Glyphosate alternatives

Franchi Matt

Looking for some suggestions for Glyphosate alternatives people have moved onto.

Initially when ditching it I bought a load of the RHS alternative, whilst its equally as good (f not better in some aspects) as Glyphosate its ready mixed and ridiculously expensive when reclaiming large areas.

Thanks in advance 👍

timbrayford

Looking for some suggestions for Glyphosate alternatives people have moved onto.

Initially when ditching it I bought a load of the RHS alternative, whilst its equally as good (f not better in some aspects) as Glyphosate its ready mixed and ridiculously expensive when reclaiming large areas.

Thanks in advance 👍
Had you thought of contacting an agricultural supplier? The RHS is very much aimed at domestic consumers rather than larger scale commercial operations.

Lancaster

Thanks in advance 👍
As above try a local agricultural supplies and get some Gallop, £30 ish for 5L of concentrate to mix yourself.

Overlay

Just doing my chemical list for next year and been onto my two suppliers, they have only a dribble of gallop 360 and the others they can’t get so it’s looks like a waiting game for the minute, Jap knotwood chemicals are ok for the time being but that could be old stock, haven’t been on the uk pesticide guide listings yet to see if any new chemicals have been included
looks pretty grim at the moment

Jason Page

As @Pelyma writes: Grazon is very effective on any broadleaf weeds - docks, nettles, brambles etc. It knocks them over much faster (it's actually rather alarming!) than glyphosate and doesn't kill grass. But if you are moving away from glyphosate because of health or environmental concerns, Grazon might not fit the bill. I'm sure I have seen a video of someone placing an open bottle of Grazon next to a stinging nettle and the filming (sped up but over a short period of time) as the nettle keels over and dies. I've got quite a lot of it but I am always a little nervous about breathing it in and try to use it sparringly. It does work though and (from memory - please check!) you can put stock back onto sprayed pasture after a week.

countrryboy

Strictly speaking no agri place or anywhere else should sell u any pesticide now undiluted unless u have the relevant spraying ticket., been like that for a wee while now.

Aye i got some 'headland blast' i think it was called must be grazon based only kills broadleaves, only mixing 15ml in my small sprayer, by time u had sprayed the 1st nettles or dock and wandered about and emptied the sprayer and walked past the 1st sprayed bits they are already wilting, just mental

VSS

Strictly speaking no agri place or anywhere else should sell u any pesticide now undiluted unless u have the relevant spraying ticket., been like that for a wee while now.
It's the person who will be applying the spray, not the person who's buying the spray, who has to have the ticket. Could be one and the same of course, but not necessarily.

JeffreyL

Depending on what you want to do there is no real alternative to Glyphosate. Arguably the most important chemical available to agriculture today, its ability to replace numerous expensive and often ineffective cultivations with a total kill of everything green is unsurpassed. If it is lost as a tool as is being suggested then some sectors of agriculture are in serious trouble.
In common with most agricultural inputs ( and, it seems, everything else) the price of glyphosate has gone through the roof!!

hunta

Grazon is a very effective ( and expensive ) chemical for broad leaf weeds on grassland and fallow/waste areas. Don't be tempted to use on cultivated areas as it has some residual action and will adversely effect germination of seeds and damage young plants.

countrryboy

It's the person who will be applying the spray, not the person who's buying the spray, who has to have the ticket. Could be one and the same of course, but not necessarily.

U may be correct
But I know i was sent in by a farmer i was helping out years ago for some roundup/glyco and agri folk refused point blank to sell me it even on that farms holding number and his account.

Woodsmoke

Gallup is glyphosate, I use the gallup 360, or if I don't want to kill the grass I use Grazon Pro, it dilutes much further and it works much quicker,
Another vote for Grazon Pro. I use it on our horse pasture and it's great for killing off docks while leaving grass. I add a blue marker dye to avoid repeat-coverage

Bonzo dog

Glyphosate is by far the best broad spectrum herbicide for killing off grass, broad leafed weeds and scrub. Adding a wetter such as activator 90 will help its effectiveness massively. When we are spraying rhodo we add mixture b which helps to cut through the waxy leaf and aid up take. It is also systemic, killing the whole plant down to the roots and not just burning the foliage off to regrow. Plus it's cheap.