Game keeping

Leica Amplus 6

landkeeper

Or stay on in a house on the estate as per our local setup .Some very bitter folk on here doing no one any favours with the doom and gloom .
Not all employers live in Dickensian times .
No not all employers are dickension but how many full time keepers are employed by one employer/estate for their entire working life ?.A very high percentage are syndicate employees and one bad season or change of syndicate ,land use or a myriad of other reasons means looking for yet another job .Full time keepering means a lot of the time family life suffers ,especially if single handed. Yes with the right employer things can go brilliantly Or as one old retired keeper i knew, after years on the same place& being assured of a place to live out his days due to an employers death and some bad luck ended up in a council flat in a terrible area , no dogs no guns and setting gin traps on his window sills to try to keep the scumbags away that kept breaking into his flat !
Its a fantastic way of life for a young person who loves to be outside with wildlife and the countryside . But you need a backup plan for later in life ,get a mortgage buy a house rent it out till you need it !.

The Beater

The only one who can ultimately decide is the lad himself. I've met keepers who lived in mobile homes and others who lived in nice houses probably worth several hundred thousand pounds. I hope he enjoys his course and finds a decent job at the end of it....there are some out there.

Last edited:

Alex L

Sparsholt has a longer and more well regarded history of running the course which ever awarding body they use now I have no clue. The biggest issue is that small course have suffered as the rural colleges chase cash with money lead business models, rather than running as education and skills for the rural needs as it use to be. Its going to be hard to gauge but I would reach out to the NGO and their ideas of the course. That said at 16, he will learn a lot about a subject he clearly has a passion for, I did a similar two year BETC course at Newton Rig back in the mid 90's when I was 18, skills learnt there have stood me in good stead. The hunting ban brought the keeping job market to stand still and I went side ways in to Foresty and Arboriculture and made a career, I have always done bits off keeping stalking over the years and now a keeper a small shoot right on my door step. Not many people really know what they want to do with their lives... at 16 I new a wanted to be out side away from desk. If he has got the skills a drive he will do well, if the course still covers rearing, he will build huts, pen sections, put up fences, do plumbing, sort gas heaters out, paint, repair walls, learn to use an ATV, tractor, Chainsaw, Brush cutter, lay hedges, plant trees & hedges, learn about cover crops and cultivation soils.... plenty of life skills there that translate in to all sorts.. If the college is a bit slow to help with placements ask the NGO for help.

PMA

To make it clear only in England do you need to stay in Education until you're 18. This doesn't mean Full Time Education. One day a week in term time will cover it as will Apprenticeships etc.
Be under no illusion that trades are highly sort after. Spoke to a friend in the trialling world who runs a few building sites in Suffolk. He said that he could employ 50 more tradesmen tomorrow if he could get hold of them. Sadly they're just not there. That can only mean that the money for those qualified will go up. £60K and more P/A is very possible.
However, I'm sure the lad has made up his mind and you can't tell kids of that age much as they know it all already. I know! I would have loved to have been in the countryside line of work as a permanent job but also like money.
I certainly don’t think a “trade” is the job to go for !
I am a self employed sparky, have been most of my working life and I can say I have never got near £60k even working 7 days a week ! And the job is getting harder paper work is getting more and more ,
And the stress trying to get people to pay for the work you have done is a nightmare at times !!

baguio

I am a self employed sparky, have been most of my working life and I can say I have never got near £60k even working 7 days a week ! And the job is getting harder paper work is getting more and more ,
And the stress trying to get people to pay for the work you have done is a nightmare at times !!
Just because you haven't got near £60k doesn't mean that it's not possible. There are plumbers earning £100K and more in this country. Work on a big site and there's no chasing people to pay either. One swallow doesn't make a Summer. Few will argue is that there are more trades earning £60K than there are Keepers. Also, how many trades struggle to find work?

Tim.243

All the trades I have under my belt give me a variety of work, which for me is what like...
The farmers get a quick response which is returned in a bank transfer as soon as I drop the invoice off...
Same with mobile welding repairs or a turning/milling job in the workshop...

My previous point way back in this thread is that I had no problem setting snares making a pen shooting foxes organizing the cover strips going in, feeding water dogging back,setting out the guns and beaters bt
Pound to a penny if you asked most "keepers" to cut out the bottom of a ditching bucket and burn the new bit back in they would be stuck..
There will be exceptions but those will have learnt a trade will just tag on the keepering job as one more string to the bow...

I will wager most of the "guides" have a trade.... :tiphat:

uptonogood

Just because you haven't got near £60k doesn't mean that it's not possible. There are plumbers earning £100K and more in this country. Work on a big site and there's no chasing people to pay either. One swallow doesn't make a Summer. Few will argue is that there are more trades earning £60K than there are Keepers. Also, how many trades struggle to find work?
You should set up a consultancy firm baggy .

baguio

If you say so
I do with some authority. Had two plumbers (contractors) round today fitting my new boiler. I won't upset you by telling you their salary. Maybe you should speak to British Gas and get a contract with them?
Regardless, I will be surprised if you don't earn far more than the average keeper and for far fewer hours too!

CDSG Shooting Sports