Gains from dsc2

Not wanting to derail another thread I've decided to start a new one. Who on here who has dsc2 have found that by holding that little piece of paper found doors opening? I've seen a couple of people say it but curious to how many. Also, by doors opening is that new land to shoot on? Land that you couldn't previously shoot on for various reasons? Or met link minded people and take/help eachother out?

cookingfat

yes it is a good question,
it can be a bit catch 22, if you dont have stalking then it may help you gain some, a lot of land owners now like to see that the people they are potentially going to let out on there land have the relevant qualifications and insurance, yes the cost of getting through DSC level one and two can be expensive Particularly if you don't have somewhere to stalk, its a bit easier if you have access to stalking as there are many AW,s who will take you out just for the fuel costs.

Wingy

For me it was an achievement to gain DSC2, as for "opening doors" not really. I have a spot on a syndicate that I'm happy with (DSC2) not a requirement & a bit of permission here & there (no qualifications required).
I've been offered other syndicate places which I haven't taken up partly due to lack of time & costs but I've been offered those spots because of who I know and not because I've gone looking waving my qualifications around
Wingy

Monkey Spanker

I run a couple of large deer management groups. A prerequisite is that all members must hold DSC Level 2. In all cases, this is driven by the management of these areas and not by myself, although I fully support this concept.
I do take on trainees, but they must have DSC 1 as a minimum and then remain supervised and accompanied until such time as they achieve DSC 2.
These areas were previously managed by people that didn't hold such qualifications and lost out because they weren't prepared to accept the new policies which were undoubtedly driven by risk assessment and insurance.
If you snooze - you lose!
MS

I would like to add that I'm not all-bad and took on several of the previous stalkers, trained them as required and put them through their DSC 2. Some have completed and some are still going through the process. I think they have all realised the benefits.
MS

Last edited:

Hunter 53

We wouldn't have our lease for stalking without the lease holder having DSC2 the rest of the syndicate need to have level 1.
i have never tried opening doors with my level 2 but it has come in useful at times.

Essex stalker

I completed my DSC2 because I saw it as a personal challenge and something to aim for, I am now a member of a syndicate who prefer members to have a DSC2 but will take DSC1 holders if they can show the relevant experience as well
All members must hold appropriate insurance
I also completed the deer management qualification, not because I had to but because I saw it as a way of increasing my knowledge

Willie

Stalkers are not allowed on Forestry Commission land without DSC level 2 (or working towards it) therefore without it I wouldn’t have any stalking.

jcampbellsmith

I completed my DSC2 because I saw it as a personal challenge and something to aim for, I am now a member of a syndicate who prefer members to have a DSC2 but will take DSC1 holders if they can show the relevant experience as well
All members must hold appropriate insurance
I also completed the deer management qualification, not because I had to but because I saw it as a way of increasing my knowledge
My experience is very similar. Around 2000 my Dad told me to join the BDS and do my DSC 1. Shortly afterwards I did my DSC 2 and recently I attended the Deer Management course. My Dad did his DSC 1/2 nearly 60 years after he started stalking. At the age of 92 his stalking days are done, but he recognised that there's always more to learn about deer. In his later years he went out to look at the stags virtually every day and when he indoors as often as not, he would be reading about deer.

There are many good aspects to stalking, but the key attraction to me is there is always more to learn whether by formal training or just meeting other stalkers and seeing their ground and deer.

Merry Christmas.

JCS

CarlW

I think all of us, no matter how experienced, can benefit from being observed by and receiving feedback from another stalker from time to time. We all get into bad habits, get stuck in a rut, or just plain forget things. DSC2 is one of the few opportunities that we will have in our stalking and hunting careers to submit ourselves to the critical eye of our peers.

It Certainly opened doors for me.. I was invited to be a contractor on a deer management team for the national trust the last three seasons I’ve earned a bloody good wage from culling deer.
Something I definitely couldn’t have done without that little pice of paper no matter how much experience I had.

Also it allowed me to become a AW which in turn has allowed me to meet some cracking like minded people..

Last edited:

Old-YOP

tikka-madras on the other thread had this really well-considered query:

"Just out of interest, what public body or large organisation in their right mind would take on a lease over a large area of land used by the public and take payments from complete strangers to wander about with high-velocity rifles unsupervised shooting things they like the look of, without any form of verification that the people involved have any experience or competence with firearms? Which insurer in their right mind would agree to provide cover?"

Now, whether or not you consider that a requirement for paper qualifications is unnecessary for someone of your experience, or that it's an erosion of the future of our sport/living, or that it's some large organisation money-grubbing, or simply that it's a conspiracy theory, T-M's question is well worth your consideration.

tom reveley

I have had my level 2 for years not really tried to open doors with it did it for my own personal achievement. I wanted to do it level 1 should be the minimum anyone shooting deer should have . most people will learn quiet a lot from level 1.at the moment I think there are more and more people that just want to be in stalking to try and make a few quid.

Kjf

I did it for my own benefit (not to open doors) but I've been interviewed for 2 syndicates over the last year, along with other blokes going thru the interveiws

I got offered both and took one, when I asked the lease holder why they chose me, they said the other lads only had DSC1

Take from that what you will????( it could have been my outstanding personality lol)

The last syndicate i was in only required DSC1

Ben, if you want to do it ,get it done lad, it can do you no harm, that is if you have the funds and time to do it

atb

KJF

N1mr0d

Thank goodness for DSC 1 and 2 and best practice days. If you do not happen to have grown up with stalking relatives, on a farm or are the son or daughter of a gamekeeper how else are you going to learn the basics initially? Managing the deer on my small permission has enriched my life as well as putting venison that I can be proud of into the freezer. Learning from those with the decades of experience has been invaluable. As for getting permission- not directly but as I am doing a reasonable job and have the bits of paper my landowner is more than happy.

Chasey

Round here all FC land is minimum DSC2 but its hardly a landslide of offers once qualified. I used to shoot a bit of land and the land management changed solicitors and the new ones said no DSC2 no shooting and they most likely wanted First Aid & Forestry as well.

DSC2 isn't a training course its an assessment of you'r skill set & knowledge as a stalker.

My only complaint is if you think you already have the skill set and knowledge you should be able to do DSC2 without DSC1.

That said when I did DSC1 one fella didnt do the course but just sat the exam, so I am assuming that's a possibility at a smaller cost.

If you have a bit of land or are in an group in the in crowd I am sure it doesn't need to register for you, but if you seeking new stuff and new groups It helps. I run a syndicate and Id prefer all DSC2 stalkers but have a minimum of DSC1 for all but a couple of trainees. Put it this way if two stalkers apply for the position in my syndicate and one has DSC2 the other doesn't, Ill go for the DSC2 fella/girl

With my previous hobby of Scuba diving there seemed to be a certificate for the most daft things. I have a pack of cards for everything from shallow diving deep diving with 02 diving on mixed gas diving CCR diving in caves. Some of the courses like CCR cave cost well over £1000 I must have spent a several thousand on courses over the years, so in comparison deer stalking is very cheep

I did it for my own benefit (not to open doors) but I've been interviewed for 2 syndicates over the last year, along with other blokes going thru the interveiws

I got offered both and took one, when I asked the lease holder why they chose me, they said the other lads only had DSC1

Take from that what you will????( it could have been my outstanding personality lol)

The last syndicate i was in only required DSC1

Ben, if you want to do it ,get it done lad, it can do you no harm, that is if you have the funds and time to do it

atb

KJF
Yes, your outstanding personality :lol: I will be getting it done in the new year, will take a while to do the stalks but it will be worth it when it's done . That roe steak was banging aswell by the way thanks for that

Kjf

Yes, your outstanding personality :lol: I will be getting it done in the new year, will take a while to do the stalks but it will be worth it when it's done . That roe steak was banging aswell by the way thanks for that
No problem, glad you enjoyed it,

register and you have 3 years to get it sorted,

good luck and keep me informed of your progress

you need out just give me a shout

kjf

rodp

I run a couple of large deer management groups. A prerequisite is that all members must hold DSC Level 2. In all cases, this is driven by the management of these areas and not by myself, although I fully support this concept.
I do take on trainees, but they must have DSC 1 as a minimum and then remain supervised and accompanied until such time as they achieve DSC 2.
These areas were previously managed by people that didn't hold such qualifications and lost out because they weren't prepared to accept the new policies which were undoubtedly driven by risk assessment and insurance.
If you snooze - you lose!
MS

I would like to add that I'm not all-bad and took on several of the previous stalkers, trained them as required and put them through their DSC 2. Some have completed and some are still going through the process. I think they have all realised the benefits.
MS
So, completely out of the blue "These areas were previously managed by people that didn't hold such qualifications" just decided to change the rules? Although managed quite competently previously, and without any prompting from outside sources, they suddenly decide "nah, can't have this, we'll get rid of these blokes who've been here ages and get someone in with DSC2". An odd decision for a privately owned shoot I would have thought, to just disrupt an established and smooth running concern for the sake of a bit of paper?

Once DSC2 becomes the norm for some, and uptake tails off I wonder how long before DSC3 becomes a requirement? :rolleyes:
S