France

Territory Hunting

rafael fach

Guys I have gone and bought a house in the central loire has anyone got any experience in getting some stalking/general shooting in France or the loire in particular it will initially be a holiday home

Cheers Ian

Bavarianbrit

Do you not have to have passed the French chasse permit exam first?
I was told so on my German Jagdschein course which was located on the French border near Saarlouis, but that was back in 1998.
Post LeBrexit it may all change as we will be in the same category as an American hunting guest and no longer treated as EU citizens.
Please don"t claim this is remainer bitching, I am just being realistic.

GWP

I asked a gun on the shoot i beat on just after he had moved to france about boar shooting his reply was dont recond it wasnt safe :eek:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Guys I have gone and bought a house in the central loire has anyone got any experience in getting some stalking/general shooting in France or the loire in particular it will initially be a holiday home

Cheers Ian
If you don't want to go through the entire training and testing procedure with the regional hunting association to obtain a full permit (Permis de Chasse) you can obtain temporary permits valid for up to three days (don't quote me as I'm a little out of touch) from the association. I understand that it may vary from Department to Department but there is usually a limit on the number of temporary permits you can have in a year (2 is normal I think).

Ask in your local Armurier about who can provide shooting locally or look up some of national hunting magazines as often someone will be offering their services. Another good source of information is the Sanglier net website.

reiver

When I worked in France the first thing to do was introduced your self to the local Marie with a good bottle of malt !! It works wonders and opens lots of doors .Also the Marie knows everyone to know . Where I works he was also in the local shoot 😉

Oldstalker

I have not hunted in the Central Loire area in France but have been going for many years to shoot boar in NE France (Northern Vosges). I have however driven through much of the central Loire area on many trips with my late wife. Your (holiday) home is in some of the most expensive, manicured and carefully guarded hunting in the whole of France; with good reason (as well as proximity to Parisian money).
You indicate you will/may probably retire there ?? and if so then it would be worth doing the French hunting test with the departmental hunting association. I am sure that even in France's most expensive hunting areas there must be local hunt clubs and it is worth joining even if you have to do an apprenticeship of beating for a few seasons. In some parts of France these clubs are also associated with wealthier folk who own or rent larger forest tracts for sport (they make the man the hunt president) and use his and the hunt club lands (usually domainiale) over which to sport. Get in with the Maire (you have after all buildings to sort) and find out who runs the local hunt or club. Get involved in the community, their festivals/festivities - one of which will probably be the local hunt.
The Permis de Chasse can be departmental or national and must be accompanied by insurance, which contrary to the anglo-salon pattern must be "illimite" (unlimited - a concept alien to our insurers) but it is not ridiculously expensive.
If you speak (and can read) French start buying a few hunting magazines and read them; they can be quite educational and the French hunters have become quite eco-conscious and much more scientific in many areas. Also they publish the statistics on mortality of people whilst engaged in hunting; fascinating and it shows how rarely they actually shoot anyone. Most of the mortalities are mountain falls/heart attack or similar, occasionally someone shoots themselves - crossing a fence/climbing a high-seat etc or on one memorable occasion was shot by his dog jumping into a boat! They also publish hunting statistics.
Go and enjoy [and I shall confess to a little envy - but then where I went we had Germanic organised and disciplined shooting with French flair and cuisine/wines, but served in German quantities!]. GET ON !!!

Last edited:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Rafael fach if you read French and intend sitting the exam for a Permis de Chasse it would be worth your while looking out for a book in the supermarket that gives sample questions for the exam. I believe that this publication is updated every year or so and is widely available.

Oldstalker

Rafael fach if you read French and intend sitting the exam for a Permis de Chasse it would be worth your while looking out for a book in the supermarket that gives sample questions for the exam. I believe that this publication is updated every year or so and is widely available.
Also if you go onto some of the Departmental association websites eg Bas-Rhin they have dummy exams you can practice on. Good luck and God speed you but above all have fun.

Sharpie

+1, you must get in with Mayor, whether not you want to shoot. All sorts of things become much easier.

My parents used to have a place in Lot et Garonne, so I looked into this. The hunting exam was done two times per year, in French only, and was necessary for joining the Chasse. With whom I was friendly because I regularly had to gather up lost bewildered inexperienced dogs in the first week of the season and take them back to HQ to be re-united with their owners.

Possibly I might have been invited out a few times to be lent a rifle and have a go myself, but if so I have no recollection of such happening. Nor getting a result.

I chose not to go out much during the first few days, having been warned that it wasn't particularly safe to do so by concerned neighbours.

enfieldspares

Basically there are two sorts of licence. A licence for target shooting, including for shotguns clay pigeons and a licence for hunting with rifled arms and/or shotguns. In truth there are some who obtain the former (as it is easier) and then go an shoot pigeons anyway. As a "visitor" you can get a temporary licence in the basis of your UK FAC and/or SGC but I am unfamiliar with how to do that. Before the late 2000s when the law changed weapons capable for firing "military ammunition" which was everything that ever was a military calibre were effectively prohibited but OTOH single shot .22RF rifles needed no licence. That changed under Sarkozy and now the military calibre restriction no longer exists so you can use .30/06 for hunting as you can 8x57 and etc.. But the no licence .22RF also then came under licence control. When I lived in Paris in the 17me I had a BSA Martini in my flat there. Most gunshops sell the book with the Permis de Chasse test questions....I had one at one time....and it isn't that too technical French so it's easy reading but nevertheless a bit of a slog.

Last edited:

Tim.243

Basically there are two sorts of licence. A licence for target shooting, including for shotguns clay pigeons and a licence for hunting with rifled arms and/or shotguns. In truth there are some who obtain the former (as it is easier) and then go an shoot pigeons anyway. As a "visitor" you can get a temporary licence in the basis of your UK FAC and/or SGC but I am unfamiliar with how to do that. Before the late 2000s when the law changed weapons capable for firing "military ammunition" which was everything that ever was a military calibre were effectively prohibited but OTOH single shot .22RF rifles needed no licence. That changed under Sarkozy and now the military calibre restriction no longer exists so you can use .30/06 for hunting as you can 8x57 and etc.. But the no licence .22RF also then came under licence control. When I lived in Paris in the 17me I had a BSA Martini in my flat there. Most gunshops sell the book with the Permis de Chasse test questions....I had one at one time....and it isn't that too technical French so it's easy reading but nevertheless a bit of a slog.
When was the last time you hunted in France?

enfieldspares

When was the last time you hunted in France?
Too much effort to bother in truth. Last time I did any shooting in France was probably 2012 or so. And living there from 2002 to 2006 and 2015 to 2019 I knew enough French colleagues and acquaintainces that did to know about what's what. Easier just to shoot here in the UK. Less faff, less paperwork, less hassle.

CDSG Shooting Sports