Game fair

VSS

Mouse and I are intending to visit the game fair at Ragley Hall on Friday. Plan was to travel down Thursday and camp overnight, until I discovered that the cheapest camping option on site is £125 :eek: :eek: :eek:
Does anyone know of a more affordable camping location in the area for a one night stay?

tozzybum

Tim have a look on Ukcampsite.co.uk ,its not too far from Stratford on Avon so plenty of sites around there to choose from atb darn beat me too it

Ray7756

Mouse and I are intending to visit the game fair at Ragley Hall on Friday. Plan was to travel down Thursday and camp overnight, until I discovered that the cheapest camping option on site is £125 :eek: :eek: :eek:
Does anyone know of a more affordable camping location in the area for a one night stay?
I would expect a hotel with breakfast for that money ,game fair organisers are seriously taking the urine
Cheers
Ray

deerpath

It's the same price for 4 nights. Depending on your tent size you could share my pitch. PM me if interested.

VSS

It's the same price for 4 nights. Depending on your tent size you could share my pitch. PM me if interested.

Thanks. Just one small tent. I'll drop you a message.
I think that the price quoted is for up to 3 nights, which appears to be the minimum booking. Bit of a **** take really, as they could theoretically sell the same pitch to three different people, and take £125 off each of them!

User00025

This new type Game Fair is a rip off. The average person, particularly if employed in a Rural occupation is not going to attend.
At that price it's a No,No for me, and quite a few of my associates.

VSS

This new type Game Fair is a rip off. The average person, particularly if employed in a Rural occupation is not going to attend.

To be fair, if you're a BASC member you get complimentary entry to all days of the fair. However, with the camping fees so high it does feel a bit like what they give with the right hand they take back with the left.

slider

I agree it is expensive and out of the reach of many but a "rip off" would be someone unfairly profiteering.

Unfortunately the prices are dictated by the cost of running these events. Gone are the days of masses of volunteers and a pit and bit of canvas for a loo.

Marquee hire, port a loo hire, security personal, car parking staff and stewards to pay, venues with hard paths that need to be paid off, policing, security fencing round the whole place, hire of machines to erect and dismantle the whole thing, entertainment to pay and on and on and on.

Try going to a football match, or music concert for the same price - nd you get more that 90 minutes entertainment.

reloader54

handy place to buy double glazing, look at overpriced garden machinery, or buy a knock off wax jacket from the same source as you can get on Snetterton market for a 5th of the price.

and then sit in a queue for 3 hours waiting to get out of the place. not for me.

bluesako

me to, not been a game fair for over 15 years,total kack, why call it a game fair, it should be called fair game on all the rip offs , and them signs the put up, game fair special,s , your having a laugh.

enfieldspares

Handy place to buy double glazing, look at overpriced garden machinery, or buy a knock off wax jacket from the same source as you can get on Snetterton market for a 5th of the price.

Oh! What? No woodland crafting and Chinese knock-off cammo gear this year? Oh well. There's always Weston Park then...

enfieldspares

Unfortunately the prices are dictated by the cost of running these events. Gone are the days of masses of volunteers and a pit and bit of canvas for a loo.

And all because those that think they know how to run these things think that if there's no stately home in the background that people won't come. I wrote a published letter to Shooting Times about it when Belvoir Castle was rained off some years ago.

That there's nothing that a GOOD such show needs in terms of a venue that can't be provided on a permanent site has been shown by the success of the British Shooting Show. No stately home but clean indoor lavatories, hard tarmac roads, good mobile reception and inside exhibition halls that don't involve trudging through mud.

This is 2018. The folks that run these various re-runs of so called "game fairs" still think it is 1948! Well folks it ain't!

paul o'

100 % +1 Over price tents selling over priced tat ? game fairs used to about getting a fair deal ?? and not paying shop prices and sometmes more like £5 for a bit of pig in a bun WTF its not for me anymore no Sir not i . :old:

I will leave the day for the pink and black spotted welly clan and silly dogs in hand bags to strut there stuff ??

QUOTE=reloader54;1406208]handy place to buy double glazing, look at overpriced garden machinery, or buy a knock off wax jacket from the same source as you can get on Snetterton market for a 5th of the price.

and then sit in a queue for 3 hours waiting to get out of the place. not for me.[/QUOTE]

Kalahari

In many ways I agree with you but what do places like Stoneleigh charge? Would it be any cheaper? And these stately homes might make it easier to set up the shooting events.

And all because those that think they know how to run these things think that if there's no stately home in the background that people won't come. I wrote a published letter to Shooting Times about it when Belvoir Castle was rained off some years ago.

That there's nothing that a GOOD such show needs in terms of a venue that can't be provided on a permanent site has been shown by the success of the British Shooting Show. No stately home but clean indoor lavatories, hard tarmac roads, good mobile reception and inside exhibition halls that don't involve trudging through mud.

This is 2018. The folks that run these various re-runs of so called "game fairs" still think it is 1948! Well folks it ain't!

David.

slider

And all because those that think they know how to run these things think that if there's no stately home in the background that people won't come.

Absolute nonsense, the costs are unrelated to the background. It's just a fact of life that these stately homes have the land available at a scale that these events require. Any landowner needs a rent to cover not just the show day, but the weeks of set up beforehand and time to dismantle, the cost of ground repair on a wet year, the massive additional public liability insurance they need to provide (the land owner and the organisers both have liability), the fact that public health legislation mean the field must be clear of livestock for at least 3 weeks before the event etc etc.

I am involved in running a local agricultural show, in a field, in the countryside and know what it costs to run that, much smaller event but still get pelters from the public for charging a "rip-off" £12 entry (we haven't made a penny for the last 3 years)

enfieldspares

Any landowner needs a rent to cover not just the show day, but the weeks of set up beforehand and time to dismantle, the cost of ground repair on a wet year, the massive additional public liability insurance they need to provide (the land owner and the organisers both have liability), the fact that public health legislation mean the field must be clear of livestock for at least 3 weeks before the event etc etc.

Slider I can't agree with you. Pretty much ALL...Setting up beforehand....dismantling...cost of ground repair on wet year...additional public liability...clear of livestock...NEITHER Stoneleigh nor the NEC as they are permanent venues so with hard roads and appropriate existing drainage need to consider these.

And regard setting up or dismantling stands in permanent dedicated exhibition halls. As per Stoneleigh or the NEC or Olympia and Etc.. I've exhibited at these things in the past. You are allocated a 12' x 12' space..and YOU set it up how you want and YOU dismantle it down afterwards. No staff from the venue assist you. So there's no cost to them and YOU as the exhibitor must have public liability insurance for anyone in the your 12' x 12' space that has to be evidenced before hand to the organisers. So you cover that...they don't.

I think the stately home venue is also a mistake as unless it has regardless of any special events a normal huge footfall the traffic during its "open" season infrastructure is usually rubbish thus the huge queues as neither the roads access nor the experience of the venue owners are adequate for the supposed four day event's traffic plan.

The NEC copes easily with The BBC Food Show, the Motor Show and all of these events without traffic issues as the venue was set up from the start to do that. It's not a perfect venue but I'd sooner that than stuck in an inadequate B-Road taking forty minutes to move eighty yards to turn a sharp ninety-degree left turn (thus the cause of the delay) into a farm gate and park in a field as at Blenheim Palace.

Last edited:

VSS

Slider I can't agree with you. Pretty much ALL...Setting up beforehand....dismantling...cost of ground repair on wet year...additional public liability...clear of livestock...NEITHER Stoneleigh nor the NEC as they are permanent venues so with hard roads and appropriate existing drainage need to consider these.

And regard setting up or dismantling stands in permanent dedicated exhibition halls. As per Stoneleigh or the NEC or Olympia and Etc.. I've exhibited at these things in the past. You are allocated a 12' x 12' space..and YOU set it up how you want and YOU dismantle it down afterwards. No staff from the venue assist you. So there's no cost to them and YOU as the exhibitor must have public liability insurance for anyone in the your 12' x 12' space that has to be evidenced before hand to the organisers. So you cover that...they don't.

I think the stately home venue is also a mistake as unless it has regardless of any special events a normal huge footfall the traffic during its "open" season infrastructure is usually rubbish thus the huge queues as neither the roads access nor the experience of the venue owners are adequate for the supposed four day event's traffic plan.

The NEC copes easily with The BBC Food Show, the Motor Show and all of these events without traffic issues as the venue was set up from the start to do that. It's not a perfect venue but I'd sooner that than stuck in an inadequate B-Road taking forty minutes to move eighty yards to turn into a far gate and park in a field as at Blenheim Palace.

With all due respect, you're wrong. I'm involved in the organisation of a major event, that takes place on a permanent showground, and I can assure you that the costs associated with setting everything up and taking it down again are considerable, not to mention the costs associated with everything else required to keep the event running. However, in the case of the game fair, my issue was with the camping fees. It seems counter intuitive to me for the event organisers to set this so high, as they ought to be making it as desirable as possible for people to stay over. The longer people stay, the more they'll spend at the trade stands and catering outlets. Without the traders there wouldn't be much of an event, but unless they do plenty of business they won't bother booking a stand another year.