FX Crown .25 review

Steve123

I have had a .25 FX Crown synthetic for around 6 months now and thought some might be interested in thoughts on it. Iy is tac rated to 47 ft lbs as standard and set up to shoot the 25.4g JSB pellets . It does this very well at around 920 fps and has good single hole accuracy at 45 y zero and is a reasonable all round pellet up to say 70 yards. It does seem to blow around in the wind though. I have been using more recently the 39.5g King Heavy MK 2 and they shoot flatter despite the slower velocity at 820fps and less drift. The barrel changes point of impact when the shroud is changed from in to out. I tend to zero with the shroud out as it is much quieter and push back in when it goes in the bag or cabinet. It does not seem to affect zero pulling it back out to take the shot.

Having read up on the new slug liner barrels that FX have developed I ordered one but so far despite several promises to get them in February this year , nothing has materialised. I did see them on sale at a Dutch gun shop called "Krale" and ordered and received it from them. Amazingly this is one of many deliveries they have received of these slug liners , despite the UK importer not yet having any deliveries.

I was most interested in trying the slugs , but the Nielson slugs from the US are 19 dollars per 100 and 37 dollars delivery. So because of the delivery cost I have not yet ordered any. I did think the H and N Grizzly which has a good BC would work well in the slug barrel, but so far I can't get a group out of them it sprays them around. I have experimented with different reg pressure and hammer spring settings as some people have turned up their regs to 155 bar.

I have tried many different settings so far and have settled on 150 bar reg pressure and adjusted the hammer spring . It now shoots the 39.25g JSB King Heavies at 880 fps consistently with small variations in velocity and with single hole accuracy at the 45 yard zero range. It is doing around 67 ft lbs and I
get around 50 to 60 shots, not counted exactly. What is surprising is that when hitting magpies at 50 yards they still fly sometimes 100 yards before dropping if the shots are a bit low or hop way across a field with a side chest shot. It seems that it punches holes right through without enough expansion in the pellet to transfer the energy. Cant wait for the new developments of softer hollow point slugs from JSB and others.

pj1

Thanks for that Steve. I have one in .22 fac. Have found very similar to you by the sounds of it. Magpies fly off when chest shot. Feral pigeons on the other hand hit square in the chest will just fold up at sixty yards. I will be interested to see how you get on with the slug liner and pellets / slugs. I think for long range they will be incredible.
I’ve tried things like the H&N rabbit magnum through mine which is more slug like they don’t feed reliably from the mag and aren’t that accurate and once you’ve seen how accurate the crown can be anything else seems a little naff.
I’m hoping to try some jsb hades pellets which I think will be better on soft bodies like birds and also think the thin skirt of the jsb pellets suits the smooth twist barrels more.
Let us know how you get on
Cheers Pete

Steve123

Hi Pete, it is surprising how hard birds can be hit and fly off, albeit not far and they will not last long. Rabbits though I have head chest and neck shot them up to 75 yards and they go down quite quickly. I am hoping that JSB come up with a good hollow point slug which is soft material and will expand well. I think they are working on it.

pj1

I believe there are kits available for casting your own. Not sure how efficient it would be though as I quite often use mine for ratting and it’s not unusual to get through 100 pellets in an evening. I do though wind the power down and the heavy domed pellets do a good job so could reserve the hand made slugs for hunting rather than pest control.

Steve123

One point I think I should mention, is that when fitting the slug liner barrel it was too tight to fit. I tried about 4 times to make it locate into t
position but it wouldn't go in even with light taps with a rubber mallet. So not wanting to damage anything I took it out , and retried the original barrel, that went into place easy as pie. I tried measuring the diameter of the barrel on the location end of both and could not really mesure a meaningful difference. In the end I put the barrel in a cordless drill and spun it up whilst holding fine wet and dry paper on the end and after a few minutes of this I cleaned it off and polished the end and it fitted no problem. I have found it shoots the 33.95g JSB pellets at least as good and maybe better than with the standard barrel.

Colonel

I still have somewhere a mould that casts spliter pointed solid 22 slugs that I used for a while in a BSA airsporter. Fiddly to cast but knocked rabbits sideways.

Mr. Gain

Thanks for the review. When I last looked Krale were doing NSA slugs, so it may be worth checking their site again.
Re. The JSB Hades pellets, my shooting buddy is using them in his FAC Impact and says they make bigger holes and more instant kills than the FX round-nosed diabolos he was using previously, and show equally excellent accuracy.
As for FX availability in the UK, ASI seem well off the pace of their international counterparts, but I do wonder if this isn't strategic, since the first few batches of a new FX product have something of a reputation for glitchiness... Your oversized slug barrel being a possible example... and it may suit ASI to have fewer returns and warranty claims to deal with even at the cost of reduced early sales.

Steve123

Thanks for that I will look at Krale for the slugs, the delivery from Nielson direct is prohibitive.

Steve123

Thanks for that I will look at Krale for the slugs, the delivery from Nielson direct is prohibitive.
Just checked out Krale, you are correct they do have Nielson slugs but the delivery cost is still too expensive as it would mean 100 slugs is circa £40. The JSB Hades seem only in .22 but .25.

Squirrelbasher

An interesting review Steve, I’m interested in the fac crown and might get one myself. If I do, it will be deciding on calibre, .22 or .25?

pj1

I tried the hades pellets through mine this week. Glad to say they work very well. Fifty yards zero and at full power (30 ftlbs) its grouping five pellets all touching. Wind it down to about 18 ft lbs at its half a mill dot low at 35 yards and at 12 ft lbs it’s same zero at 25yards as the original. All very workable and useful when changing between long range rabbits and corvids, ferals in barns and rats. At 18 ft lbs with the hades pellets any feral beyond 25 yards drops like a stone. Close range ones gets over penetration but drop very quickly indeed. Certainly more impact than the jsb heavy domed type.
I went 22 rather than 25 purely for pellet choice and flatter trajectory. Which comes into its own when using night vision on rats.

Steve123

Hi Squirrelbasher, regarding the caliber question , with the Crown both .22 and .25 will shoot pellets at around the same velocity, the bc's of them seem if anything slightly better in .25 and with a 50% bigger surface area and increased weight of projectile I think the .25 as a hunting gun seems the best option. They also both have the same shot count and magazine capacity.

I think if I was buying again I would go with the Impact as it is shorter and easier to manoeuvre , but both are good .