Gains from dsc2

hoodwink

I am going through the DSC2 process at the moment, one of the big problems for me is the One file system. I’m not computer literate as far as anything other than i am doing now. One file crashes it doesn’t work straight away with iPads or macs, i needed to down load something else to make it work. It randomly corrupts files so they are unreadable, it loses information posted on it as a friend has testified doing a completely different qualification.
For a while every other evening it had crashed so you could do nothing.
I think most qualifications you get allocated a tutor, which could run you through what is required and how to use the program. DSC2 does not provide this. How i wish i could go back to a manual and pen and paper..
I hope that it shows that stalkers have reach a certain competency. It’s then up to them if they apply that knowledge. I know if i were a land owner/manager i would ask for it. Due diligence, if something were to happen.

lambic

Recently submitted portfolio. Entirely by email. Zero use of the website by any of the parties...so far

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Milligan

Recently submitted portfolio. Entirely by email. Zero use of the website by any of the parties...so far

+1

I am going through the DSC2 process at the moment, one of the big problems for me is the One file system. I’m not computer literate as far as anything other than i am doing now. One file crashes it doesn’t work straight away with iPads or macs, i needed to down load something else to make it work. It randomly corrupts files so they are unreadable, it loses information posted on it as a friend has testified doing a completely different qualification.
For a while every other evening it had crashed so you could do nothing.
I think most qualifications you get allocated a tutor, which could run you through what is required and how to use the program. DSC2 does not provide this. How i wish i could go back to a manual and pen and paper..
I hope that it shows that stalkers have reach a certain competency. It’s then up to them if they apply that knowledge. I know if i were a land owner/manager i would ask for it. Due diligence, if something were to happen.
:(
Talk to your assessor, they should do more to help you with what is clearly a busted system...

Monkey Spanker

+1

:(
Talk to your assessor, they should do more to help you with what is clearly a busted system...
The system is not 'busted' as such, it just isn't compatible for all electronic means which let's face it change on almost a daily basis.
Only the candidate and the Assessor have access to the onefile site anyway. All you need to do is email your evidence to the assessor in something like 'word' document format. The system was designed using Adobe software. ICR's and candidate narratives have editable PDF's which are not difficult to use. The main problem is, that the system assumes a certain level of computer literacy, which unfortunately not all deer stalkers have!
The AW can only witness you stalks. Talk to your assessor for guidance on your portfolio.
MS

jimbo1984

So, completely out of the blue "These areas were previously managed by people that didn't hold such qualifications" just decided to change the rules? Although managed quite competently previously, and without any prompting from outside sources, they suddenly decide "nah, can't have this, we'll get rid of these blokes who've been here ages and get someone in with DSC2". An odd decision for a privately owned shoot I would have thought, to just disrupt an established and smooth running concern for the sake of a bit of paper?

Once DSC2 becomes the norm for some, and uptake tails off I wonder how long before DSC3 becomes a requirement? :rolleyes:
S
Ah how very true , what many many people can't see / choose to ignore is that this industry is self perpetuating and it's in the interest of AWs and so called deer managers to pedal these " qualifications " as let's face it that's how they make their living , I took dsc 1 some years ago after I'd already been stalking for quite a while as I was interested in some FC land , it was ok but to be honest I'd have been better spending the money on highseats and stalking gear it's made zero difference to getting ground / stalking , in the meantime I was offered my own little bit of ground which has slowly grown so that now I look after 10,000 acres (7000 on my own , 3000 with another stalker to help him out ) generally stalking about 2-3 days a week the landowners and keepers I work with aren't impressed by bits of paper rather by results and reputation , so to anyone starting out I'd advise them to question why so many " deer managers " are screaming at them that they Need these bits of paper to get stalking you really dont get out and get some real world experience

Last edited:

Milligan

The system is not 'busted' as such, it just isn't compatible for all electronic means which let's face it change on almost a daily basis.
Only the candidate and the Assessor have access to the onefile site anyway. All you need to do is email your evidence to the assessor in something like 'word' document format. The system was designed using Adobe software. ICR's and candidate narratives have editable PDF's which are not difficult to use. The main problem is, that the system assumes a certain level of computer literacy, which unfortunately not all deer stalkers have!
The AW can only witness you stalks. Talk to your assessor for guidance on your portfolio.
MS
The system is overly complex for what the actual work flow and requirement is hence the work around of mailing the assessor with everything.

The aw should be able to upload using the candidate number, their number and a registered email address. The forms can be amended to avoid using sensitive pii.

The pdf templates get bloated very quickly with a 2 page doc going to 7mb if you edit and save a few times.

Any online system where the presentation layer is not adaptive in this day and age is not going to be fit for purpose as the balance of pc to mobile traffic has shifted. Not everyone has a pc with ie on it.

Just my opinion though...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

banus

this new system discriminates against non computer literate /older dsc1 holders.as my 12 year old computer does not allow me to send emails and i am not in a position to buy new and if i could, i could not use the new one correctly.this is a very unsatisfactory as i would like to do the dsc2 ,i dont need to but would like to.i would like to be given a chance at least

Essex stalker

There's a write up in this weeks shooting times on whether hunters should have to pass a test before being allowed to go hunting. Similar to what they have in parts of Europe

lambic

From my experience of the Onefile , it is generic site that is designed to cover a large range of disciplines, from hairdressers to stalkers. It is what it is....not very relevant to us and probably cost a fortune. Speak to your assessor to find a neat way to bypass it.

Regarding emails, logging into Gmail is exactly the same process as logging onto SD......

Cris

Well my experiance having succumbed and achieved 1 and 2 is that it has not so far got me anything but who knows what the future holds. With my other qualifications it does give me some crediility and I would hope anyone having stalked with me would think me worthy from a practical point of view.

Mungo

this new system discriminates against non computer literate /older dsc1 holders.as my 12 year old computer does not allow me to send emails and i am not in a position to buy new and if i could, i could not use the new one correctly.this is a very unsatisfactory as i would like to do the dsc2 ,i dont need to but would like to.i would like to be given a chance at least
If you can post on here, you can send an email. Get a gmail account, and whatever device you’re using to post here will be able to send an email, with any attachments.

Really??? You're a prolific forum so I find this quite hard to grasp. If you can a) get yourself online and b) successfully navigate around SD to have made nearly 1,000 posts then you will be more than capable of using the DSC site.

Chasey

If you cant afford a computer capable of simply sending emails you sure as hell cant afford to go deer stalking

That said I got my first PC in 1992 (And IBM 286 running Dos3) and I have never owned one that couldn't send an email?
I was on AOL (with the Email address I still use today) back in 1995

Email existed in the 80s but it was pretty pointless till the 90s

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
There's no one who is more of a dinosaur than me when it comes to IT. However as an AW I have over the past few weeks had several candidates with the new Portfolio that is required to be sent electronically.
I will admit I had a few teething problems with sending some of the ICR's through to the assessor, but this has been ironed out. I can sympathise with some of the older generation such as myself when it comes to working with computers, its not everyone's cup of tea. But we have to move on and that's the way of the world, whether you like it or not.

In some respects it makes it easier for an AW, but it can be a pain, it is certainly quicker than a paper portfolio, and the onus is a little more swayed towards the assessor now. Not too sure I am in favour of that myself.

If you are having problems sending the paperwork through, try using a friends machine to do it on, or talk to your assessor or DMQ. Either way I wish you luck with your stalking.

Last week was the culmination of some hard work to secure a really nice permission with a lot of roe on . I was up against 4 other stalkers and the first thing I was asked for was do I hold my dsc 1 and dsc2 , so I can only speak for myself and it has helped me secure 2 permissions now

lambic

Turns out you do have to use the Onefile webpage at the very end. You need to read a few PDFs and click a few boxes before your Assessor sends it to the IV.

Fairly painless.