GERMAN WIREHAIRED POINTER

Nickyj58

PUP IS INBOUND FIRST DEER DOG, I HAVE COCKERS AS A KEEPERS DOG SO NOT A COMPLETE NOVICE BUT PLEASE OF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS OR ADVICE LET ME KNOW.

REGARDS

NJ

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

mereside

bond with the dog first and get this strong, play with skins ragging and such like get the pup playing, everyone here says they are slow to mature and need time, my German friends have huge amount of things to do with testing and start early.
just build slowly and break everything down into short exercises that are fun for the dog and don't rush forward, make sure everything you do with the dog is achievable and nailed down before moving on rushing forward will give you nightmares and some things can never be undone. Anything to do with a rifle and deer keep separate depending on what you actually are wanting to achieve, what are you planning for the dog, regards wayne.

Nickyj58

bond with the dog first and get this strong, play with skins ragging and such like get the pup playing, everyone here says they are slow to mature and need time, my German friends have huge amount of things to do with testing and start early.
just build slowly and break everything down into short exercises that are fun for the dog and don't rush forward, make sure everything you do with the dog is achievable and nailed down before moving on rushing forward will give you nightmares and some things can never be undone. Anything to do with a rifle and deer keep separate depending on what you actually are wanting to achieve, what are you planning for the dog, regards wayne.
Sound advice thank you for the reply, he will be used purely for retrieval of deer in wind blow etc etc

mereside

my advise is as above, start with a strong pole and rope with a 2ft piece of skin tied play with the dog and get it to chase latch on and rag the skin, get a carcass for the pup to familiarize itself with and get used to grabbing hold, this is done at pup stage abroad and here many dogs get too old before trying and many don't do this and expect a dog to hold or bay and see the deer pushed on. the ragging and playing with skins will never be boring and it is used all the time after tracks as play/treats. feed the dog on skins and get the prey drive instilled in the dog,regards wayne

devonair

Good luck with the pup, been thinking on getting a replacement dog myself.
Been a year since I lost my labxpointer.
Was considering another cross or GWP
Slowly slowly.......any pics?[/QUOTE]

Cadex

If your pup turns out like the typical GWP the last thing you'll need to teach it is to chase and latch on :)

I've had two, still currently have one and finding the brake was the problem.
You'll need to post a photo of it, best of luck.

Nickyj58

my advise is as above, start with a strong pole and rope with a 2ft piece of skin tied play with the dog and get it to chase latch on and rag the skin, get a carcass for the pup to familiarize itself with and get used to grabbing hold, this is done at pup stage abroad and here many dogs get too old before trying and many don't do this and expect a dog to hold or bay and see the deer pushed on. the ragging and playing with skins will never be boring and it is used all the time after tracks as play/treats. feed the dog on skins and get the prey drive instilled in the dog,regards wayne
Perfect thank you very much, I have carcasses daily so that will not be a problem.

Thanks again

Nickyj58

If your pup turns out like the typical GWP the last thing you'll need to teach it is to chase and latch on :)

I've had two, still currently have one and finding the brake was the problem.
You'll need to post a photo of it, best of luck.
Will do buddy, yep I'll try and get that squared before anything.

.25-06

Sound advice thank you for the reply, he will be used purely for retrieval of deer in wind blow etc etc

You had better draw up a much larger to do list for the dog. They are intelligent needing a fair amount of stimulus and exercise, if left to his own devices his sense of humour to amuse himself rarely matches his owners

300winmag

Hi I have a dog just 3 years old I have put a lot of time into him and still do great dog on deer steady out good manners but one boss
Good points a great buddy keeps you on your toes far more intelligent than people give them great strength and power to hold a deer if needed
Bad points if you could call them that always looking for attention easily distracted attention span not great

Attachments

D.A.Z.

I have no stalking now sadly, I just have to pay for days, this is no good for dog or me. Last year I started him beating and picking up, once he got to grips with it the more I let him think for himself the better he was. Hes the only dog that will point woodcock or able to find them. He loves the water he will retrive ducks off the lake all day long. My mate the keeper was never a fan of pointers hes been converted. What I am trying to say is the more you do with dogs the better they are.

Nickyj58

I have no stalking now sadly, I just have to pay for days, this is no good for dog or me. Last year I started him beating and picking up, once he got to grips with it the more I let him think for himself the better he was. Hes the only dog that will point woodcock or able to find them. He loves the water he will retrive ducks off the lake all day long. My mate the keeper was never a fan of pointers hes been converted. What I am trying to say is the more you do with dogs the better they are.
Ideal I'm a keeper so will get him on the birds to thanks for the advice

philip

100 % agree. Re - call is the hard nut to crack on a wire, patience and calm in bucket loads is the way

After he got the tracking fired up and bang on, my wire took to everything, retrieving anything on land water, foxes , ducks geese, rabbits all game including woodcock they are a pretty awesome breed whatever you throw at em, they do in style, pace and the more they get the more they want.

Mine liked to Range and to hone in on anything, that was his way of sending all the details through his nose, once he trusts you and you him on what they can do it is awesome just to watch them track in their own fearless way, I used to lay a track for use at night and use a thermal, a wires nose is incredible

Good luck with yours I’m sure he will be a credit to you

D.A.Z.

100 % agree. Re - call is the hard nut to crack on a wire, patience and calm in bucket loads is the way

After he got the tracking fired up and bang on, my wire took to everything, retrieving anything on land water, foxes , ducks geese, rabbits all game including woodcock they are a pretty awesome breed whatever you throw at em, they do in style, pace and the more they get the more they want.

Mine liked to Range and to hone in on anything, that was his way of sending all the details through his nose, once he trusts you and you him on what they can do it is awesome just to watch them track in their own fearless way, I used to lay a track for use at night and use a thermal, a wires nose is incredible

Good luck with yours I’m sure he will be a credit to you
He wont range to much to be fair but when he does it seems be down to the wind, Trust is the key, once he has it you have to trust them, I would lose sight of him in say brambles and panic that he had ran on, I would be calling him or getting wound up, I would take a few paces and there he would be on point, then I would be wild at myself. Mine is a SRHP 2 years old. The dog has taught me more that I him. I found consistency is key. when I go to his food bin he runs to the shed and sits on the step, he wont move while I get his food then I fill his bowl all the time hes watching, if wanted I could go make a brew and he will still be there until I tell him he can have it. the kids put treats on the floor for him and make him wait, but these are things ive done from day one now he just does it without being told. He knows hes getting it if he waits. Same with retrieving he sits he waits knowing that if he waits I will let him go which is what he wants to do so hes being rewarded. put time in and theres not much more rewarding than seeing a dog work so well.

SussexFallow

No different to any other working dog just need to put time in which as a keeper you will be..they are headstrong and natural hunters my lad is 7 months know calm as you like you just need to let them know what you want them to do like walk close stalking and range if rough shooting..ive had 4 breeds of HPR these are by far the best.. Enjoy!121424

Siggy

I think the challenge with GWPs is getting their enthusiasm to be directed to what you want to them to do. You need to get them to think that being by your side to be the best place in the world and make them realise that if they stay there, you'll take them to the most exciting activities they can dream of.
The other thing is just when you think you have it cracked, they start trying their own thing. My GWP had her first runner recently which she dealt with very well, but now she thinks that she knows everything and that she doesn't need me any more. We now need to do some remedial training to get her back to being steady to shot again.

Good luck!

Keith Edmunds

You need to get them to think that being by your side to be the best place in the world and make them realise that if they stay there, you'll take them to the most exciting activities they can dream of.
Great advice and equally true with highly driven teckels.