Gong Show

bewsher500

Finally managed some spare time with the welder!

My new 30x30cm hardox gong turned up this morning courtesy of the nice folks at BH Targets (BH Targets - BH Targets)

found a 6m length of re-bar rusting in a gutter a while ago and with some bending and welding have a multi point gong frame which should be able to be used in deep peat or shallow ground
also strings the gong with a slight angle forward to direct splash down every time

Went for pegs to hook chains rather than weld them on, give me height options as well as being able to string two gongs on one frame.

now for some range time

Nice job! I made some gongs a wee while ago out of some ROV-removable pins for subsea structures that I got from work.

I wondered why I didn't hear any 'clangs' as I knew I was on target with the .270 . . . . . . .

Turned out they were only mild steel :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• gong.jpg
    gong.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 66
Those ar500 gongs can really take a beating. With the 3/8 inch plates a 30-06 will only leave a small (>1mm) dimple. Same goes for 243 and 308.

In saying that speed and a small diameter bullet will leave a mark. 223 fmj made no marks but a 22-250 left a pretty big crater maybe 4 mm.

Would like to see the effects of a 220 Swift.

i shot a bullet clean through some rebar before, hopefully that wont happen!
I went with a hoop as even if shot in one leg it should still stand

also put a 180gr 300wm soft point through a 5/8" steel plate and then through two breeze blocks!

17rem, 22-250 will do serious damage at 100yds. I''l only use my slower stuff at that range.

Someone gave me some advice when I first got my gongs,Dump the chain and use an old seatbelt from a scrappy, the lead splash and misplaced bullets go straight through and don't smash the chain.
Nothing worse than watching the Gong fall of after a shot and having to find string etc to fix it.

Ironside

Someone gave me some advice when I first got my gongs,Dump the chain and use an old seatbelt from a scrappy, the lead splash and misplaced bullets go straight through and don't smash the chain.
Nothing worse than watching the Gong fall of after a shot and having to find string etc to fix it.

Ironside

these are welded links, you will have to hit and entirely cut two side of each link...

I like a challenge!

Well the gong took a pounding at out annual 575yd shoot
everything from 223 to 300wm

not even a scratch!

Back