Gas Checks For A 45/70 Black Rifle.

acj375

Hi im looking for a few gas checks for a 45/70 .Any small No 25 to 100 ,happy to pay .
Dont want to buy a box full (1000) as we only load 30 or 40 a year and dont know if they will improve accuracy, or not.
Have read somewhere people in the US make there own .

Thanks for any advise you may have.

ACJ..

Yes, they stap then from old aluminium Pepsi tins with a tool that also puts the flange on them.

But IMHO there's no safe .45/70 standard weighy bullet loading that achieves any sort of velocity where a gas check is 100% absolutely needed.

Or are you loading bullets weighing less than 405 grains?

Last edited:
Hi enfield im loading only 405s .Trying to determine what is acceptalbe grouping for a .45/70 on black powder at 100yds .
Do you know of any forum for .45/70 loads.

Try the American accuratereloading.com forum. It has many sub-forums.

There will be one for blackpowder cartridge rifles and one fir big bore rifles.

But have a thick skin if you dip your toe in their political forum.

Last edited:
Try the American accuratereloading.com forum. It has many sub-forums.

There will be one for blackpowder cartridge rifles and one fir big bore rifles.

But have a thick skin if you dip your toe in their political forum.
Thanks enfield ill have a look on the US Forum.
I never mix politics with pleasure ,so I'm fairly safe .
Thanks ACJ.

Lol , I'm on there fairly regularly , and it does get colourful . And your right about the gas checks , at BP velocities I've never found them necessary . A good bullet lubricant is important though . Again , accuratereloading has a lot of good info on that too .

AB

Yes, they stap then from old aluminium Pepsi tins with a tool that also puts the flange on them.

But IMHO there's no safe .45/70 standard weighy bullet loading that achieves any sort of velocity where a gas check is 100% absolutely needed.

Or are you loading bullets weighing less than 405 grains?
How wrong you are! I have a Siamese Mauser 45-70 that I shoot 300 grain gas check bullets from at 2000+ fps. (These are not loads for replica Sharps, or even Marlin 1895's. Bolt actions and Ruger Falling blocks [or the like] only.) It is not the velocity that warrants the gas check, it's the chamber pressures. Plain base shoot fine, but leave streaks of lead up the barrel. A like bullet with the gas check does not.~Muir

Careful Muir. We don't have these strong .45/70 rifle types here in UK. Mostly Pedersoli Trapdoor replicas or Sharps rifle replicas.

Yes I accept what you say but would caution about any input inferring that a 300 grain bullet a 2,000+ fps is a safe "standard" load.

I know your post says it's not a "standard" load.

But I've known of wrecked replica .45/70 trapdoor or falling block long guns because folk have repeated what they've seen on the 'net.

But, and there's the problem, it's always repeated less the timely warning or your correct observation qualification that accompanied it.

It's ends up trimmed, re-cycled, edited and ultimately repeated as "My mate X read somewhere on a Stalking Forum on the net that you can get 2,000+ fps with 300 grain bullets in the .45/70".

Then off they go, chronograph and all, with their Pedersoli trapdoor replicas and sooner or later it all ends in a big bank, blue smoke and tears.

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately there are some people out there that should not be allowed anywhere near a firearm but they still have an FAL

How wrong you are! I have a Siamese Mauser 45-70 that I shoot 300 grain gas check bullets from at 2000+ fps. (These are not loads for replica Sharps, or even Marlin 1895's. Bolt actions and Ruger Falling blocks [or the like] only.) It is not the velocity that warrants the gas check, it's the chamber pressures. Plain base shoot fine, but leave streaks of lead up the barrel. A like bullet with the gas check does not.~Muir
Is this clear enough of a warning? I thought I was pretty specific.~Muir

Muir,
YES, Your message was very clear the first time and even clearer the second time. IMHO these pretty replicas should be treated as such,or hung on a wall..

Last edited:
The loads I use are "standard" -straight from The Speer Manual, which rightly recognizes that there are different strength classes in rifles chambered for 45-70. If someone is stupid enough to ignore the printed warnings in the manuals, then they deserve to get what they get. ~Muir

The loads I use are "standard" -straight from The Speer Manual, which rightly recognizes that there are different strength classes in rifles chambered for 45-70. If someone is stupid enough to ignore the printed warnings in the manuals, then they deserve to get what they get. ~Muir

+1 Modern Darwinism

Back