Good Cafes and Greasy Spoons

The Croc

Well-Known Member
#1
As we all like a good fry up, I'm looking for a few recommendations.

My son and myself have our own business, and we travel around a fair bit, get a bit hungry on the way to a site so pull in to an eatery of some description. Some have been good some bad, worst one an M&S services on the M4 expensive crap and only just warm.

One of the best, which we visit when working in Cornwall is Woodys at Sourton Cross on the A30 nr Okehampton.

So where's worth a visit, (if I'm passing that way)

Brian
 

IanF

Well-Known Member
#2
Simple.... the best kept secret in the UK!

Wetherspoons offer a breakfast that tastes fantastic, is well cooked and uses the likes of Heinz beans, free range eggs, smoked bacon and quality sausages.

It is without doubt the best tasting fryup I have ever enjoyed - and it is now my reward for an early start. Served from 9am - 12, it fits nicely with a morning outing.

The most amazing thing?

It is CHEAP!! Yes, at only some £2.80 for the 'Traditional' and a little more for the 'Farmhouse'.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/

Consult the map, give one a try and come back and tell me I am wrong!

Rgds Ian :)
 

The Croc

Well-Known Member
#4
Ian
I agree that Wetherspoons is good but they are not consistant, I've had quite a few breakfasts, and evening meals in them sometimes the meal (breakfast included ) were cold or luke warm. When hot very good

Brian
 

The Croc

Well-Known Member
#5
Rich
Yes been to those and Sainsburys as well, these are all dependent on whose shift it is to cook, 9/10 times its been good though

Brian
 

basil

Distinguished Member
#6
My house!!
Don`t get me wrong here people.
I`ve had a few hunters from different sites stay at my home. The one and only thing i stipulate is that you are vouched for by at least two members.
Our house is basic, but you`ll get the fry up from hell in the morning, you will also feast on basils game cuisine in the evenings.
Best of all? It`s free.
I`m two minutes drive from the M5, J24.
basil.
 

Frax

Well-Known Member
#7
The Salt Box, Hatton, near Burton on Trent

The Cafe at Inverness Bus Station

The butty wagon outside HIS in Inverness

There used to be a cracker in a porta cabin at Willand near Cullompton, near where MVF used to be. No idea if it's still there.
 

docholiday

Well-Known Member
#10
Anybody shooting in Hampshire is welcome to visit me, I think my breakfast would keep you going.
as above a message of confirmation from a couple of members would be good
Doc
 
#11
basil said:
My house!!
Don`t get me wrong here people.
I`ve had a few hunters from different sites stay at my home. The one and only thing i stipulate is that you are vouched for by at least two members.
Our house is basic, but you`ll get the fry up from hell in the morning, you will also feast on basils game cuisine in the evenings.
Best of all? It`s free.
I`m two minutes drive from the M5, J24.
basil.
Now i know where to stop on my way to collumpton over easter. ;)

Jonathon
 

downwind

Well-Known Member
#12
Try the lay-by on the Tavistock to Plymouth road. Just as you leave Tavvy, this guy has been there 20yrs+ and with good reason!! (You'll just have to join the Q- he's very popular)
Cheers, Pete.
 

basil

Distinguished Member
#13
243varmint said:
basil said:
My house!!
Don`t get me wrong here people.
I`ve had a few hunters from different sites stay at my home. The one and only thing i stipulate is that you are vouched for by at least two members.
Our house is basic, but you`ll get the fry up from hell in the morning, you will also feast on basils game cuisine in the evenings.
Best of all? It`s free.
I`m two minutes drive from the M5, J24.
basil.
Now i know where to stop on my way to collumpton over easter. ;)

Jonathon
It`s just down the road from me, it is as i said.....
basil.
 

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
#14
Frax,

Have to agree with the butty wagon outside of HIS, and if you go up Harbour rd in Inverness through the industrial estate as far as the traffic lights, turn left the a quick left again there you will find the Black Isle catering van another triumph of meals on wheels.

John
 

Heym SR20

Well-Known Member
#16
Burger Van at the top of Glen Ogle, just before you get to Lix Toll on the A82.

The cafe at Vane Farm RSPB Nature Reserve - you can watch the geese whilst having a good breakfast - but don't mention the three or four in your car boot!!!
 
#17
The "Eggcup" in Swyre ( Near Bridport).
They only use top quality local ingredients and it's an essential stop for the lads when we venture down that way for some sea fishing.

MH
 

bambislayer

Well-Known Member
#18
Heym SR20 said:
Burger Van at the top of Glen Ogle, just before you get to Lix Toll on the A82.

The cafe at Vane Farm RSPB Nature Reserve - you can watch the geese whilst having a good breakfast - but don't mention the three or four in your car boot!!!
lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Frax

Well-Known Member
#19
I can now thoroughly reccomend the bacon butties in the new cafe inside Inverness HIS...3 rashers of good bacon in a very nice bun! Two of those, a tea and a coffee for £3.99.

Oh, also forgot to say that the breakfast at House of Bruar is pretty good, overpriced but not bad!
 

tika.308

Well-Known Member
#20
for any of you lucky to be able to afford to go out on cannock chase there is a garden centre at wolesley bridge i think its called wyvale they do a really good breakfast,we were working that way the other week.really good.top quality
 

Top