Good taxidermist down south?

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope

willie_gunn

Does anyone know of a good taxidermist in the Newbury/Oxford/Swindon area? I have a roe buck in the freezer ready for a shoulder mount.

Thanks in advance

willie_gunn

Amberdog

Hi Wille i can give you a number for a lad in wetherby in north yorkshire it's not far from leeds 20 miles,he mounts lots of medal heads,when i poped in to see him he had the scotch number 2 head in + lots of other golds,roe,sika,munties and cwd he had 10 pairs of cwd tusks all golds also lots from africa
he's called Garry Tattern tell 0137581077
if you contact him just tell him the lad with the stalking at berwick on tweed gave you his number
amberdog

willie_gunn

Amberdog

Many thanks for the reply. I'm trying to find someone a bit closer to home if possible, but if I don't have any luck I might well give Garry a call - he sounds pretty good!

Thanks again.

willie_gunn

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Willie
I know a very good Taxidermist near Dorchester if that's close enough send me a pm.
Here are a couple of examples of his work.

DSC00501.jpg

Wayne

sako85

Or theres Greg Keeble on the A303 by Thruxton, a chap in Salisbury who i cant remember his name, Dawn Warr near Chesil Bank, Paul Taylor Dorchester, and someone in Bath, again i cant remember his name but can get it for you.

willie_gunn

sako85

Many thanks for this.

Now the crunch question.....if it was your deer that was being mounted, which one would you choose? ;)

willie_gunn

sako85

Only witnessed Paul Taylors work so cant comment on the rest. It was very good but I dont expect you'll see it for a good 9-12 months. But as they say " good things come to those who wait"!

Saying that I have seen a Teal done by G.Keeble and that was excellent.

Me personally I'd toss a coin, with Greg you'll get it done quicker and cheaper, but Paul has an excellent reputation.

willie_gunn

Brian

Many thanks for the post. The roe is still sitting in my freezer along with a Tawny Owl I found dead on the road, so I'll get in touch with Claire to see what she thinks.

willie_gunn

basil

Distinguished Member
Brian Phipps said:
A bit late in this post, but I was sent down to Dorset to do a feature on Claire Fowler of Freedom Taxidermy for Sporting Rifle Magazine this year.

I thought her work was superb and her attention to detail was second to none a real perfectionist.

I wouldn`t hesitate in reconmending her.

www.freedomtaxidermy.co.uk

Regards
Brian Phipps

www.brianphipps.net
www.riflephoto.com
I reckon this is the same Claire as i mentioned earlier.
basil.

willie_gunn

Basil

It might well be. Her work looks really good, and the pricing is very competitive.

Now I just need to convince the holder of the purse strings ;)

willie_gunn

pheasant sniper 1

Ive been to Paul taylors this afternoon and i have to say his work is amazing

He has a beautifull full CWD an amazing Coyote and the Half Buffalo with front legs is huge. He has a good few Roe Sika and Muntjac near completion

His attention to detail was inspiring as was his patience and time he spent with me.

Hes a nice fella and even cut one of the boiled heads i had taken down with a querry on possible bone disease.

Terry

pip

The taxidermist near Bath is John Jones. He is excellent (he's done 1 each off all 6 species of British deer for me plus a fox) but takes ages to do them. His prices are very competitive aswell.

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...