front sling stud /tikka t3

Trapper

Well-Known Member
#1
Gents/ladies
my front sling mounting stud has virtually pulled out , the Harris bi pod slips around quite freely and another trip out I am sure will result in Rifle parting with sling etc.
Have unscrewed mounting pin (previously mounted by gunsmith with Araldite) Before I attempt to re assemble what epoxy resin would you recommend!I currently have a metal resin from WICKES and a mixture resin also from Wickes , they claim to weld shite to a Badger!!
any thoughts , and yes I have checked the screw threads are clean.
thanks
Trapper
 

Trapper

Well-Known Member
#3
snowstorm
just a bog standard thread pin mount ! and yes synthetic , still under warranty do i bite the bullet and ask for a new stock with mounts. I kinda want to get out in the field asp!
Trapper
 

snowstorm

Well-Known Member
#4
In that case I'd just ask for a new stock, email them a photo to prove it's damaged and see if they'll post you a new stock only. It would be a major pain to have send the whole rifle/stock back. tell them you need it for your job and have cull targets to hit.

If they wont and you are really stuck. I would fill the hole with araldite, let it partially set, gently screw in the stud to make a threaded hole, then remove it, let it set hard then screw it in fixed with a drop of threadlock or superglue. I would try to get the araldite expanding/spread out ont he far side of the hole so it has somethign to 'pull' against when in use.

You might also try just plugging the hole with the glue, letting it set hard and drilling/tapping to let to get the stud in afterwards.

Other ideas - carefully carve out a tight fitting relief hole for a hex bolt to match the thread and glue that in place.

Problem is of course that once you do any of this, you can't undo it. It might invalidate your warranty.

Clean everything with acetone first. I had to do quick fixes like this all the time on my old MGB and araldite works wonders. Molecular metal etc need other metal to bond to and they do go like metal and need filing or grinding to get them to shape, and it's a bugger to remove if it goes wrong.

Best,

S.
 

ReneZ

Well-Known Member
#6
Bit more work, but you might be able to get a helicoil set and set it in with the araldite. Will be the permanent fix.
 

auquhollie

Well-Known Member
#7
What i done was to purchase another qd stud from www.continentalshooting.co.uk. It comes with complete with a nut on the end. You simply drill a small hole in the stock just back from the bi-pod and screw in and fitt the stud. After this i filled the hole with epoxy.

Now my sling fits on the bottom stud and the bi-pod on the top one. Saves the bi-pod digging in your back when walking.

Ads
 

buck52

Well-Known Member
#8
auquhollie said:
What i done was to purchase another qd stud from www.continentalshooting.co.uk. It comes with complete with a nut on the end. You simply drill a small hole in the stock just back from the bi-pod and screw in and fitt the stud. After this i filled the hole with epoxy.

Now my sling fits on the bottom stud and the bi-pod on the top one. Saves the bi-pod digging in your back when walking.

Ads
As he said, one of these will fix you up forever, about £6.00 I think.

 

The Farmer

Well-Known Member
#9
buck52 said:
auquhollie said:
What i done was to purchase another qd stud from www.continentalshooting.co.uk. It comes with complete with a nut on the end. You simply drill a small hole in the stock just back from the bi-pod and screw in and fitt the stud. After this i filled the hole with epoxy.

Now my sling fits on the bottom stud and the bi-pod on the top one. Saves the bi-pod digging in your back when walking.

Ads
As he said, one of these will fix you up forever, about £6.00 I think.

I got one of these from target sports in bolton for my tikka when it did the same thing. Great bit of kit and even better they gave it me for free!
 

Top