Full length resize

safer

Do you and should you full length resize brass every time? I use my brass in the same rifle. Does using full length die have any negative effect on brass life expectancy?
I do have neck sizing die as well but I am just curious what other people do and think on the subject.

DVS1

I FL resize everytime. Eric Cortina advocates this also and his YouTube video of other professional marksmen and what they do kinda answers the question. Personal preference granted but these guys are world champions and must be doing something right.

safer

Thank you for the prompt response guys. Just as I thought and have been doing not based on research on this particular subject but on my own knowledge and reasoning. I will continue to do so. Apologies if this was asked before but something that just popped in my head and I thought I'd ask. Agree with #Fabnosh I should have searched first. Great video #jcampbellsmith.

beanieboy

When I used to reload 223, I used a Lee Collet neck sizing die and then every second reload used a Redding body die. I have found however that neck sizing 17 hornet brass only makes the ammo very difficult to bolt in and I therefore now fl resize every time.

ApexOrdnance

I used to manage to get around 4 firings from neck sized .223 brass before the bolt started to get harder to close. Now I just anneal and FL everytime. Doesn't seam to affect accuracy or lifespan of brass. I still get 10 to 12 firings before it gets binned, even then I've not noticed any signs of seperation, its normally the primer pockets are loose or that I feel I'm pushing my luck. I'm not one for hot loads though.

Muir

Depends on the rifle and cartridge but for 99 percent of my loading I FL resize.

Looking at the opposite side of the coin, Lyman has published that after over 100 years in the business of reloading, they have determined that neck sizing does not increase accuracy nor increase case life. ~Muir

Steff

.. Lyman ... have determined that neck sizing does not increase accuracy nor increase case life. ~Muir
Agreed. But neck sizing only saves my time. I only ever FL size where it is technically necessary.

muddy42

I think it depends on the rifle. I could not get neck sizing only to work in my old 308 - inconsistently stiff chambering and stuck cases.

Utectok

I’ve done both and I’m not certain it makes a massive difference in accuracy at stalking ranges. But makes cases chamber easier and eject easier. Im pretty pedantic about case prep and now (new brass gets the primer pocket de burred) then I anneal then body size then neck size with a collet sizer then trim then chamfer internal neck with a k and m chamfer tool. I like a low SD. Unfortunately I still miss :( but at least that’s not the rounds for sure!

Dalua

I FL resize everytime. Eric Cortina advocates this also and his YouTube video of other professional marksmen and what they do kinda answers the question. Personal preference granted but these guys are world champions and must be doing something right.
In fact, they'll probably be doing nearly everything that can possibly be done reloadingwise, regardless of how slight the impact on accuracy might be, and using dies matched to custom chambers (or vice versa).

I do wonder if advocating universal FL-resizing on the grounds that top competition shooters do it is a bit like advising me to replace my bike's components with lightweight titanium bits on the grounds that top racing cyclists use them?
It wouldn't, however, get me to work and back noticably faster.

DVS1

I do see your angle however I was simply referring to the basic choice of neck or FL sizing process. Yes I dare say those guys have dies made to their spec, their chamber dimensions, honed etc etc and if people wish to be that anal then go for it...but in a basic segment of reloading there is a choice of 2 methods neck or FL. I was referring to the fact these top shooters FL size no matter which die they use etc 😊

Jelen

I do see your angle however I was simply referring to the basic choice of neck or FL sizing process. Yes I dare say those guys have dies made to their spec, their chamber dimensions, honed etc etc and if people wish to be that anal then go for it...but in a basic segment of reloading there is a choice of 2 methods neck or FL. I was referring to the fact these top shooters FL size no matter which die they use etc 😊
I shot competitively 40 years ago. There was no ammo concern as it was all 7.62 and RG.
However, I wonder whether todays top competitors all FL resize purely for consistency. Or because they don't want to risk a dodgy chambering in the middle of a practice?

NullMac

but in a basic segment of reloading there is a choice of 2 methods neck or FL.
There are degrees of FL resizing. You can go the full hog and ram it fully into the die, or you can use a variety of methods to limit how much you work the brass. You see a lot of people talking about nudging the shoulder back 2 thou so the case will be close to the chamber sizing, limit work on the brass, prevent a case failing to load or get stuck, and you are always going back to one set of dimensions.

Is this all worthwhile? We see lots of people talking about fliers on here. Well we can stop pretending shots are fliers, which for some reason can be ignored, and call them misses instead.

Dalua

There are degrees of FL resizing. You can go the full hog and ram it fully into the die, or you can use a variety of methods to limit how much you work the brass. You see a lot of people talking about nudging the shoulder back 2 thou so the case will be close to the chamber sizing, limit work on the brass, prevent a case failing to load or get stuck, and you are always going back to one set of dimensions.

Is this all worthwhile? We see lots of people talking about fliers on here. Well we can stop pretending shots are fliers, which for some reason can be ignored, and call them misses instead.
I certainly follow the 'part-FL' resizing trick (matched to the respective chamber) more often than I use 'full-FL'.

As to the 'fliers' - I think perhaps you're being a bit harsh: they're usually not misses at all, but merely flies in the sub-half-MOA ointment with which we like annoint ourselves nowadays to show we're proper riflemen.
:)