Game fair.

philip

Rolled into the Game fair 08:00 yesterday, parked 200 yds from the entrance - so no route march, that’s a good start, most welcome the BASC free entry card, saved a bit of the hard earned, straight into Thomas jacks Night tunnel and roof top then continued looking at all the best English guns I couldn’t afford, found it a bit light on the stalking side, some decent larder and meat prep gear,but loads of foxing gear, overall a cracking day out, had a bit of rain but I preferred that to the relentless sun with been having, left at last knockings and got around all the bits I wanted to do, BASC put on a good show flying the flag. :british:

Up in the main food area there is some seriously delicious hand cooked on the spot food available £6.00 in generous portions + large glass of lemonade £2.00

Overall the facilities were good as was the actual fair, I did manage to buy one or two bits ( seeing as I saved £34.00) it would be wrong not to :rofl:
Thoroughly enjoyed the whole day met up with some old friends and made new ones as well - pretty good day out well worth going

Last edited:

philip

£34??? Sorry but that's way to much, I had planned to go but I won't be going now....

( someone correct me if I’m wrong) I’m pretty sure that’s what it was, cheaper better to join the BASC as a family card if they do one :rolleyes: at least you’re get something back. - it was well attended

If I’m honest - if you take the family and have to pay it would be a big layout, certainly take the shine off of going

DeLaRue1953

Hi...I checked on the website before posting & you're right it was £34 per adult, £68 for me & my wife....add the cost of fuel etc & it's way too much for me & not worth it imho.....

paul o'

Glad you enjoyed your day ,i wont ever go to another they are dross imo. Full of crap with more and more none field sporting goods none farming goods and services
Rip off gate charges to look at beanbags and garden wiggling things ? Last time the gunmakers row was around 10 tents lasted 20mins inc going to the lav .its not a trade show of yesteryear with deals to be found its full over overprice goods that you can get posted inc pp for less !

ruger54

Have not been since the demise of the CLA running it so thought I would go yesterday and take the grandson for a look round we had a go on the BASC simulator for a chance to shoot Boar in Germany sorry to say that the grandson beat me at that but he was beaten by his girlfriend on the bow shooting so the hat he won on the simulator he had to hand over to her BASC had several stands handing out game samples and crisp's they put on a good show but overall I was disappointed it will be a few more years until I attend again

bluesako

ive gone to game fairs for over 40 years they were great they were for the sportsmen last one i went to was w park 14 years ago it was crap very little in shooting and fishing tons of tat like scented candles cushions and other shite no i wont go to another one i always go shooting when there,s a show on bs

bluesako

Glad you enjoyed your day ,i wont ever go to another they are dross imo. Full of crap with more and more none field sporting goods none farming goods and services
Rip off gate charges to look at beanbags and garden wiggling things ? Last time the gunmakers row was around 10 tents lasted 20mins inc going to the lav .its not a trade show of yesteryear with deals to be found its full over overprice goods that you can get posted inc pp for less !
spot on paul o

foxerklw

I stopped making the effort for these kind of fairs when I heard a vendor complaining it was the same old faces at each show spending nothing lol

cjm1066

I have been attending since the 1970s, the new management alas aren't taking the event forward as much as I hoped. Nethertheless, we enjoyed the visit.

Sad to see some stands so close to clay line that ear muffs were required, terrier racing was politically correct, they ran after a shredded carrier bag, a rabbit skin would have motivated the dogs more.

nic531

Sorry but the internet killed off the bargains that used to be had at the game fair... as long as you think of it as a days entertainment watching the demos and having the oppurtunity to try some kit on and possibly spend a few quid then its fine.... if you expect the bargains of yesteryear then you will be disappointed

DeerSussex

Back from the game fair today. A good day had by all the family. I bought a few bits & enjoyed looking at some shotguns I'll never be able to afford! As good as it was I most probably won't bother next year due to the ticket costs for the family. There are better value family days out there

markyw

I have not been to many Game Fairs. We went yesterday. It was a good day out, despite the on / off drizzle, but expensive as not a BASC member. Cost £72 for me, the wife, #1 daughter and a show guide. I was surprised at the amount of fine art and antique dealers present and the McLaren and Aston stand at the entrance should have warned me of the tone of the day. :)

Much to look at and some of the cooking and alcohol demos were good to partake in, but I agree with the comment above that the Internet has killed many of the bargains to be had. Did stop for a drink at one stage and £7 each for a pint and a single G&T didn’t quite spoil the taste. The daughter got to try archery and slingshot shooting and she was quite good at both. The wife asked me as we were leaving that if this was just a large shopping mall in a field, why did we have to pay so much to get in. Good point that I had no reply to.

Regatrds

Mark