Ft/Lbs Legality of Power Drop-off at Range

Toxster

If I shoot a round that (at the muzzle) generates 1750ft/lb and flys at 2450fps with a 150grain bullet then it is legal for all deer in Scotland with a 50 grain margin of error.

If the deer is at 300 metres and the chart for that rifle/ammo combo says at 300m there is 1500ft/lb...is that shot legal or illegal?

Johno100

The law is about muzzle energy not what the energy is at any other distance , obviously bullet weight stays the same regardless of distance.

Toxster

Cool, that makes my calibre choice easier as I was worried the 6.5x55 might not be legal on Scottish Reds over 150m.

Thanks.

Finch

Where a minimum energy level is required for a rifle to be used legally against a particular species, as far as I am aware, the law states that the energy level shall be measured at the muzzle.
Anything else would be unworkable.

Conor1

Where a minimum energy level is required for a rifle to be used legally against a particular species, as far as I am aware, the law states that the energy level shall be measured at the muzzle.
Anything else would be unworkable.
In Switzerland, the energy is measured at 200m and if I remember correctly it has to be 2000 Joules at 200m.

Finch

In Switzerland, the energy is measured at 200m and if I remember correctly it has to be 2000 Joules at 200m.
Yes, but then Switzerland is the country that invented the cuckoo clock and where it is an offence to slam a car door. So we must make allowances.

charadam

This is one of those logic cycles.

Everyone who shoots deer wants a clean kill.
Government regulators want us to kill deer cleanly.
This requires a certain energy.
No one can predict the range at which you will take your deer - point blank to 500 yards is feasible.
At all ranges the bullet must have enough energy to kill cleanly.
The regulators have only one certainty and that is to require muzzle energy sufficient to kill cleanly.
The laws of physics, external and terminal ballistics take care of the downrange factors.
By additionally specifying minimum calibres as well as expanding projectiles they can be REASONABLY sure that they have provided the environment for a clean kill at all reasonable ranges.

I am in two minds about testing down range and can see the attraction of the Swiss method - but what a legislative and administrative nightmare that would be.

Johno100

Current minimum calibres ensure a clean kill if placed correctly so why mess with current legislation , bureaucrats would only go and add additional unworkable nonsense if asked to change things.