General purpose 223 ammo UK

ravanelli

Using Hornady V max 55gr on fox.
Any suggestions for cheap ammo for general target/gong work? Occasional crow etc?
1:12 twist.......
rav

jonylandrover

PPU 50gr soft point. Cheep and just as good for fox. Iv used them up to the point I started reloading .223 and had very good results! Knocks foxes off there feet with authority!

private fraser

Check if ppu chambers ok in your rifle before you buy a lot.
It's hard to close the bolt on ppu in my Tikka t3 one-in-twelve so I gave up on it.
Hornady v-max 40 grain is a little bit tight to close the bolt on too but it cloverleafs in the rifle so I bear with it.
Federal 55g is no bother and groups about 1" at 100.

Pheasant Feeder

A mate of mine bought some "practice ammo" labeled as Hornady 55gr in a steel case, think he payed £15 for 50 or there abouts. Shoots fine in my 1 in 12 Howa but he's struggling to get good groups in his 1 in 9 Howa. Might be worth seeking some out.

Gibbo1987

I got some cheap Barnaul 6.50 for 20 Russian steel cased 55gr sp to bed in my new .223 they even grouped under moa. Ppu work great good to practice with at the price

ravanelli

Pheasant feeder........ I have the Hornady training ammo. £17.50 per 50. I sighted in using them (and will zero again this weekend as I've adjusted the action in the stock).
I managed sub moa (0.8 inch) @ 100 yds so pleased with that. Will seek out some PPU local to me......

Pheasant Feeder

Pheasant feeder........ I have the Hornady training ammo. £17.50 per 50. I sighted in using them (and will zero again this weekend as I've adjusted the action in the stock).
I managed sub moa (0.8 inch) @ 100 yds so pleased with that. Will seek out some PPU local to me......
I might try a box just for range work at that price its almost plinking ammo.

8x57

Distinguished Member
A couple of boys in the rifle club rave about GGG too, but I'm wondering if it will shoot well out of the 1:12 barrel that ravanelli has (the original poster)?
I suppose the only answer is to try some and see.

JTO

I bought a large batch of Samson before it dried up. If you see it in the East Barnet Gunshop pages again, buy it. I've got enough for reloading to last me, I hope.

night stalker

The Barnaul won't fire in my SGC AR15 clone think they must have a really hard primers so I went for federal American eagle with good results.

Rick