Getting deer stalking permissions

oowee

I have got a permission which is around 500 acres, however it's a cattle farm. Just grass fields and fences/hedgerows - almost no woodland whatsoever. Full of hares but I've never seen a deer there, though I've not been looking for them. Is it unlikely to find them on land like this?
One of my perms is a dairy farm. It's robotic so the cattle are very rarely out and then only by the factory area. Lot's of lovely quiet fields undisturbed it should be great but it's just ok for a few. Another of maybe 70 acres and much busier with cattle coming and going always has deer. Sometimes unlikely places are the best.

JMikeyH

One of my perms is a dairy farm. It's robotic so the cattle are very rarely out and then only by the factory area. Lot's of lovely quiet fields undisturbed it should be great but it's just ok for a few. Another of maybe 70 acres and much busier with cattle coming and going always has deer. Sometimes unlikely places are the best.
Gives me some hope, this cattlefarm I've got permission for is fairly analogue, only robotic part is the milking. Cows are almost always out.

NewForester

Yep! All you need is permission, a deer, and a backstop. Doesn't matter if it's on ten acres, or ten thousand :)
I have 3 very small permissions, 15, 5 and 3 acres, but they all border woodland and have a surprising amount of deer. The first permission came about where it was mentioned by acquaintances that they saw deer on their land and where the wife happened to mention that she was a farmer's daughter. I asked if they would like me to cull the deer and split the meat. (Farmer's daughters aren't too sentimental about shooting deer!). The third permission I got because I was known to get "free" meat for the first two. The "free meat" angle seems to work because I have them calling me up and asking when I am coming back. Mine is not glamorous stuff, sitting in a high seat or in a makeshift hide in an old field shelter.

Dave881

Hi jmikeyh,
The best advice I can give you about getting permission to shoot deer would be, keep doing your vermin control efficiency, cleanly and without causing any disturbance, be professional. Report back to the landowner with what you have shot and if you notice something like pigeons, crows (cattle farms usually have crow problems) or rabbits building up somewhere let them know and offer to deal with it. Likewise if you get asked to deal with something (provided it's legal) get the job done quickly and without any fuss. If you are seeing deer occasionally chuck it in your report if there is a few of them. Once you have a good relationship with the landowner maybe ask if you can take a deer for the pot and offer them a hauch (make sure you make a nice job of butchering it). It's all about building trust and showing that you are professional in what you do. You will be surprised how much difference this can make. A lot of landowners will be far more interested in someone who is a complete package rather than just after deer. One last thing, do not be tempted to embellish numbers as to what you have seen, they work there every day and will very quickly figure out if you are talking rubbish and then it's game over. Good luck, shoot safe and do a good job.
Regards Dave.

Silvius

"I have got a permission which is around 500 acres, however it's a cattle farm. Just grass fields and fences/hedgerows - almost no woodland whatsoever. Full of hares but I've never seen a deer there, though I've not been looking for them. Is it unlikely to find them on land like this?"

I would put up a camera or two on your permission if you have not already. You might find deer. Try to think of pinch points where they would need to enter or exit an area, particularly to or from woodland or scrub. They may use the land more at some seasons than at others too so I would be prepared to try the experiment for a while. It would be unusual I think for them not to have a munch of a quiet hedgerow from time to time.

JMikeyH

I was toying with the idea of a few trail cams scattered at the most likely places I'd think of around after some investigative work, you've just cemented that idea for me

I'll add my pennies worth if I may.... Just like lot of people are advising...it's all about trust. I have spent the last 5 years picking up on a shoot. I made it clear that I have completed and passed DSC 1, and was keen to get into stalking. Note, I made my desire / intention clear - being very distinct from demand. One day last season the keeper said he had a vacancy for a rifle, and would I like to take it up - as, in his own words - he needed someone sensible and trustworthy. Nearly fell off my pegs..... Just keep going, your time will come if you are reliable, trustworthy, helpful and pleasant!! Don't give up and attend as many BASC / BDS socials / events as you can. Get out and about.... Once again, Don't give up!