Gold medal Roe Buck

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I started my Roe buck season on the 7th May, I prefer to let my bucks clean off and put some weight on before I start to cull. I always find it helps to settle them in and for me to have time to assess what is on the ground. This has so far been a very successful season for me, and I have stopped culling at 25 bucks. Nearly every client has taken a buck whist out, one or two have missed and one client managed 3 bucks in two outings, so swings and roundabouts as usual.

I have 3 potential medals that I had seen over the first few days, none of which stood long enough to get a good look. The first was at the very end of March whilst driving off the ground one late evening. The buck certainly seemed to have the mass and the height, but I was cautious about getting to excited as it was about 180 yards in failing light.
The second time I saw this particular buck was in good light, but he was laying down on a headland on the far side of the field, so about 250yds. BUT I could see his head without the aid of binoculars and therefore summissed it was the same buck. This was on the 7th May.

I had seen two other very good bucks on the ground, one on the boundary and the other on what we call the mile. Both very good heads, quite young in my opinion. Along with several good 6 pointers who are too young to take, it appeared to be shaping up to a good buck season. We took most cull bucks very quickly, one in fact 6 minutes out of my truck, bit of luck there!

The big buck from early in the year had been seen by one of my guides and photographed at close quarters, and it appeared to all intense and purposes to be the same buck I had seen earlier and had moved to the other side of a large wood. I intended on letting him go as he appeared to be going back slightly, but had really no real interest in taking him for the moment.

I have several clients who I have known for a number of years, and are more friends now than clients. It was not until one of them expressed an interest in taking a really good buck that I decided to let him try for it. I am not in the habit of just letting good medal bucks go to anyone who can just afford to take one, I would rather let it go to a client or friend who is going to appreciate a buck of a lifetime.
And so it was that on this particular weekend two friends/clients arrived who I had been looking forward to seeing again. Two outings arranged, one evening, one morning.

The evening stalk I took Nick out and managed to grass a cull buck almost within a few feet of where he shot a nice 6 pointer 2 seasons back. Will was with Jason, one of my guides and although bucks were seen, no shot was taken.
The following morning Jason and Will stalked the area where we knew the big buck was to be found, and by around 6 am they had succeeded in taking him. Nick went on with Jason to another areas I have nearby and managed to take 2 further cull bucks in one morning. I on the other hand took the trophy buck back to the larder to cape him off quickly, as the heat of the day was begining to rise and I did not want any slippage on the cape.

I have this morning capped the head right off, and its now washed and lying in salt ready to fix in an acid and salt bath, prior to tanning. The head is boiling off so we will see what it comes out at. I have told Will it will go Gold CIC. I hope I am right, not to be too big headed, I have never been wrong yet:rolleyes: but there's always a first time.

Here are some photos prior to capping it off.
20210618_082631.jpg 20210618_082646.jpg 20210618_082631.jpg

Corvid8x57

That was a cracking weekend & one that will remain with me forever. I picked up the venison this morning from the game dealer & was hoping to have a barbecue this evening but sadly too damp still.

Attachments

• E8A06115-89C4-4820-BB2C-B0030AD5EB38.jpeg
    E8A06115-89C4-4820-BB2C-B0030AD5EB38.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
No only boiled it off a few days ago. As its going to be fully mounted I will have to wait at least 30 days before getting it officially scored. This will need to be done first before its mounted.

sh1kar

Interesting dark colour. The ones I have shot round here as dark as that, inc a silver, have all been thrashing on peas or beans
S

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Gross weight is 498g. Not as much as one would expect, he looked a bit heavier. However I field judged the head as Gold, and up to now have never been wrong with any of my medal bucks. It is an old buck, one can see by the sloping pedicles. Plus his molar teeth are fairly worn down. I would guess his age is about 7 to 8 years. It scored high on pearling, just missing the top mark (0-4 points), awarded 3.5. Scored high for colour at 4. Submerged weight is 218cm.3.
Total score is 136.52
A respectable gold.

I am shoulder mounting the buck for the client, so will post some photos when completed.

Heym SR20

Gross weight is 498g. Not as much as one would expect, he looked a bit heavier. However I field judged the head as Gold, and up to now have never been wrong with any of my medal bucks. It is an old buck, one can see by the sloping pedicles. Plus his molar teeth are fairly worn down. I would guess his age is about 7 to 8 years. It scored high on pearling, just missing the top mark (0-4 points), awarded 3.5. Scored high for colour at 4. Submerged weight is 218cm.3.
Total score is 136.52
A respectable gold.

I am shoulder mounting the buck for the client, so will post some photos when completed.
Really nice buck - have you any indication of age? Clearly you and your neighbours are really managing to look after your deer and letting them get to their full potential before giving them immortality. Quite unlike the "brown is done and into the forestry larder" that I am seeing up here in Scotland.

Shootgun

That's got me seriously keyed up. My buck has dried to a stable 503 grams. Wonder if I'm in with a shout at gold after all?

View attachment 213660
It might, depending of volume !
No. It won’t.
When Malcolm says 498 gross weight, I am assuming that is plus the 90g. So Malcs full scull weighs 588g full scull and dry.

Wrong! Gross weight is before the 90 grams deduction, so Malcs skull will be 409 grams.

I had heavier skull than Malcs but it only scorred high silver because of the volume, but less than 2 points short of gold , so you wouldn't know untill you measure it.