Glos Police Authority and cabinet fixings, latest advice and experience. Please read if in Glos area.

ChesterP

I can't argue against any of the comments made so far. However, if I want my certs back all signed off, I have only one real recourse. Debate the case using reason...ie evidence that what has been used is fit for purpose if different from what the feo wants, or provide exactly what is asked for which takes the same effort to fit if a little more costly. I chose the easier option. If someone wants the firearms given the unlikely scenario they know about them, the aldi cordless grinder doesn't care what diameter the bolts use are.

deerly departed

Interesting. Just had my safe installed. FEO happy with rawl bolts. But 8 went in... 4 into wall and 4 into other substrate.

However, bearing in mind a locksmith had a Brattonsound opened in 3 minutes flat, the need for ram raiders and hydraulic rams seemsxa bit a stupid waste of effort. The door was jammed shut and keys wouldnt open it eithet.

ChesterP

Mine's just been approved with no issues thankfully. Was informed that there's been issues with a lot of new build houses, either timber frame or thermalite inner blocks. Apparently fitting to a timber frame is a no no, and thermalite really only leaves grout in bolts as rawlbolts crack and crumble thermalite too easily.
I guess an option is to bolt to a garage wall as long as additional security such as cctv and alarms are also in place.

Pedro

Mine's just been approved with no issues thankfully. Was informed that there's been issues with a lot of new build houses, either timber frame or thermalite inner blocks. Apparently fitting to a timber frame is a no no, and thermalite really only leaves grout in bolts as rawlbolts crack and crumble thermalite too easily.
I guess an option is to bolt to a garage wall as long as additional security such as cctv and alarms are also in place.
If the garage is separated from the house, that'll probably cause more problems than it'll solve I bet.

Confidis

I can't argue against any of the comments made so far. However, if I want my certs back all signed off, I have only one real recourse. Debate the case using reason...ie evidence that what has been used is fit for purpose if different from what the feo wants, or provide exactly what is asked for which takes the same effort to fit if a little more costly. I chose the easier option. If someone wants the firearms given the unlikely scenario they know about them, the aldi cordless grinder doesn't care what diameter the bolts use are.
I'd be astonished if I couldn't open my brattonsound cabinet with a small crowbar and a big screwdriver in less than five minutes .

pux

I'm surprised at this, I have just had my renewal by Gloucestershire, no mention of this requirement! In fact i would like to say how easy and professional it was to do my renewals online with Gloucester firearms department.

kes

This all smacks of a rogue FEO. Have you considered asking politely why it is REQUIRED' that you not use rawlbolts as you have experience of others within the County who have not had to follow this requirement - address it to the FLManager and see what comes of it. As you say you will do what needs must which is why, in theory, we have organisations who defend our now very limited freedoms. If any of the orgs have other members in Gloucestershire perhaps they could talk and advise Gloucestershire of the rights and wrongs of security ???