General Licence Consultation - Scotland

I've added these comments in the boxes for GL2 and GL3 against woodpigeon:

The Licence controls 365 days a year under what conditions woodpigeon can be shot. It would be better to have an open season when woodpigeon can be shot for food regardless of any need to prove damage to crops of risks to health and for the General Licence to allow control in the close season if this species is causing damage to crops or risk to health. Just as is the case with Canada Geese.

And this comment where the form asks about non-lethal alternatives in the box where it lethal control and how practical and cost effective it is.

The lethal methods are cost effective as many will pay the land occupier to shoot his or her vermin. That's about as cost effective as you can get as in addition to paying they even provide their own cartridges.

Where it asks, Q9 about any concerns about species being included on the General List I've entered this in the box for woodpigeon.

None. Indeed they should have an open season where they can be shot for food regardless of any damage they might be causing to crops or any risk they are causing to human health with a General Licence to allow shooting outside that open season as with Canada Geese.

My own comment under the non lethal alternatives section were - "non lethal alternatives are ineffective in also all cases as these simply move the problem bird on to other area where they will cause other or similar problems. What is required is not population redistribution but population control."

Is it just me that thinks that, because it's Scotland, they will want things different than the rest of the UK and that will mean more onerous restrictions?

Is it just me that thinks that, because it's Scotland, they will want things different than the rest of the UK and that will mean more onerous restrictions?

We usually do things differently, because we have different legislation and governance. I actually think whatever comes out of the GL review will be less onerous. We have a more rural based population and economy.

P.s. for those responding to the survey, I'm not sure if it will be considered unless you have a Scottish post code. My response to the Defra call for evidence was rejected as it did not relate to England

I actually think whatever comes out of the GL review will be less onerous. We have a more rural based population and economy.

The economy and population are certainly more rural based. But the government is very city-centric. It's there where their voters and support comes from and that's where their base is. Keeping them happy will always be a factor. But I hope you're right, slider.

Back