Full Thunder Moon.

New Avon Arms

FrenchieBoy

The moon isn't full till Friday but I got this photo of it at Midnight on Wednesday. I've never seen the moon quite this colour before and will try to get a photo of it when it is full on Friday. The only work I have done on this photo is to crop it. It was taken on my Canon SX50 Bridge Camera and a tripod.
bIBTpF6.jpg

John Gryphon

I will pose that the colour is from air pollution FB.
The moon is in reality a silver colour without the air rubbish at least in this part of high country Orstraya.

Swedish

The moon is in reality a silver colour without the air rubbish at least in this part of high country Orstraya.
Not much industrial pollution in the NW of England (OP's location) JG, some of the cleanest air found anywhere in the World. However the pollen count at the moment is very high so most likely pollution from natural causes.

FrenchieBoy

Your explanations are quite plausible JG and Swedish, but the explanation for a Full Blood Moon can be found in the Internet which suggests that it is not down to air pollution (Which is what I too initially suspected). Here is what I found:

What causes the blood moon?
It's called a blood moon because of the reddish hue it takes on during the eclipse, according to NASA. The red color comes from sunlight filtering through Earth's atmosphere as the moon passes through the planet's shadow over several hours. This is the first of only two lunar eclipses in 2021.

John Gryphon

isnt yours yellow though.

i stepped outside five mins ago and my moon is silver. There are so many different colours.

i imagine that the 'layers' are polluted.

When the moon appears orange or yellow, it simply means that the observer is looking at it through more layers of atmosphere. ... By this time, only yellow, orange and red light will remain unabsorbed. A yellow moon is commonly called a Harvest Moon.

Last edited:

FrenchieBoy

isnt yours yellow though.

i stepped outside five mins ago and my moon is silver. There are so many different colours.

i imagine that the 'layers' are polluted.

When the moon appears orange or yellow, it simply means that the observer is looking at it through more layers of atmosphere. ... By this time, only yellow, orange and red light will remain unabsorbed. A yellow moon is commonly called a Harvest Moon.
I'm quite happy to go by the explanation given John! Maybe we will have to just agree to differ as I have no wish to argue with you or anyone else! :tiphat:

wytonpjs

Still rubbish for stalking though :coat:
Interestingly, it wasn't rubbish and, whilst not the most productive of outgoings, fallow, roe and muntjac were seen and stalked. The cloud cover meant that the moon was not visible in Gloucestershire this morning and, up to about 7, it was very pleasant stalking :thumb:

CDSG Shooting Sports