Good old Lee Dies.

Tom D

I was doing some load development recently and having decided on a charge weight I tried experimenting with the seating depth. While I was at it I thought i’d try some neck sized brass vs some FL sized brass. It tried two depths in both sized brass types, everything else was identical. The neck sized brass shot better in both depths. So I have just loaded up some more of both types in my preferred depth and I decided to check the concentricity. The fl sized stuff was +or- 5 thou out, giving a wobble of 10 thou, the neck sized stuff was +or- 1 thou out, giving a wobble of 2 thou. The fl die is a RCBS and the neck die is a Lee.

Mr B

That can’t be right. Lee dies are the worst thing in the world. Everyone will tell you....!

Reactions: JTO

Malxwal

Recently used collet neck dies to size once fired brass, resultant load shot ES of 1fps..... tonights 22-250 group below, three shots at 100yds, albeit virgin brass, but Lee seating. I expect no worse after neck sizing this brass using the collet neck sizer die.
MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1534270355214.jpg_1534270357766.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom D

I really don’t know why people are so down on Lee? I suspect it’s just a snobbish attitude due to the fact that Lee are cheap. Just goes to show that cheap don’t always equal low quality.

i just ordered a custom neck die and custom crimp die for the .20 vartarg from Lee, $120 all in, and that includes $34 postage! You can’t argue with that, two made to measure custom dies for less than £100.

Border

Recently used collet neck dies to size once fired brass, resultant load shot ES of 1fps..... tonights 22-250 group below, three shots at 100yds, albeit virgin brass, but Lee seating. I expect no worse after neck sizing this brass using the collet neck sizer die.
View attachment 99806

The Lee Collet die used in combo with Redding body die to bump shoulder when necessary is another good combination. Nice shooting!

bluesako

i dont use lee dies but if they work for you great carry on using them nice group malxwal 22.250 my fav calibre

Tom D

As an update I recently took delivery of 2 new Lee dies. A collet neck die and a crimp die chambered in .20 vartarg from the Lee custom shop. I have to say that the whole experience was so simple. I sent a fired case and a bullet to lee and they have sent me the dies back in fairly quick time. I loaded up the first 50 rounds a few days ago. Concentricity is + - .001. You can’t ask for more. They were cheap too, for custom made dies, amazing value!

I’ll let you know how they shoot when I get a kid free fine weather day, I might be some time....

CarlW

View attachment 99806

No matter what dies, components or rifle, I couldn't shoot a group like that if my life depended on it. Good shooting, sir!

Kind regards,

Carl

LeftHandGuy

Most of my dies are Lee. I think they are excellent - I have zero issues with consistency. There are only 2 things that give me pause:

1 the lock rings are awful - I get around this by using the quick change bushings, but I now wish I'd just bought the regular classic cast press and a massive bucket of forster or Hornady lock rings.

2 the bullet seating die for 375 H&H magnum distorted my case necks and put the bullets (flat based admittedly) in wonky. Solved this by buying the Hornady BSD, which has the collar to carry the bullets straight up into the die. It's not a gimmick, it genuinely works. But since I only have this issue in one chambering, I won't hesitate to keep buying Lee....

Cheaper is sometimes worse, but equally, some things are just overpriced!