yes i see that may have been a one off, i have gone back and loaded the last 36 cases that I haven't annealled yet, I will see what they do asap, Enfieldspares: this was my thoughts, the group's I shot yesterday were all around an inch, but before a nnealling they were touching, but as Muir said, may have been a one off, thanks

jb1

Developing loads close to max in cooler months is ok until you get weather like we have now, that may be why you may have higher pressures. Annealing can be a bit and miss over do it and the brass is as soft as butter under do it and you may as well not bother. Case length may also affect group size, if I were in your boots I would buy brass that is reusable to a point but again cheap enough to be binned after a few firings. Ie Remington brass at say a ball park £70 - 100 if you get 5 firing out of that thats 14pence a case.

Last edited:

enfieldspares

The group....were all around an inch

Heck! I'd be more than happy for foxing, or any deer, use with an inch group at one hundred yards. That's what two and a half inches at two hundred yards? Shoot it straight through the shoulders. Your .22-250 will easily take the top of the heart and/or the lungs out. After all nobody we know, save Tom Corvid, is going to be eating it.

What I would though remain concerned about is that your pressures are maybe low, regular and often worryingly high. As you say the bolt is hard to lift. Not good really. As that also can affect case life. I'd maybe cut back a fifth of a grain (or even a half a grain as sometimes bold adjustments are best) and see how it goes?

There's few foxes that can't equally be killed dead right there with a 50 grain 3,500 fps bullet or 3,600 fps bullet as a 3,700 fps or 3,800 fps bullet! As an old, now dead friend said to another tempted by the mantra that velocity is all, "You're trying to kill a fox...not stop a truck."

Last edited:

Muir

When working up a load I pick my powder and load at least 25 cartridges. Next time i might up the charge and load another 25. Doing it this way allows me to weed out the odd groups and gives me a better idea of the true performance of the round.~Muir

Bramble

Thanks for your replies, i was more than happy when i was using H380 i was getting good accurasy at around 3700fps, i was using the same cases as now all trimmed to same size, I think I will buy new quality brass and maybe try a different powder, perhaps fse223 or I think some people use n140, I will do a search, cheers